Do I get leaver...

General Discussion
1 2 3 11 Next
Highly Rated
Do I get leaver for leaving a game that just started? I've been getting nothing but Defend for Volskaya and I'm -really- tired of it.
Yes you will, unless the game isn't full yet and it says 'Waiting...' on the tab screen.

You can afford to leave a couple games every now and then though, so if something like this happens rarely enough you should be fine.
You can leave without penalty all the way up to the end of the timer for "assemble your team." After that, yes, it counts against your leaver stats.
06/02/2016 09:10 PMPosted by Eve
You can leave without penalty all the way up to the end of the timer for "assemble your team." After that, yes, it counts against your leaver stats.

assemble team is still leaver
We've seen similar questions about how the leaver penalty currently works in Quick Play (both here and on social media), so here’s a bit more information:

• If you leave too many games and your “games played” vs “games completed” percentage falls below our required threshold, you will receive a warning message (this percentage is calculated based on your 20 most recent games).

• If you continue to leave games after receiving a warning (which will display in the lower left-hand corner of your screen), you will incur a 75% EXP penalty on all future games.

• The penalty isn’t time-based, but instead will be removed once you complete enough games to raise your “games played” vs “games completed” percentage above our required threshold (again, this percentage is calculated based on your 20 most recent games).

• If you disconnect or are removed due to inactivity from a game, it will count the same as if you leave the game intentionally.

If you leave a game before the “Assemble Your Team” phase is over (i.e. before you enter your starting spawn rooms):
  • It won’t count as a game played
  • You will not be considered a “leaver” in this scenario

If you leave a game after the match ends (i.e. after you see the VICTORY/DEFEAT screen):
  • It will count as a game played—and if your team won, it will count as a win

If you leave a game after the “Assemble Your Team” phase is over, but before the match ends:
  • It will count as a game played
  • You will be considered a “leaver” in this scenario

Hopefully that helps! If you see the game behaving in a way that's different from what's listed above, be sure to let us know by posting in the Bug Report forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: More info below.

06/08/2016 12:38 PMPosted by Lylirra
As a quick reminder: Leaving a couple games in a row won't cause you to be penalized in any way. We understand that there are circumstances, either in or outside of your control, that may necessitate you needing to step away from a game before it ends. It's only if you repeatedly leave games in succession, to the point where it could be considered a habitual behavior, that you will be penalized.

The threshold at which the 75% EXP penalty will activate is actually pretty high. (Not only that, but you will receive a very clear warning message on the main menu if you are getting close to that threshold before any penalty is applied.)

With that said, here are some additional answers to your questions!

06/06/2016 08:08 PMPosted by DoctorWorm
What if a friend is mid game and I invite him to a group and it takes him out of the game?

If you join a group and, as a result, leave your current game either a) after "Assemble Your Team" has ended or b) before you see the VICTORY/DEFEAT screen, you will be considered a "leaver."

We've definitely seen posts that this process (i.e. the fact that when you join a group, you will be automatically removed from your current game) may not always feel great, and that's certainly feedback for us to consider.

06/06/2016 11:10 PMPosted by RealHankHill
Wait, so are you telling me when the disconnect is on serverside for no reason and it won't let me reconnect. It counts as me leaving on purpose? There is no way I'm reading this right am I?

If your computer drops its connection to the game server (due to any number of potential issues or hiccups), and this disconnect occurs either a) after "Assemble Your Team" has ended or b) before you see the VICTORY/DEFEAT screen, you will be considered a "leaver."

If the game server drops its connection to your computer (due to it no longer being available) at any point during a match, you will not be considered a "leaver."

06/07/2016 02:13 AMPosted by SodaSeven
I just accidentally joined a friends game as a spectator. Left, and it occurred to me that it might be considered leaving.

Quick google search later, turns out leaving as a spectator counts against you. This needs to be fixed.

This is not intended! Can you please post details in our Bug Report forum?
06/06/2016 08:04 PMPosted by Lylirra
We've seen similar questions about how the leaver penalty currently works in Quick Play (both here and on social media), so here’s a bit more information:

• If you leave too many games and your “games played” vs “games completed” percentage falls below our required threshold, you will receive a warning message (this percentage is calculated based on your 20 most recent games).

• If you continue to leave games after receiving a warning (which will display in the lower left-hand corner of your screen), you will incur a 75% EXP penalty on all future games.

• The penalty isn’t time-based, but instead will be removed once you complete enough games to raise your “games played” vs “games completed” percentage above our required threshold (again, this percentage is calculated based on your 20 most recent games).

• If you disconnect or are removed due to inactivity from a game, it will count the same as if you leave the game intentionally.

If you leave a game before the “Assemble Your Team” phase is over (i.e. before you enter your starting spawn rooms):

If you leave a game after the match ends (i.e. after you see the VICTORY/DEFEAT screen):

If you leave a game after the “Assemble Your Team” phase is over, but before the match ends:

Hopefully that helps! If you see the game behaving in a way that's different from what's listed above, be sure to let us know by posting in the Bug Report forum.

What if a friend is mid game and I invite him to a group and it takes him out of the game?
What about if I am spectating my friends, which means I'm technically 'in the game' but not participating, and I get dropped into the enemy team? I usually just leave immediately when that happens. Does that count as being a leaver? All I really wanted to do was watch my friends play while I ate or something.

Yea I want to know this to.
It was posted yesterday by a blue that accepting an invite during a game counts as a leave.

[/quote]

This is the most interesting bit of news to me. So that means that you can get a quick preview if your team is going to play with a terrible comp and opt out without penalty.

Also, in case a blue reads this - please add "Mystery Heros" as a default game mode. Thanks.
06/06/2016 08:13 PMPosted by Ozzy

Yea I want to know this to.

It would be the same thing, he/she left mid game and it would count as a leave. Doesn't matter if it was an invite because they left a match mid game so a leaver penalty will apply if they do so because they left between the start and finish.

That's not cool. There are some nights where I seem to randomly disconnect from Overwatch (and only Overwatch, not D3, not anything on Steam etc). I'll try logging back in a half dozen times and rejoin that same game, but I'll keep getting disconnected. I don't think disconnects should be categorized with intentionally leaving the game.

Oddly enough, I've never been disconnected from Overwatch while chilling in the lobby. It's 100% of the time been when I'm flying around between team members at max shift range in rapid intervals.
06/06/2016 09:33 PMPosted by Warpp

That's not cool. There are some nights where I seem to randomly disconnect from Overwatch (and only Overwatch, not D3, not anything on Steam etc). I'll try logging back in a half dozen times and rejoin that same game, but I'll keep getting disconnected. I don't think disconnects should be categorized with intentionally leaving the game.

Oddly enough, I've never been disconnected from Overwatch while chilling in the lobby. It's 100% of the time been when I'm flying around between team members at max shift range in rapid intervals.

It has to be counted or people will just pull the plug or use a disconnect program to leave at will.
06/06/2016 09:50 PMPosted by OSUNightfall

It has to be counted or people will just pull the plug or use a disconnect program to leave at will.

Innocent until proven guilty. One ought not make rules for the sake of the exception that will take advantage of those rules; one penalizes misuse, not proper use.

Besides, there should still be some way to appeal. Sometimes I just leave to grab a soda from the other room and the game kicks me due to inactivity. With the game so eager to kick me, there ought to be some kind of lenience possible. For instance, if you rejoin the same game (after being kicked for idleness) even as a spectator, it shouldn't count as an abandoned game, right?

I mean a 75% exp penalty is pretty brutal.

First of all, can't downvote blues. You guys should fix that.

Second, your matchmaking is obviously rigged. People wouldn't be compelled to quit games so often if you didn't ruin them before they began.

I'd like to know this too. Would seem a bit odd for Blizzard to implement a feature that pops up mid game that will punish you for accepting an invite that forces you to leave the game.

It may seem unfair - but the opportunity to abuse the "WELP JUST GONNA DISABLE MY INTERNET TO AVOID THIS LOSS" is real. People historically haven't shied away from "pulling the plug" to gain an advantage.

It's also not the 11 other people in that game's responsibility to ensure you have a good connection, and it's not fair they may have to potentially suffer from a "random outage".

The good of the many out weigh the good of the one. I, for one, am very glad to see this put in place. Leavers/AFK'ers made League borderline unplayable for me. I cannot stand a 4v5 because little tommy's mom turned off the internet so he would do his homework. I shouldn't be punished for other people not having adequate time to play.

Additionally, I feel that if the team is to lose - the person who filled into the game in progress shouldn't be credited with a loss. It should be given to the player who initially left/afk'd/disconnected. Conversely the win, with a "Savior" bonus should go to the replacement player.

My one feedback is;

It will count as a game played—and if your team won, it will count as a win
You will not be considered a “leaver” in this scenario

Players have been posting about this not necessarily always being true. I've personally had a game count as a loss while leaving the match during play of the game.
Totally agree with Break on this. Trust us, you DON'T want to see what will happen to this game if DCs were not considered a "leave". Also, unless it's 5/20 games this happens, then you have nothing to worry about.
Wait, so are you telling me when the disconnect is on serverside for no reason and it won't let me reconnect. It counts as me leaving on purpose? There is no way I'm reading this right am I?