Do I get leaver...

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
So, if I get disconnected by Overwatch then reconnect and rejoin the game, followed by another disconnect from Overwatch does that count as leaving twice? Because if it is going to punish me for trying to get back to my game I would like to know.
06/06/2016 11:29 PMPosted by GrenthukJr
So, if I get disconnected by Overwatch then reconnect and rejoin the game, followed by another disconnect from Overwatch does that count as leaving twice? Because if it is going to punish me for trying to get back to my game I would like to know.

THere is no coming back in your game and yes it counts as 2 leaves.
They have no leavers system design you cant actually recconect so they treat you as garbage.
You either play for couple of hours or you dont get experience.
If you jsut get in for 1 game and than leave you will have leavers penalty every day.
06/02/2016 09:08 PMPosted by Zeke
Do I get leaver for leaving a game that just started? I've been getting nothing but Defend for Volskaya and I'm -really- tired of it.

Read this thread, you aren't the only one that has this issue:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745114793#post-1
06/06/2016 10:49 PMPosted by Snakes
06/06/2016 08:08 PMPosted by DoctorWorm

What if a friend is mid game and I invite him to a group and it takes him out of the game?

I'd like to know this too. Would seem a bit odd for Blizzard to implement a feature that pops up mid game that will punish you for accepting an invite that forces you to leave the game.

Same thing here, I'd like to know about this scenario.
06/06/2016 08:24 PMPosted by Wuhjiko
06/06/2016 08:13 PMPosted by Ozzy

Yea I want to know this to.

It would be the same thing, he/she left mid game and it would count as a leave. Doesn't matter if it was an invite because they left a match mid game so a leaver penalty will apply if they do so because they left between the start and finish.

Well you're just assuming things here. It seem silly that I should be penalized because I accepted a group invite.

Would like an official response on this.
This is the information I gathered about the leaver penalty, but I will probably get ignored and down voted forever because people hate me ...

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745244399
06/06/2016 11:32 PMPosted by Miroshi
06/06/2016 11:29 PMPosted by GrenthukJr

THere is no coming back in your game and yes it counts as 2 leaves.
They have no leavers system design you cant actually recconect so they treat you as garbage.
You either play for couple of hours or you dont get experience.
If you jsut get in for 1 game and than leave you will have leavers penalty every day.

Ah thanks, this has only happened once. I play with my friends so I didn't want to just bail on them but the game disconnected me from the same match three times in a row before I just gave up.

Still average around 3-3.5k exp a game so I don't think I'm in the box yet.
Remember folks: people wouldn't quit if they were having fun. How long will a game survive if people get punished for trying to have fun?
I'd like to just point out that getting the leaver status does not net you with a loss as it should be. This should be addressed asap!
06/06/2016 11:44 PMPosted by JadenErius
I'd like to just point out that getting the leaver status does not net you with a loss as it should be. This should be addressed asap!
No.

Getting punished isn't fun. Getting punished for not having fun in the first place is even less fun.

People quit games for two reasons: something more important came up, or they weren't having fun. They're already having a bad enough time where they want to get out of the match they're in. On top of that frustration you now want them to get another loss for quitting?

Do you want other people to play with or...?
06/06/2016 11:44 PMPosted by Jbones
Remember folks: people wouldn't quit if they were having fun. How long will a game survive if people get punished for trying to have fun?

A system like this is there to discourage people from just quitting every game that it looks like they're going to lose, and that is almost universally going to be the kind of person the system affects. This may come as a surprise, but a lot of people get angry any time they aren't winning and would rather quit and try again then stay for a loss. Gotta get those percentage points up I suppose.
What about exp after you leave the game when it says deafeat / win ? Do I have to watch the POTG and everything to get the full bonuses because it gets calculated at the end ?

Wouldnt think so because it would be nonsense but who knows ....
06/06/2016 09:33 PMPosted by Warpp
06/06/2016 08:04 PMPosted by Lylirra

• If you disconnect or are removed due to inactivity from a game, it will count the same as if you leave the game intentionally.

That's not cool. There are some nights where I seem to randomly disconnect from Overwatch (and only Overwatch, not D3, not anything on Steam etc). I'll try logging back in a half dozen times and rejoin that same game, but I'll keep getting disconnected. I don't think disconnects should be categorized with intentionally leaving the game.

Oddly enough, I've never been disconnected from Overwatch while chilling in the lobby. It's 100% of the time been when I'm flying around between team members at max shift range in rapid intervals.

Blame your internet, not Blizz. It's easy to fake disconnects.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It has to be counted or people will just pull the plug or use a disconnect program to leave at will.

Innocent until proven guilty. One ought not make rules for the sake of the exception that will take advantage of those rules; one penalizes misuse, not proper use.

Besides, there should still be some way to appeal. Sometimes I just leave to grab a soda from the other room and the game kicks me due to inactivity. With the game so eager to kick me, there ought to be some kind of lenience possible. For instance, if you rejoin the same game (after being kicked for idleness) even as a spectator, it shouldn't count as an abandoned game, right?

I mean a 75% exp penalty is pretty brutal.

First of all, a standard used for criminal trials is hardly required for a game where the max punishment is 75% EXP loss. Especially when the EXP only really affects cosmetics at this point.

Secondly, it might be "innocent until proven guilty", but leaving a game gives a presumption of guilt. Your client disconnecting from the game is pretty hard proof that you left the game. Its a leaver penalty - the reason why doesnt really matter.

Thirdly, the threshold seems pretty low. Ive left maybe 3-4 of my past 20 games because friends invite me to a group - no warning yet. I assume that the threshold is around 15/20 for a warning, lower for the actual penalty. If you get hit with the penalty, at max that means playing 15 games without leaving. If your computer isnt able to handle playing 2 hours without disconnecting, then maybe an online team game isnt for you.

Edit - actually, I upgraded my RAM because of this game last Saturday. Many times the game wouldnt even load and I'd get a warning that id be kicked due to inactivity. I would get 5+ of these in a row before I just gave up trying to connect. Didnt get a warning back then either.

That's not cool. There are some nights where I seem to randomly disconnect from Overwatch (and only Overwatch, not D3, not anything on Steam etc). I'll try logging back in a half dozen times and rejoin that same game, but I'll keep getting disconnected. I don't think disconnects should be categorized with intentionally leaving the game.

Oddly enough, I've never been disconnected from Overwatch while chilling in the lobby. It's 100% of the time been when I'm flying around between team members at max shift range in rapid intervals.

It may seem unfair - but the opportunity to abuse the "WELP JUST GONNA DISABLE MY INTERNET TO AVOID THIS LOSS" is real. People historically haven't shied away from "pulling the plug" to gain an advantage.

It's also not the 11 other people in that game's responsibility to ensure you have a good connection, and it's not fair they may have to potentially suffer from a "random outage".

The good of the many out weigh the good of the one. I, for one, am very glad to see this put in place. Leavers/AFK'ers made League borderline unplayable for me. I cannot stand a 4v5 because little tommy's mom turned off the internet so he would do his homework. I shouldn't be punished for other people not having adequate time to play.

Additionally, I feel that if the team is to lose - the person who filled into the game in progress shouldn't be credited with a loss. It should be given to the player who initially left/afk'd/disconnected. Conversely the win, with a "Savior" bonus should go to the replacement player.

My one feedback is;

If you leave a game after the match ends (i.e. after you see the VICTORY/DEFEAT screen):
It will count as a game played—and if your team won, it will count as a win
You will not be considered a “leaver” in this scenario

Players have been posting about this not necessarily always being true. I've personally had a game count as a loss while leaving the match during play of the game.

06/06/2016 10:58 PMPosted by Break

It may seem unfair - but the opportunity to abuse the "WELP JUST GONNA DISABLE MY INTERNET TO AVOID THIS LOSS" is real. People historically haven't shied away from "pulling the plug" to gain an advantage.

It's also not the 11 other people in that game's responsibility to ensure you have a good connection, and it's not fair they may have to potentially suffer from a "random outage".

[/quote]

While it's not the other 11 people's fault, it's not always the user's internet connection either. If I can run Skype and Discord on the some setup with no interruption, and a second instance of Overwatch on a another PC/Xbox with no interruption, it might very well be with the particular game instance I had been placed in.

Yeah, I get you, people will disable their internet to avoid losses, but that is easy to track. I mean, you could view people's disconnects against their W/L record back in Battle.net 1.0; the "technology is there" to automatically detect that kind of abuse if we were able to tell which people were abusing disconnects 10+ years ago.
What happens when you are disconnected from the game and your team ends up winning.

1. Does it count as a leave?
2. Does it count as a win or loss?
06/06/2016 11:59 PMPosted by Jbones
Do you want other people to play with or...?

Yes. Which is why some sort of penalty for the people who keep bailing and screwing over the team because they don't like the map / it looks like they're going to lose / they're dying too often needs to be there.

If it's because you keep getting disconnected from the server, maybe that's something to look into. Whether something else is eating up your bandwidth (on your computer or someone else in the house), maybe you aren't connected to the most optimal server, maybe you're trying to play during a period when your region has high internet traffic, etc.

Repeatedly bashing your head into the wall and accruing disconnect after disconnect within a matter of minutes, when you know there's a leaver penalty that kicks in at 25% of the past 20 games left, is kind of on you.
  • If you disconnect or are removed due to inactivity from a game, it will count the same as if you leave the game intentionally.

How come this counts as leaving a game if booted for inactivity during assembly, yet, if I intentionally leave during this phase it doesn't, since it kicks you out before the phase ends? This doesn't make any sense.
I just accidentally joined a friends game as a spectator. Left, and it occurred to me that it might be considered leaving.

Quick google search later, turns out leaving as a spectator counts against you. This needs to be fixed.
06/06/2016 08:08 PMPosted by DoctorWorm
We've seen similar questions about how the leaver penalty currently works in Quick Play (both here and on social media), so here’s a bit more information:

• If you leave too many games and your “games played” vs “games completed” percentage falls below our required threshold, you will receive a warning message (this percentage is calculated based on your 20 most recent games).

• If you continue to leave games after receiving a warning (which will display in the lower left-hand corner of your screen), you will incur a 75% EXP penalty on all future games.

• The penalty isn’t time-based, but instead will be removed once you complete enough games to raise your “games played” vs “games completed” percentage above our required threshold (again, this percentage is calculated based on your 20 most recent games).

If you leave a game before the “Assemble Your Team” phase is over (i.e. before you enter your starting spawn rooms):
  • It won’t count as a game played
  • You will not be considered a “leaver” in this scenario

If you leave a game after the match ends (i.e. after you see the VICTORY/DEFEAT screen):
  • It will count as a game played—and if your team won, it will count as a win
  • You will not be considered a “leaver” in this scenario

If you leave a game after the “Assemble Your Team” phase is over, but before the match ends:
  • It will count as a game played
  • You will be considered a “leaver” in this scenario

Hopefully that helps! If you see the game behaving in a way that's different from what's listed above, be sure to let us know by posting in the Bug Report forum.

What if a friend is mid game and I invite him to a group and it takes him out of the game?

then if they meet the condition where they are a leaver, that's that, otherwise it would be abusable, wait for your friends games to complete before inviting them