Enter Game: Immediate Defeat

General Discussion
Highly Rated
Blizzard,
I'm starting to get tired of entering games and immediately seeing the word "Defeat" go across my screen. Isn't there a way that you can prevent people from entering games in the last 3-5 seconds of a match. This should work even through overtime since overtime lasts longer than 3-5 seconds.

Just a thought. Not sure if anyone else feels the similar.

Thank you :)
This is reasonable in my opinion. I should think putting a restriction on joining games with countdowns under 1 minute is possible.

Only had it happen a couple times though, bad luck Hirokx.
Backfilling in general needs to be reworked. Games really shouldn't continue when a team is down 2 or more players and the leaver penalty needs a serious boost to prevent people from quitting in the first place.
was about to make a topic about this, its happening WAYYY to often. WAAAAAAAAY to often blizzard.

joining a match that is lost within 2 min is pure frustration.
06/16/2016 07:54 PMPosted by Exponentious

Only had it happen a couple times though, bad luck Hirokx.
indeed it is bad luck and I hope blizzard will address this in the next patch.
06/16/2016 07:57 PMPosted by GUNN4EVER
its happening WAYYY to often. WAAAAAAAAY to often blizzard

Stop leaving servers all the time and going into the general player pool. I have 1100+ games into the system and only get that lame "...and it's over" sort of game once every 3rd night or so? Maybe once every 60+ games?

it's hardly even an issue really.

being I never leave a server on my own. I just play out the game and then wait for the next round to start 100% fresh. Match making will remove players, shuffle the teams and so on.

The only time I go back into the player pool is when match making shuts down the server I am on and moves all of us back into the player pool. Try sticking to one server and trust me, the lame back fill issue will go away.
I agree this is a rotten thing to have happen, I've seen it and experienced it personally. But how do you fix it without utterly dooming a team when a few people decide the match is a lost cause and leave? Should the slots just stay empty? At what point is a match not able to be salvaged by someone who is backfilled?
I don't know how accurate it is, but I'm told it doesn't count as a defeat if you lose after joining mid-match. I haven't actually cared about win percentages enough to test it, but if true then there doesn't seem to be any real downside to joining a lost game other than "mah feelz."
06/16/2016 07:50 PMPosted by Hirokx
Blizzard,
I'm starting to get tired of entering games and immediately seeing the word "Defeat" go across my screen. Isn't there a way that you can prevent people from entering games in the last 3-5 seconds of a match. This should work even through overtime since overtime lasts longer than 3-5 seconds.

Just a thought. Not sure if anyone else feels the similar.

Thank you :)

You're joining a match in progress. Unless it throws you back into the queue again right after, it's working fine.

Haven't you every used a server browser before in classic FPS games? This is all you could do, join games in progress...sometimes they are almost over. Would you rather wait 10 seconds longer in queue to be put in that same lobby after the defeat screen was over? It's the same thing.

Ranked play will have a more structured start and stop with no backfills. Just be patient for that if your ego can't handle the words "Defeat" to a match you had nothing to do with. :-p
06/16/2016 08:46 PMPosted by Sufpoidbug
I don't know how accurate it is, but I'm told it doesn't count as a defeat if you lose after joining mid-match. I haven't actually cared about win percentages enough to test it, but if true then there doesn't seem to be any real downside to joining a lost game other than "mah feelz."

It's not supposed to count as a lose. Currently it's counting it in your profile, but that's a bug that should be fixed in the Ranked Play patch.
On my loss rotation id much rather see a defeat screen then play a 10-15min map with the 5 blind paraplegics they put me with.
im never understand the people what quit when lose in one minute, don´t care the exp for they?
I mostly get backfilled into games that immediately gets a defeat as a solo queue. In a two hour session, I get around 3 games that's like this when playing solo, but rarely more. I've only had one or two instances where it happened since release when queuing as two.

Be nice to not have it count as a loss if you're backfilled into a game that ends in less than 1 min (30 seconds?) after joining or a certain percentage of the time of the match? Maybe a mix of both?
Free xp? Don't worry about the stats, they're skewed based on game length too, and don't really do anything.

Also I late joined a game that was 5:00 from being over, with the payload being about 5m from the destination, on defense.

We won that one, and I'd like to think it was me joining as bastion and proceeding to kill the !@#$ out of the other team really effectively. I got play of the game, 400 bonus late join xp, and a nice sense of satisfaction.
Dont be passing 50% now. Gotta bring ya back.
I had a match where the enemy team had 13 separate players overall. There is definitely an issue with people quitting. Sure, one of them could have had a connection/PC issue but not all of them.
And some of them must have been annoyed when their teammates quit 1 minute in and they still chose to do the same thing 30 seconds later.

Obviously they were quitting because they were losing, and then the people joining were quitting because they just joined a losing team. To be fair the empty slots were getting filled pretty much instantly, but in a game that requires even a minimum amount of co-ordination it's already put too much time wasted.

I think joining late is fine. I have had matches go from losing at overtime before the first checkpoint all the way to a turnaround victory. But people dropping in and out so often is just making it unpleasant for some. They didn't even have a garbage team setup or anything.
My favorite is where you don't even see the character select screen.

Match Found > Load Screen > DEFEAT!

Yep, I really could've turned that one around.

Getting one with like 20s or less on the clock isn't much better.
I never get any backfill exp when this happens.
Made a thread on this two days ago myself. This seems like a really stupid oversight.
I pretty much ALWAYS get stuck in fscking backfills when I queue alone. It's so annoying. I care about my Win%. Not a TON, but enough to get annoyed by this loading me up with BS losses.