Enter Game: Immediate Defeat

General Discussion
happy to say I have not had a game that was an immediate defeat but had one that was very close I literally carried the entire team as rein by slaming the enemy healer, and following with the most panicked game of whack a mole on the capture point, that was an insanely hectic experience.
This rarely happened to me before the last patch, now it happens pretty often and it's pretty annoying. I hope they address this. You shouldn't be joining games with less than a minute left on the clock.
06/16/2016 08:46 PMPosted by Connatic
You're joining a match in progress. Unless it throws you back into the queue again right after, it's working fine.
Would you consider it "in progress" or "ending" since it's showing "Defeat" or "Victory" going across the screen? I would consider this as "ending" rather than "in progress". Joining during overtime would be ok for me - though I wouldn't like it, it still gives me some time to play.

Haven't you every used a server browser before in classic FPS games?
No. The last time I played a FPS was Marathon.
This is all you could do, join games in progress...sometimes they are almost over. Would you rather wait 10 seconds longer in queue to be put in that same lobby after the defeat screen was over? It's the same thing.
I wouldn't mind waiting 10 seconds longer.

Ranked play will have a more structured start and stop with no backfills. Just be patient for that if your ego can't handle the words "Defeat" to a match you had nothing to do with. :-p
It's not an ego thing. Its more like:
Me: Yeah I can play now!
OW: Just kidding "DEFEAT" or "VICTORY"
Me: Oh... back to queue again

06/16/2016 08:46 PMPosted by Sufpoidbug
I don't know how accurate it is, but I'm told it doesn't count as a defeat if you lose after joining mid-match. I haven't actually cared about win percentages enough to test it, but if true then there doesn't seem to be any real downside to joining a lost game other than "mah feelz."

I will try and keep an eye out for this. Thanks for the heads up.
06/16/2016 10:12 PMPosted by ShivaX
My favorite is where you don't even see the character select screen.

Match Found > Load Screen > DEFEAT!

Yep, I really could've turned that one around.

Getting one with like 20s or less on the clock isn't much better.

This is exactly what I'm talking about but I as well as another poster has made comebacks with the last seconds counting due to rolling bastion or me as Mercy healing the tank.

Blizzard,
I'm not saying every match is going to be a win but at least give us a chance instead of starting us off with the defeat or victory screen. I'm literally not doing anything.
Yeah leaver penalty needs to be more severe. I get leavers all the time who just leave the first time they die by doing something stupid. Its really not fair to either team had one last night where we wrecked them on a control match first round and 4 of them left so all those back fill people had to start one round down. The exp penalty is not enough if people leave enough they need to be put in their own separate queue for a while with other leavers until they have a higher % of fully played games. You cannot tell me there are not enough leavers out there to have their own queue they are in almost every match.
06/16/2016 07:50 PMPosted by Hirokx
Blizzard,
I'm starting to get tired of entering games and immediately seeing the word "Defeat" go across my screen. Isn't there a way that you can prevent people from entering games in the last 3-5 seconds of a match. This should work even through overtime since overtime lasts longer than 3-5 seconds.

Just a thought. Not sure if anyone else feels the similar.

Thank you :)

We'll look into making some improvements. We want this to be better. Something to consider in the meantime: We only know if a match is "about to be lost" if the defending team is winning and time is about to run out. Also, each person's loading times are very different. Some of our players can take 1+ minute to even load into a game. Please don't take this as me saying everything is fine. We definitely want to improve the experience. I am just trying to give some insight to the fact that it's not a black and white problem.

Also, ultimately, we want to make players realize that when you backfill into a match, there should be no downside -- meaning you should take no loss and gain a bunch of "free" exp.

There's no backfilling in Competitive Play.
06/17/2016 08:29 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Blizzard,
I'm starting to get tired of entering games and immediately seeing the word "Defeat" go across my screen. Isn't there a way that you can prevent people from entering games in the last 3-5 seconds of a match. This should work even through overtime since overtime lasts longer than 3-5 seconds.

We'll look into making some improvements. We want this to be better. Something to consider in the meantime: We only know if a match is "about to be lost" if the defending team is winning and time is about to run out. Also, each person's loading times are very different. Some of our players can take 1+ minute to even load into a game. Please don't take this as me saying everything is fine. We definitely want to improve the experience. I am just trying to give some insight to the fact that it's not a black and white problem.

Also, ultimately, we want to make players realize that when you backfill into a match, there should be no downside -- meaning you should take no loss and gain a bunch of "free" exp.

Thanks for the clarification Jeff, much appreciated. Could you clarify on the backfilling in competitive? If one player were to drop for whatever reason, it would be a 6v5 situation for the rest of the match?
06/17/2016 08:36 AMPosted by Integral

Thanks for the clarification Jeff, much appreciated. Could you clarify on the backfilling in competitive? If one player were to drop for whatever reason, it would be a 6v5 situation for the rest of the match?

He just said there will be no backfill in competitive play at end of his post !! ? Did you not read ?
this!
maybe an elite AI will replace the quitter. idk
Jeff, unfortunately, being part of the backfill currently counts as a "game played" and can therefore count against your winrate. This was a bug that was reported in the beta and unfortunately seems to still be around. For some players, winrate isn't as big of a deal, and they appreciate the free exp. Personally, I care more about my winrate than I'd like to admit. That's my only concern with the backfill function at the moment!

So if we backfill a game, and are defeated then no loss is incurred against our account?

Does that mean we are doomed if our team mate left during Competitive play? Or does he got replaced by AI?
Blizzard,

I keep getting 0xp most of the time.
So yeah, still a downside if the system keeps putting me in games that are 10 seconds or instant-defeat, it's a waste of time.
Just kick a random guy from the other team instead of backfilling ;p

On a serious note, glad to hear you guys are looking into it.
06/17/2016 08:41 AMPosted by CultofZAL

So if we backfill a game, and are defeated then no loss is incurred against our account?

"ultimately"
06/17/2016 08:41 AMPosted by CultofZAL

Unfortunately that is not how it works now, but he said in a different thread that its fixed for the upcoming Competitive mode patch.

In Competitive there is no backfill. Either the player that left comes back into his spot, or you play 5v6 and if you lose you lose. I assume the penalties for leaving and not returning in Competitive will be very, very punitive.
THIS. enough said
Blizzard,

Just in case you missed this Jeff, please note that a loss is incurred almost every time people backfill. Many others have stated this as a problem, it might be a bug, it might be something you guys forgot to take out, but please give this some attention. It is quite annoying to join a game, see the words DEFEAT as I run out of spawn and then have it chalk up another loss in my stats.

I keep getting 0xp most of the time.
So yeah, still a downside if the system keeps putting me in games that are 10 seconds or instant-defeat, it's a waste of time.

This. The backfill bonus seems to be really hit-or-miss. If I had to guess, I'd say I get it less than half the time I join a match in progress.