Why no fall damage?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I'm not complaining. I'm just curious as to the reasoning. Why is there no fall damage to heroes in Overwatch?

Bullgrit
Highly Rated
Because one of the characters is a monkey with a zappy gun, which means reality has no place here.
Highly Rated
Imagine fall damage with Pharah
Why do you want it?
Highly Rated
Because it wouldn't be fun.
Science.....or future technology

Most physics are kind of cartoony. McCree gets headshot and his hat flies in the air.

A funny cartoony, not bad cartoony.
Ilios and like maps have some Fall Damage, I think it's 100% kill too no matter what kind of health pool or shield you have
Highly Rated
06/20/2016 01:07 PMPosted by Erras
Because one of the characters is a monkey with a zappy gun, which means reality has no place here.

He's not a monkey.

He's a scientist.
Cause everyone is basically mechanically-altered to have some sort of cyborg-esque enhancement. There's also the fact that it's a game that's highly unrealistic to begin with; a developer's choice so different routes and flanks can be possible.
Same reason we don't need to stock up on ammo.
Why realistically, or why as a design choice? I can't help you with the former, and for the latter I guess you have to ask Blizzard.
Lol imagine Winston with fall damage. Use jet pack only to die.
Game is design to be noob friendly, adding reality mechanics would make people rage and never buy loot boxes for sprays. I heard other stuff is in the boxes, but I mostly just see sprays.
06/20/2016 01:05 PMPosted by Bullgrit
I'm not complaining. I'm just curious as to the reasoning. Why is there no fall damage to heroes in Overwatch?

Bullgrit

We had fall damage in for a few weeks. It was very difficult to decide which heroes should have it and which shouldn't. At first, they all had it. It felt terrible on Pharah because you would crater if you weren't careful -- yet if you feathered your boosters just before impact, you were fine. All in all it felt bad on her so we just made her immune to falling damage. Then you would play a character like Widowmaker or Reaper. Both of those heroes have abilities that allowed them to get to very high places. Yet, because they were subject to falling damage, they would crater when they jumped down. Widowmaker had to literally use her grappling hook to get down from places. We then tried tuning the damage to be non-fatal but soon we just entered a space of "why are we doing this again?" and removed it.
Highly Rated
What's the point of fall damage? To penalize players for walking off tall buildings? Seems unnecessary.
Fall damage just doesn't add anything to the game, and the way some characters movement works you would basically be forced to take fall damage. Winston for example would take fall damage on pretty much every leap.

Even in a game like tf2 I just found fall damage to be kind of annoying, I always though if no one takes fall damage then it's not really unfair if it doesn't exist.
Highly Rated
I love no fall damage. Just does not fit in this game. Good call.
Highly Rated
Same reason Portal has no fall damage: it adds nothing to the game.
Highly Rated
That's what I figured @ Jeff.

Blizzard has this thing where, if a mechanic isn't fun, there's no reason for it to be in the game. They're not going to sacrifice fun gameplay for realism in a game where you can play as six Winstons in safari hats.
Fall damage would severely handicap every character's mobility.

As it stands, it's a lot of fun being able to jump from building to building, or rooftop to ground level, or even trick jumps like WM's hook shots into the air, etc., etc..