This is how the matchmaker works in Overwatch

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
Thank you for the post Jeff, an excellent read. Keep it up!
Are you replacing the Avoid system with something else or will it be removed permanently with nothing different in it's place? Will we have some other way of filtering players we don't want in our games?
God damn I love you Jeff.

The developer-communication skills are off the charts!

Thank you for probably one of the best dev posts I've ever seen.

Can we get a date on competitive mode though?? :3
06/21/2016 08:34 AMPosted by Beni
We got a lvl 1 guy in our group full of 100+

There is no matchmaking

Do you know if he was grouped? Low levels are often in groups of higher leveled people.
Jeff you need to copy that post, make it its own thread named The Great Blue Wall of MMR, and then sticky it for everyone to read.

Thanks for sharing what most of us already understood. Hopefully it can help to ease some of the conspiracy chatter.
06/21/2016 08:20 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

So while it is possible for a mismatch to result in a stomp, not every stomp is a mismatch. If every time a team dominates another team it is viewed as “the matchmaker is broken”, the problem we have is with perception and expectations.

This is probably the tltr response to most people complaining about MMR.

Love the game so far, would love to see the competitive mode soon.

Question:
If I queue as a solo in competitive mode, what are the odds that I will be playing with/against 11 other solo Q players?
I lost it at the wireless mouse burn. So guuuuud!

Another reason to love Jeff <3 Good info here! Thanks for taking the time to write it all up :D
As a result, we’ve disabled the Avoid system (the UI will go away in an upcoming patch).

Welp, I guess "just avoiding players" is no longer an option if I see someone blocking teammates off with ice walls on purpose, or placing teleporters that face cliffs. It's either "deal with it" or "report them" from here on out, and I do not mind using that report button.

Incredibly informative post as usual, Jeff, thank you again for being so open and vocal with us. You know we appreciate it.
06/21/2016 08:37 AMPosted by Idale
To stop people from "complaining" about mmr, I can suggest two things that can be done right now.

1) don't have people que'd into a game that is about to end, to fill a spot. (These usually result in the load in defeat screens)

This doesn't generate a loss as Jeff already said in a previous thread.

2) adjust your algorithms so that coming off wins (and losses) it keeps you grouped with the same mmr bracket and doesn't give you lower mmr players to try and compensate for your win streak.

There's no evidence that this happens.
I'm going to print out Jeff's post, frame it, and hang it on my wall (not really but I kinda still want to).

Also, you can pry my G700s (wireless mouse btw) from my cold, dead hands! And for the record, I've never had my batteries die in a match! I'm a little OCD about certain things so I watch that battery level like a hawk!
06/21/2016 08:50 AMPosted by FuB

So while it is possible for a mismatch to result in a stomp, not every stomp is a mismatch. If every time a team dominates another team it is viewed as “the matchmaker is broken”, the problem we have is with perception and expectations.

This is probably the tltr response to most people complaining about MMR.

Love the game so far, would love to see the competitive mode soon.

Question:
If I queue as a solo in competitive mode, what are the odds that I will be playing with/against 11 other solo Q players?

I think it's very high. And in Competitive it will show if players are grouped together I believe.
Two words Jeff,

Server Browser.

Problem solved, the player would be his own match maker.

Just think of all the time, money and resources you could free up if you didn't have to fool with a MM and all the issues it brings.
It would also completely stop all the "forced 50%" complaints as well because... no MM.

Although... not being able to complain about the MM or forced 50% would turn these forums into a ghost town lol.
I have realized that my own initial criticism of the matchmaker was heavily influenced by my bias and misunderstanding of the game. I am pretty content with how it is going now for me.
Thank you for the very informative posts, both from the OP and Jeff!

I do have one question, and if I glanced over it in the huge post, I apologize.

Why is MMR hidden? Blizzard started eventually showing solo MMR in arenas, but not in random battlegrounds. I don't know if that was also the case in Heroes of the Storm and Starcraft 2, but I just found it odd that it was always hidden away from view.
Thank you! Now that you've explained it in great detail please lock up all threads mentioning a forced 50% win rate.
Quality post from both the OP and Jeff. I second that these type of post should have a sticky so that people can stop making duplicate complaint post on the subject.
OP & Mr. Kaplan both did an amazing job of explaining the system & why the perception began. This should answer just about any question a player could have, & I hope it gets put in an FAQ somewhere easy to find.
Jeff, if I can find a way to eat or nibble on your soul despite the thousands of kilometers that separate us geographically, is it possible that doing so will grant me the ability to be as clear and informative as you are?

Also, is your soul tasty?
Thanks for the extremely detailed post Jeff. I was becoming frustrated with the matchmaking, but your post cleared up a lot for me and highlighted some things I wasn't aware of.

Wish more developers could be this transparent.

Keep up the great work
I am just glad I don't have to write the matchmaking algorithms. I can't imagine how immense that task must be!