Leaving Competitive

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
Highly Rated
Why should those of us that stick around in games with people who leave receive a loss penalty? Its completely insane..
It's more ridiculous when I have had people leave twice now when we were on our second win thinking it was best of three, I then received a loss. Those fools should receive the loss, not the rest of us.
I wanted to take this opportunity to briefly explain some of the systems we have in place regarding leaves and losses in competitive play, and why they're there and why they work the way they do.

When we determine someone has quit a competitive match before the first 30 seconds of game time has completed, we note that the match is now invalid and it collapses after 30 seconds. The person who left receives BOTH a loss and a leave, while everyone else can then leave without penalty or loss.

After the first 30 seconds of game time, how we handle someone leaving a competitive match changes. After determining that someone has quit, we begin a 1 minute timer. The missing player can return during that timer, but if they do not then the remaining team members are now given a choice. Depending on the match situation when the player left, that team might want to play on since they still have a chance to win. If the situation is hopeless, we don't want to force players to stick around while the other team finishes the match. So we allow the rest of the team to quit the match without a leave penalty, but they still do receive a loss.

Why do the remaining team members still receive a loss? How is this fair? The unfortunate answer is that the alternative would be worse. We don't want to create an awful situation where players who think they're losing are now encouraged to do whatever it takes to get someone else on their team to leave. By removing any possible incentive for anyone to "tactically" leave, it also means that more matches will complete normally. When someone leaves, Overwatch is less fun to play for everyone.

To further discourage someone from leaving a match, competitive play has a different leave penalty system than a quick play game. Leaving won't simply reduce your XP gain, instead you can be suspended from playing competitive play. The time a player is suspended time increases on repeated leaves, and in extreme cases a player will earn a ban from competitive play for the current season. Banned players also forfeit any rewards granted at the end of the season.
06/28/2016 07:14 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
I wanted to take this opportunity to briefly explain some of the systems we have in place regarding leaves and losses in competitive play, and why they're there and why they work the way they do.

When we determine someone has quit a competitive match before the first 30 seconds of game time has completed, we note that the match is now invalid and it collapses after 30 seconds. The person who left receives BOTH a loss and a leave, while everyone else can then leave without penalty or loss.

After the first 30 seconds of game time, how we handle someone leaving a competitive match changes. After determining that someone has quit, we begin a 1 minute timer. The missing player can return during that timer, but if they do not then the remaining team members are now given a choice. Depending on the match situation when the player left, that team might want to play on since they still have a chance to win. If the situation is hopeless, we don't want to force players to stick around while the other team finishes the match. So we allow the rest of the team to quit the match without a leave penalty, but they still do receive a loss.

Why do the remaining team members still receive a loss? How is this fair? The unfortunate answer is that the alternative would be worse. We don't want to create an awful situation where players who think they're losing are now encouraged to do whatever it takes to get someone else on their team to leave. By removing any possible incentive for anyone to "tactically" leave, it also means that more matches will complete normally. When someone leaves, Overwatch is less fun to play for everyone.

To further discourage someone from leaving a match, competitive play has a different leave penalty system than a quick play game. Leaving won't simply reduce your XP gain, instead you can be suspended from playing competitive play. The time a player is suspended time increases on repeated leaves, and in extreme cases a player will earn a ban from competitive play for the current season. Banned players also forfeit any rewards granted at the end of the season.

Why not institute some kind of handicap bonus for the team that had a leaver? It seems like it's already a catch 22 situation for the team who had a leaver. Play on..and most likely lose and waste your time, or just swallow your pride and take a loss and be annoyed that people are that insecure with their W/L ratio that they screw 5 others out of a game.
Highly Rated
Thank you very much for the explanation
A handicap of some kind would make a lot of sense. Maybe not for the leaver's team, but what about reducing enemy damage by a certain % for every teammate who leaves?
06/28/2016 07:21 PMPosted by Andrew
Why not institute some kind of handicap bonus for the team that had a leaver? It seems like it's already a catch 22 situation for the team who had a leaver. Play on..and most likely lose and waste your time, or just swallow your pride and take a loss and be annoyed that people are that insecure with their W/L ratio that they screw 5 others out of a game.

Exactly. The situations where the team would want to continue with the 5v6 or 4v6 or whatever and still have a reasonable chance of winning are few and far between. If the disconnect occurs immediately after that 30 second window, then you play the entire round at a disadvantage. Unless your team is vastly superior in skill compared to the enemy, you are not going to win that round.

These leave penalties. How long do they persist? Like say player a quits 3 games in total this week. Do the penalties reset at any point? Like can he just be on good behavior for a day or two and then all is forgiven? Forgive me if I'm not explaining it right. Like say I leave 5 matches today and I can't play competitive for a day. Say I come back next week am I back at square one or am I still at the higher quitter tier?

I am hoping it keeps scaling and eventually these quitters all get themselves banned.

There's so many people who have the mindset of quitting rather than trying and I just worry they will be able to be bad and then be good for a few days and then be bad again

I think you are on the right track...but why did you make competitive games longer by stringing together multiple consecutive matches? Part of what's so appealing about Overwatch is the short play sessions, and this makes it harder for the average player to "stick around" through the entire ranked session. Why is it different from Quick matches?
06/28/2016 07:35 PMPosted by Tw1tch919
These leave penalties. How long do they persist? Like say player a quits 3 games in total this week. Do the penalties reset at any point? Like can he just be on good behavior for a day or two and then all is forgiven? Forgive me if I'm not explaining it right. Like say I leave 5 matches today and I can't play competitive for a day. Say I come back next week am I back at square one or am I still at the higher quitter tier?

I'm curious about this from the opposite standpoint where due to poor electrics, we get the occasional power outage. I get back in pretty quickly, but not under a minute. While it doesn't happen often (perhaps once every month), if the "penalty" builds up without decaying then I might have to skip comp play.
Highly Rated
A highly competitive mode which can be undone for 5 other players by one player trolling for the lulz/ragequitting/having a bad connection day just makes me shake my head.
Why not institute some kind of handicap bonus for the team that had a leaver? It seems like it's already a catch 22 situation for the team who had a leaver. Play on..and most likely lose and waste your time, or just swallow your pride and take a loss and be annoyed that people are that insecure with their W/L ratio that they screw 5 others out of a game.[/quote]

Give them a Trollborn (trjeoborn or whatever). I mean, he's practically like an AFK champion anyways.
06/28/2016 07:42 PMPosted by Midi
06/28/2016 07:35 PMPosted by Tw1tch919

I'm curious about this from the opposite standpoint where due to poor electrics, we get the occasional power outage. I get back in pretty quickly, but not under a minute. While it doesn't happen often (perhaps once every month), if the "penalty" builds up without decaying then I might have to skip comp play.

I think you'd have to be in a pretty third world country or have just awful Internet for things like that to come into play. But if you dc every other game, might be a bad idea
Highly Rated
Is it intended for people to receive losses for getting D/Cd then reconnecting within the 1 minute window? The reconnect feature seems pointless otherwise, because there is no reason to return if you've already earned a loss by just having your game crash for like 15 seconds or something.
Highly Rated
What I would like to see happen is that the system stays basically the same, but that bots are added to replace lost players. After about 30 seconds from the time someone disconnects, a bot (with a randomly-selected hero) is added to their team. If the player reconnects, the bot is instantly kicked to make room for the player. If not, the remaining team members are given the option of playing the rest of the match or leaving without penalty (as it currently stands).

As far as the difficulty level of the bots, I think the most fair system would be to select a difficulty based on the average MMR of the match. If the average MMR is between 1-25, then a very easy bot is added. If it is between 26-50, then easy; if 51-75, then medium; if 76-100, then hard. That way the bots will be roughly on par with the average skill of the human players in the match, and the team that lost a player won't be at a severe disadvantage. But if a scaling-difficulty bot were determined to be too difficult to balance, then even a medium bot, regardless of match MMR, would give a less-lopsided match than playing 5v6.
So what about the people that just afk for an entire match and don't get kicked which is why I most likely will not play anymore ranked until this system is fixed.

Being penalized for someone else being afk and not getting kicked from the game isn't fun.
06/28/2016 07:46 PMPosted by Tw1tch919
I think you'd have to be in a pretty third world country or have just awful Internet for things like that to come into play. But if you dc every other game, might be a bad idea
Nah, old house with old electrics. If the wife turns on the kettle at the wrong moment 'poof'.

Internet is fine, but it tends to not work with no power :)

But I know that those D/C's are considered leaver. I understand QP it decays after x amount of games, but is that the case with comp?
I feel like implementing a handicap for the team with a leaver would still impose the same problem that you would get if you give a lose forgiven for a leaver in the middle of a match.

Take the possible situation,

The team is losing, and one player is doing pretty poorly. Knowing that a handicap system exists, teammates start yelling at the player playing poorly trying to get them to leave so that the rest of the team could get a boost and try to turn the game around.
Ugh...I hate leavers. I was 7-0 in placements until I just had 2 leavers in a row. Its honestly really stupid that you still receive a loss even if you have a leaver.