Skill Rating

General Discussion
After the 10 placement matches I played I got a skill rating of 45. Assuming that a higher skill rating is better, then this is rather bogus. I played Lucio almost every game and had 3-5 gold medals, per game. However, I lost 6 of the 10 games. Is skill rating really based more on your wins/losses than how well you actually do? Is there no point in doing 18k healing in a match, spending 5 mins on the point, and getting 12 objective kills really pointless if you still lose?

Just a bit annoyed that I was basically carrying my team on almost every match and got a below average skill rating.
That is just the way i feel. My 10 year old kid ranked higher than me, because he where in teams that did well and won. But he is 10! And deffently not a skilled gamer ( like his dad :p )IT is so broken imo!
06/30/2016 12:34 AMPosted by Beinion
That is just the way i feel. My 10 year old kid ranked higher than me, because he where in teams that did well and won. But he is 10! And deffently not a skilled gamer ( like historie dad :p )IT is so broken imo!

See exactly what I mean, he won more so he got a higher skill rating. It needs to be based off performance just as much as win lose rather than mainly win/lose or everyone will just be stuck with players significantly worse than them, causing more losses than wins.
If you are good it will even out.
That is just the way i feel. My 10 year old kid ranked higher than me, because he where in teams that did well and won. But he is 10! And deffently not a skilled gamer ( like historie dad :p )IT is so broken imo!

lol if this is true that's pretty messed up.

Don't feel too bad, I got placed at 48 then dropped to 44 and I'm a fairly experienced FPS player. I don't have any objective metrics to measure with, but I'm fairly certain I'm more skilled than the average casual player.

One thing I learned is that unless you have a very coordinated team, avoid queuing for comp play in larger groups. I was doing well then all the sudden every game was a stomp.
I won 8 out of 10 placement games and got a rating of 56. Was pretty much reinhart (my fav) the whole time with switching between winston/zarya and sometimes mercy/lucio. I only play solo too.

I'm currently at 49 and have a winning % of about 30-35% since placement. I'll be happy to sit around this mark but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep dropping down to maybe around 40 - maybe more.

I can't see myself getting any higher - you need to win so much more than lose and even one lost will counter act 3 wins or so. In solo competitive mode its just not going to happen. You need to avoid premades/disconnects to have an even playing field.

I like the objectives for competitive mode but the administration and how to deal with disconnects need a bit of work.

Also how does 'underdog' work? So we have two teams one only one point on average higher than the other - is that really underdog? I would think something like 3 points difference is 'underdog'.
06/30/2016 12:10 AMPosted by THEotherme
After the 10 placement matches I played I got a skill rating of 45. Assuming that a higher skill rating is better, then this is rather bogus. I played Lucio almost every game and had 3-5 gold medals, per game. However, I lost 6 of the 10 games. Is skill rating really based more on your wins/losses than how well you actually do? Is there no point in doing 18k healing in a match, spending 5 mins on the point, and getting 12 objective kills really pointless if you still lose?

Just a bit annoyed that I was basically carrying my team on almost every match and got a below average skill rating.

1. Your not carrying your team if you lose, you may have peformed well but saying you carried indicates you won

2. I went 6/4 and places 51 for all games I had 15 gold medals total. I played Lucio for every single game.
Who you group with is important because that will determine who you face as in your team rating vs opponent team rating.

Your QP hidden MMR is also important for the placement games.
I think a lot of people are getting frustrated in the first week by their rank. I know some ppl on my friend list who are a lot better than me got about the same rank I did, and we're almost all in the 40s. I have about 50 friends on this game and the 2 that I think are best- the playmakers who often decide game results by themselves- only got 2 ranks higher than me. My rank actually dropped 3 spots once I switched from solo to group, which baffles me.
From the Competitive Play overview:

"Skill ratings will be visible at the beginning of every match. As you compete, your rating will increase or decrease with each win or loss based on a number of factors, including your own performance and the skill of the other players in the match."

What factors are exactly taken into consideration? If I win a game 3-0 I barely get any experience towards the next rank, but if I lose an extremely close game 2-3 I get dropped an entire rank.

Does anyone know what all these factors are? And if I queue up without a premade team of friends, why is it that I get judged/rated on the performance of my team mates who refuse to communicate?
I am baffled at the score I got. I went 8-2 played tank and damage role with a kda of 3.6 and got a rating of 47. It wouldn't bother me except my friends got better much better ranks out of placements with significantly worse W/L ratios (3-7) (4-6). They also had half the medals and a kda of 2.5 or less. I'm just just trying to find the logic. Based on comparisons with friends I should have got at minimum at 54. Anyone have ideas for other factors in not considering?
We don't know if 50 is the average right now. Its probably lower at the moment and since leavers/trolls have a huge impact during placement matches and KOTH maps being bugged, the outcome of placement can be largely inaccurate. From what i've seen so far is if you're very good at the game you should be able to win at least 8/10 and get a starter rank of 60-65. If you're good you'll end up above 50. Decent to avg will sit at 40-50. Under 40 is anything from bad to average.
06/30/2016 09:57 AMPosted by GreenSage

That's a problem, though. No one wants to play 8 hours a day for 2 months so that things will "even out". The win/loss method only evens out over large sample sizes and having to lose a number of games because of bad luck makes it harder to keep going to hit those large sample sizes.
06/30/2016 10:30 AMPosted by Cyanerd
From what i've seen so far is if you're very good at the game you should be able to win at least 8/10 and get a starter rank of 60-65.

Thats not true, as I won 8 out of 10 matches, but got a MMR of 49. Now I'm hovering on 50 on and off.

A friend of mine won 6 out of 10 matches, but also got an MMR of 49.
06/30/2016 10:42 AMPosted by Vile
06/30/2016 09:57 AMPosted by GreenSage

That's a problem, though. No one wants to play 8 hours a day for 2 months so that things will "even out". The win/loss method only evens out over large sample sizes and having to lose a number of games because of bad luck makes it harder to keep going to hit those large sample sizes.

This is the real problem. I simply don't have the time to play enough to get an accurate rating.
06/30/2016 10:02 AMPosted by Urgot

lol if this is true that's pretty messed up.

Don't feel too bad, I got placed at 48 then dropped to 44 and I'm a fairly experienced FPS player. I don't have any objective metrics to measure with, but I'm fairly certain I'm more skilled than the average casual player.

One thing I learned is that unless you have a very coordinated team, avoid queuing for comp play in larger groups. I was doing well then all the sudden every game was a stomp.

I promise it is true! And he is not a skilled player as i stated. Lets just say, he lines to wall climb with hanzo/ genji, and that is what he focus on -.-