The Necessity of Community Content.

General Discussion
If there's one vital, important, quintessential thing that Overwatch needs, it has to be the (future) implementation of community made content. I'll bee quick and just list some of its benefits.
#1: It promotes positive participation in the community, a chance for some to actively contribute to the game.
#4: More content is being added to the game. Maps, sprays, skins, taunts, maybe even heroes and then some. There is a innumerable amount of content that can be added to the game by the community.
#3: Content is added to the game for free at the same time it lessens the overall workload on the devs.
#5: (This is merely a suggestion) Rewards for competitive play could be generated by the community, for the community.
#6: There are no negative aspects to the addition of community made content being added to the official game.

The list goes on.
Ummmmm... this is Blizz you're talking about. I can't think of any game that they've ever pushed community created content.
They take community suggestions though. Feel free to throw your 2 cents in to them.
06/28/2016 12:38 PMPosted by Zaxafel
Ummmmm... this is Blizz you're talking about. I can't think of any game that they've ever pushed community created content.
They take community suggestions though. Feel free to throw your 2 cents in to them.

Never heard of Warcraft, Haven't you?
06/28/2016 12:38 PMPosted by Zaxafel

Where exactly can I have the best chance of getting my voice heard? Where in the forums? Twitter? My space?
Okay first of all, what happened to #2?
Second, why is #4 before #3.
These are important issues that must be addressed.
06/28/2016 12:41 PMPosted by Rangrok1k
Okay first of all, what happened to #2?
Second, why is #4 before #3.
These are important issues that must be addressed.
Don't ask questions, Valve doesn't count to 3, I don't count to 2 lmao. (its been a long day)
Blizz is actively developing content, in game and out, that will be provided freely. New heroes, maps, skins, sprays, etc.. It's all coming. They are also developing story/lore/cinematics content that will continually roll out.

I've no problem with fan-created content (nor does Blizz, they constantly promote and feature it) but not as part of the core product, which they are committing to as forcefully and robustly as any developer ever has or would.
no
06/28/2016 12:30 PMPosted by Exieon
If there's one vital, important, quintessential thing that Overwatch needs, it has to be the (future) implementation of community made content. I'll bee quick and just list some of its benefits.
#1: It promotes positive participation in the community, a chance for some to actively contribute to the game.
#4: More content is being added to the game. Maps, sprays, skins, taunts, maybe even heroes and then some. There is a innumerable amount of content that can be added to the game by the community.
#3: Content is added to the game for free at the same time it lessens the overall workload on the devs.
#5: (This is merely a suggestion) Rewards for competitive play could be generated by the community, for the community.
#6: There are no negative aspects to the addition of community made content being added to the official game.

The list goes on.
These forums are filled with posts stating that X feature that poster wants is vital to the success and longevity of the game. Fact is these posts, including this one, are asking for features that Blizzard historically doesn't allow. (yes, very, very old blizz games had player created content).

Blizzard is providing all updates to this game to us for free they finance this through the selling of loot boxes. If you start injecting player created content this has the possibility of disrupting that cash flow and in turn effecting our ability to receive quality regular updates.

Honestly, most of your suggestions would fit perfectly in the old days of Unreal where the community content was constantly being developed. In this day and age most developers have shut that avenue down for different reasons (game consistency, financial impact, piracy, etc.).
i tried getting support on this with a competition but it was pretty much ignored

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745035989
These forums are filled with posts stating that X feature that poster wants is vital to the success and longevity of the game. Fact is these posts, including this one, are asking for features that Blizzard historically doesn't allow. (yes, very, very old blizz games had player created content).

Blizzard is providing all updates to this game to us for free they finance this through the selling of loot boxes. If you start injecting player created content this has the possibility of disrupting that cash flow and in turn effecting our ability to receive quality regular updates.

Honestly, most of your suggestions would fit perfectly in the old days of Unreal where the community content was constantly being developed. In this day and age most developers have shut that avenue down for different reasons (game consistency, financial impact, piracy, etc.).

You're right, my opening statement was more so for dramatic affect than anything else, but I made this post because Overwatch is so good in every aspect. This was just the one thing that would make it perfect. Otherwise Overwatch is on the perfect course for success.
What I meant was any content utilizing Blizz proprietary materials is not available from one user to another. Instead it is submitted to Blizz for review and they may allow custom maps and such. That's in reference to Warcraft and Starcraft. Also any content uploaded to them has a size limitation.

As for where best to be heard? Facebook, Twitter, community forums?
Couldn't hurt to try all of them.
We know that the development team does look at the forums and other social media because when Jeff has come on the forums commenting about what they are currently working on he touches base on different ideas that have shown up here.
Jeff Kaplan also has his own twitter, facebook, etc that you could probably bug him on.

Blizz holds all their games to what would be within a Teen rating. So the chances of community content being allowed are close to 0. Too many people want to make !@#$ and such. They try to control that as much as possible. Some they havnt had as much luck with.
As much as I love the actual concept of community made content it has no place apart from maybe sprays in this game.

Blizzard is trying to create a very controlled environment with Overwatch. From Characters to Backstories to maps. As we have seen with the cinematics featuring actual maps in the game

Maybe there will be contests where people are given the opportunity to design a skin and the most voted for will make into the game. But that is as far as I see blizzard actually going with allowing people to influence the aesthetics of the game.

To be honest from a personal standpoint I really don't mind this. Community created content can make a game feel cluttered and actual ruin the original vision if not closely regulated. TF2 to me fits that example. The game really took a nosedive after all the additional stuff equipment and hats were added.

Obviously other people will feel different about this but here are my 2 cents on this.
What I meant was any content utilizing Blizz proprietary materials is not available from one user to another. Instead it is submitted to Blizz for review and they may allow custom maps and such. That's in reference to Warcraft and Starcraft. Also any content uploaded to them has a size limitation.

As for where best to be heard? Facebook, Twitter, community forums?
Couldn't hurt to try all of them.
We know that the development team does look at the forums and other social media because when Jeff has come on the forums commenting about what they are currently working on he touches base on different ideas that have shown up here.
Jeff Kaplan also has his own twitter, facebook, etc that you could probably bug him on.

Blizz holds all their games to what would be within a Teen rating. So the chances of community content being allowed are close to 0. Too many people want to make !@#$ and such. They try to control that as much as possible. Some they haven't had as much luck with.
How in the world is a community made map going to affect the teen rating and how would it be "!@#$"? The devs control what's added to the game... how can you control stuff more than that?
06/28/2016 01:10 PMPosted by Mokiki
As much as I love the actual concept of community made content it has no place apart from maybe sprays in this game.

Blizzard is trying to create a very controlled environment with Overwatch. From Characters to Backstories to maps. As we have seen with the cinematics featuring actual maps in the game

Maybe there will be contests where people are given the opportunity to design a skin and the most voted for will make into the game. But that is as far as I see blizzard actually going with allowing people to influence the aesthetics of the game.

To be honest from a personal standpoint I really don't mind this. Community created content can make a game feel cluttered and actual ruin the original vision if not closely regulated. TF2 to me fits that example. The game really took a nosedive after all the additional stuff equipment and hats were added.

Obviously other people will feel different about this but here are my 2 cents on this.
They may have minimal integration of community content, buy any at all is good. They may limit it to exclusive competitive rewards. It's up to Bliz
Ever heard of nude mods in wow? There's all kinds of content that can be created that would violate the teen rating. Just use your imagination.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see user created content in the game. I'm just saying that Blizz will never allow it sad to say.
06/28/2016 01:17 PMPosted by Zaxafel
Ever heard of nude mods in wow? There's all kinds of content that can be created that would violate the teen rating. Just use your imagination.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see user created content in the game. I'm just saying that Blizz will never allow it sad to say.
Ok, I'm going to make this clear. This is a discussion about Approved, regulated, and officially added to the game, content not unofficial mods at all. And if non teen mods are made, I'm sure that only the person who has it installed would be able to see it, not other players.
We would like to continue to explore ways of allowing the community to contribute content to Overwatch. Overwatch is a brand new engine so it's going to take awhile for us to achieve that vision.

Blizzard has a rich history of supporting community made content. From the Warcraft and Starcraft editors to World of Warcraft's thriving UI mod community, we have some really great examples of our passion for community made content. The whole MOBA genre exists because of our support for the mod community!
um... hey OP [what you guys think i was talking to jeff]

community content is for when the game has left the stage of developer content development

which we clearly have not, during the first couple months after initial release

even tf2 didn't start using community content for like what, 7-8 years?

thanks for the long-winded explanation of what community content is, and what it's for
the most important would be community created maps