Community is slowly degenerating

General Discussion
07/05/2016 05:36 AMPosted by Yofisu
07/05/2016 05:26 AMPosted by AscensioNd
sry my mentality over so many decades of life is: you don't get others to do anything by kindly asking them. they will put up when they want to...now if i rattle them a bit...yeah they will get in there to prove me wrong...

Yes it can lead to hurt feelings...but a bit of cage rattling is what I find gets the best results....I beg politely they just return it with mmo insta troll. If I rattle them a bit ...like stated above...they will try harder and prove me wrong...
and that is what i wanted before i grabbed their cage and started banging it around...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTMSURG5Kg4

I think this can be true in certain circumstances when you are a leader but in a impromptu, on-demand grouping I would argue you don't carry the trust or have earned the respect to get the expected results when drivign others that way. But... if you have found it truly works for you then perhaps it does but if you plan to have it continue to work with a set of players that has to be followed with kudos when they step up.

the difference tween me and you is ...I'm the player they see in 6 secnds of respawn wait...cutting and headbutting...they will run back to me to help...if they don't ...they will wait...they will wait...after 4 times of waiting i turn into team capt. and start bangin the cage....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTMSURG5Kg4
07/05/2016 03:23 AMPosted by TwistyOtter
I'm probably not the first one to say this but holy crap, the community changed a lot when competitive was introduced to the public.

I can't stand competitive games, I prefer playing casual matches with casual play. Just playing a game for the sake of relaxation and not winning. It's the main reason I quit playing Counter-Strike because the community just got horrendously toxic.

I feel like the same thing is happening to Overwatch. I've experienced more and more unfriendliness, more and more trolls and more and more people that are going really far to just ruin your day.

Is Blizzard actively trying to stop these people? Cause it feels like as the days pass by, the more terrible it gets.

report toxic players
I've not seen that many more toxic players than I did in QP before competitive went live.

As long as you pick useful heroes, try to counter and do your best, even if you lose, most people recognize everyone tried their best (even if they might be bad mouthing you in their head).
You will get abused if you don't pick a hero that others don't like. You will get abused if a match was won using bastion. You will get abused if some one of your team gets three gold medals and you lose. You will get abused if you win a sudden death match.

Overall - If you play this game, you will get abused one way or the other.
Kinda true. Lots of trash talkers and freaking ragers on comp..
I'm probably not the first one to say this but holy crap, the community changed a lot when competitive was introduced to the public.

I can't stand competitive games, I prefer playing casual matches with casual play. Just playing a game for the sake of relaxation and not winning. It's the main reason I quit playing Counter-Strike because the community just got horrendously toxic.

I feel like the same thing is happening to Overwatch. I've experienced more and more unfriendliness, more and more trolls and more and more people that are going really far to just ruin your day.

Is Blizzard actively trying to stop these people? Cause it feels like as the days pass by, the more terrible it gets.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you add a competitive mode into a game. It never just stays there because that attitude is introduced into the community as a whole. It always spills over into the "casual" side of the game - albeit to a less frequent degree than what you see in the competitive mode. It's the nature of the beast, and the only thing you can do is just ignore it.
I don't understand people. There are to types of games: Quick play (which is by nature targeted for more casual experience) and Competitive mode (which is targeted for competing with other players and doing your best).

So if you go and play competitive mode and you are surprised people are serious about game, then it's something wrong with you, not those serious people. There is quick play, gl and hf there.

Ofc there are toxic people who are toxic just for the sake of being toxic. But if you do your own !@#$ in competitive and don't even care about winning, I perfectly understand and justify anyone who will reprimand you for this (if it's done using reasonable vocabulary).

Playing competitive just for your personal weird fun is simply a griefing.
07/05/2016 05:43 AMPosted by darkseid
You will get abused if you don't pick a hero that others don't like. You will get abused if a match was won using bastion. You will get abused if some one of your team gets three gold medals and you lose. You will get abused if you win a sudden death match.

Overall - If you play this game, you will get abused one way or the other.

I had a guy, rage at me for picking Symmetra. At the time, I was ranked in Overwatch Tracker as rank 312 for the region. - So when I didn't switch, he and his little friend played twin Mei's. They then proceeded to ice wall me in at every chance they got, and then asking me "What's wrong honey?" - At end of match I got a three Gold medals. I just blocked one of them. - Skip ahead a couple dozen matches, and there was the other Mei player... started raging at a Genji player and then started trying to IceWall in Genji. Like that really does anything to Genji.

I consider this harassment. Not trash talking. Trash talking doesn't interfere with your game-play.
Avoid player option was awesome.

But the cause of the rage is at least (in my view) largely due to the appalling match making, putting people with, or against, people with wildly differing experience and capability levels.

Toxic haters, always going to be around, and it's sad - but the game as it is, is breeding the hate.

G
07/05/2016 05:53 AMPosted by walentaz
I don't understand people. There are to types of games: Quick play (which is by nature targeted for more casual experience) and Competitive mode (which is targeted for competing with other players and doing your best).

So if you go and play competitive mode and you are surprised people are serious about game, then it's something wrong with you, not those serious people. There is quick play, gl and hf there.

Ofc there are toxic people who are toxic just for the sake of being toxic. But if you do your own !@#$ in competitive and don't even care about winning, I perfectly understand and justify anyone who will reprimand you for this (if it's done using reasonable vocabulary).

Playing competitive just for your personal weird fun is simply a griefing.

What is the point of abuse ? If the team is already bad, abusing a team mate will make it worse. if he had any plans of switching a character or doing something proper, he will drop it when abused by some stranger. I see this act as childish. If you are a passionate player and wants to win, you will only motivate others, not abuse them. competitive or quick play, People play games for fun first. Getting abused by a stranger is not fun
Honestly, all the issues would be solved if the devs got on board with this:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745776357
Actually, most of the community is pretty chill. Or, they are like me, and keep their frustrations to themselves... Its just that the toxic ones are typically the loudest, and the most noticeable. At least, in my experience.
07/05/2016 06:11 AMPosted by darkseid

What is the point of abuse ? If the team is already bad, abusing a team mate will make it worse. if he had any plans of switching a character or doing something proper, he will drop it when abused by some stranger. I see this act as childish. If you are a passionate player and wants to win, you will only motivate others, not abuse them. competitive or quick play, People play games for fun first. Getting abused by a stranger is not fun

I'm not saying to load out on a person, don't get me wrong ;) Example: if someone constantly splits from the team just to go manmode for some kills resulting in him constantly dying, I find perfectly justified saying smth like "What the hell are you doing man, it's not quick play" or smth like that. I'm not saying bashing a person with !@#$%% type of vocabulary is justified (actually it's quite opposite), but from my personal experience, such griefers are overreacting, for example, me: "Can you play more seriously" griefer: "!@#$ and stop harassing me".

Tbh, at least on EU servers I don't see much toxicity and majority of people are quite friendly actually.
07/05/2016 03:32 AMPosted by OMGWTFBBQckn
Are you playing competitive for the sake of relaxation and not winning?

Because that would be the complete opposite of competitive play and would actually piss me off if I was on your team. If I'm trying to win and rank up and you're picking flowers and taking pictures... lol

Going into competitive with a "not winning" mindset... maybe that's why your getting unfriendliness.

If not, then that sucks, I try to find a community on discord to play with. Quick match with pugs is still fun for me.

When I want to relax, try out different characters and have fun I go to quick match.

I find this just as annyoing in casual games. I dont get the mind set of just playing to loose, or not trying to win atleast.
LOL - I was told I was being reported, when I announced that "I block all leavers".

-= reported.
Blame competitive being the worst competitive mode ever seen in any game
07/05/2016 06:32 AMPosted by ViciousJawa
Blame competitive being the worst competitive mode ever seen in any game

Before people start flaming this ^^, I must say it's painful truth ;)
One of the issues is everyone trying to dictate how you should play the game. "You shouldn't HAVE a main!" So we just stop playing a hero when we start spending a decent amount of time on them then? Or does everyone think you can't be competent with other heroes whilst having a main that you excel in? Then there's the people who yell at you for not picking something the team needs... and then ignoring that need as well! You aren't any different than the players you berate but you're somehow free of the responsibility you project on them?

Hero swapping is a core mechanic and important to the game flow, but some people like consistent gameplay, some people are better at other things than others, and you can have a main without exclusively playing that hero, people who only play one hero are called "One trick ponies" or just One tricks for short. That guy with 63 hours on Genji and less than a minute on anything else is a Genji one trick, not simply a Genji main. The person with 3 hours as Mercy and about 1-2 on 5 other heroes is a Mercy main, and there's nothing wrong with that so long as people with mains can accommodate for the team's needs in more than just where they personally specialize.
07/05/2016 04:48 AMPosted by Brent02
I love all of these losers that tell you to uninstall, or are you smart enough to play this game. Ef U loser, your playing solo competitive because your a 40 year old loser still living in your parents basement with no friends because you're a rude M efer.

You totally seem like your name would be Brent.

I don't mean that as a compliment.