I'm Deaf - Please Provide Subtitles For All Voice Lines

General Discussion
1 2 3 11 Next
Highly Rated
I know some of you guys may think it is distracting but it brings a viable information, for instance, a character might say "There's a turret over there." Or "There's a teleport over there"... How would deaf people know?

Maybe it would be nice to incorporate voice line subtitles into Chat window. I am not saying we should have "footsteps" notification, most of the deaf/hard of hearing community relies visual elements and notifications in the game.

Updated:

This started when I was playing with my hearing friend a night before I created this post. We communicated via in-game text chat. Not by voice chat.
He said my character was saying something rude about killing other people. I wasn't sure what's he talking about because I haven't said anything in the game. He said it is my voice line in the game, or it could be an automatic "talk" in the beginning of the game. I wasn't aware of this.... There were no subtitles in the beginning. He said few characters would "talk" each other, like if you have two Tracers in the match, they will say something funny to each other, etc.

Speaking of subtitles, there aren't any subtitles or closed captioned for all Overwatch short animated films, why is this? If you look at Valve, not only they started captioned all their games in Half-Life, Team Fortress. It is a shame that Valve did an amazing job than Blizzard.
Highly Rated
id be happy if they added a option for it. but not baseline for everyone.
Highly Rated
This is a great idea! We would need to be able to toggle it on or off for people who don't need it.
Highly Rated
Even people who can hear would use this.
07/05/2016 07:50 PMPosted by ChaosProz
I know some of you guys may think it is distracting but it brings a viable information, for instance, a character might say "There's a turret over there." Or "There's a teleport over there"... How would deaf people know?
Maybe it would be nice to incorporate voice line subtitles into Chat window.

I do not want a sound description such as footsteps, etc..... Only for the Voice Lines, Ultimate, and few other miscs.

I think having an option to select this for those who need it is very reasonable and would show Blizzard cares about deaf people.
Highly Rated
You made me think why is this not already in the game? Talk about perspective. Valid request. +1
I'm kind of surprised they don't have the option already. Those audio lines are absolutely crucial for my play and I can't imagine the information you lose not being able to hear/read them. Hopefully they add them in.
I think this is a great idea and even though i'm not deaf id probably still use it in case i miss something.
Are you talking about translating what people say in voice chat into text? That would require a heap of additional processing to achieve.
07/05/2016 10:16 PMPosted by Cujo
Are you talking about translating what people say in voice chat into text? That would require a heap of additional processing to achieve.

No, he's talking about the character's voice lines.

Like when Tracer yells, "Behind you!"

Or Symmetra says, "Turret destroyed."

Or when Reinhardt says, "I have found the enemy!"

Or when Mercy says, "Get them off me!"

Or any other voiceline that assists anybody who actually pays attention to what the characters are saying - they give valuable information that people who are hard of hearing or completely deaf cannot get at the moment due to lack of closed caption.

no hes talking about voice lines your characters will scream throughout the match. like when an enemy symmetra puts a teleporter down your genji might say "They have a teleporter" wholely without player input.

Also ultimate shouts. junkrats "Start your engines" is particularly useful because once yo hear you can be like "alright guys spread out

OP's talking about the voice lines triggered automatically by certain interactions like an enemy shooting you from behind, Torb's turret getting shot at, the enemy team having a teleporter, and so on.
Great idea
damn, you must have fast eyes if you're willing to read all of that AND focus on the game. I mean, I already have trouble just aiming and looking around when someone is nearby. I guess it would be helpful for the ultimates.

I do not want a sound description such as footsteps, etc..... Only for the Voice Lines, Ultimate, and few other miscs.

Why miss out on footsteps? I wonder if there's a solution to that too. (though I'm not sure if it's something that would otherwise be preferred over sound indicators balance wise)

Forgive my naivety at your experience, but would low frequency, high amplitude sound that you could *feel* in another way be a good indicator?

Yep...needs to happen. Good luck--hope this wish comes true!
Following up from my previous post on Reddit, I've thrown something together pretty quickly, but something that could potentially work?

The Red is when the turret/portal has been detected and in vision - the Yellow is when it's been detected but not in vision.

It doesn't give the full information, such as who found it etc. but it's better than not knowing, and better than cluttering the screen with subtitles I think?

http://imgur.com/a/XvAbn

Thoughts?
We need a bump on this one.
There are a few options. Accessibility is key for every kind of online interaction or game. You'd be surprised how even visually or manually impaired people can play games.

Blizzard has already started: they have color-blindness options! That's awesome and I'm sure that they'd be open to including some optional visual indicators for the deaf.
No, he's talking about the character's voice lines.

Like when Tracer yells, "Behind you!"

Or Symmetra says, "Turret destroyed."

Or when Reinhardt says, "I have found the enemy!"

Or when Mercy says, "Get them off me!"

That's new to me. I didn't know that... Is there a way to say those lines or are those automatic?