Leavers and how they effect the winners

Competitive Discussion
1 2 3 34 Next
Highly Rated
So just played a game.... Won the first round easy with lots of time left....
People on the other team start rage quitting.....
I get 1/20th of a lvl....................... but if i lose i lose almost a full level if not one...

Your system is broken as usual GG blizz keep it up
Most recent response:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745646508?page=30#post-589

-------------------------------------------------------

We made a change earlier today that was intended to address this. (You can read more about that change here).

Since we're still seeing posts like yours, though, we're following up on our end to make sure the change was implemented correctly. The ultimate goal is to make it so that, if a player leaves mid-match, it won't affect how Skill Rating is adjusted at the end of a match. If that's not what is actually happening right now, we'll fix it.

Sorry for the delay! And thanks so much for the report.
Highly Rated
I read about the change and just finished a game, and can confirm that I still only gained a sliver of ranked exp because of the leaver on the other team.
Just played a match, in round 1 one of our team dropped (game crash) and was not back before end of round 1 (we made 3 out of 4 points).

Second round he was back at the start before launch, and we won the match, but we got the standard 5% win rank increase.

So still not fixed.
07/07/2016 08:01 PMPosted by Archaegeo
Just played a match, in round 1 one of our team dropped (game crash) and was not back before end of round 1 (we made 3 out of 4 points).

Second round he was back at the start before launch, and we won the match, but we got the standard 5% win rank increase.

So still not fixed.

I don't think that was the issue. The issue was a leaver on the opposing team making you not get as many points. Supposedly, leavers shouldn't have any changes on Ratings anymore.

Plus keep in mind, if you were really favored to win, you won't get many points.
It is not fixed from what I just saw either.

Temple of Anubis
- Round 1 we are on defense, they break through the first point easy, 2 minutes go by of them trying to get 2nd point and not getting it, 2 people leave. They didn't get it, time ran out.

- Round 2 we go on to attack, get first point, one of them reconnects so they have 5, got 2nd point, won.

Got a sliver of a level.
I was playing a on Hollywood map. On the first round we were attacking we reached the 3rd point and we won that round. On the second round one member of our team leaved the game.

We were 5 vs 6 but we were able to win the match. We were all happy because we won even when we were only 5.

The problem was that when we received the experience of the match It was very low. I guess it was like 15% of a level.... I was very disappointed.

I hope Blizzard can fix that.
07/07/2016 07:57 PMPosted by Lylirra
We made a change earlier today that was intended to address this. (You can read more about that change [url="http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745727098"]here[/url]).

Since we're still seeing posts like yours, though, we're following up and investigating further. The ultimate goal is to make it so that, if a player leaves mid-match, it won't affect how Skill Rating is adjusted at the end of a match. If that's not what is actually happening right now, we'll fix it.

This is only PART of the problem...

Losses are too punishing compared to wins. Last time I played, I had a 5 game win streak, and I gained just over one rank. I then had a loss, and lost well over an entire rank.

This is ridiculous. The time spent in 5 wins is heck like over an hour. To have that all erased from one loss is crazy. The only way to actually gain progress is to win over 80% of your games. And even then it's slow.

Let's be real we don't all play like EnvyUS. 80% win rates are unheard of in overwatch.

Why are losses so punishing?

Also, the under dog system needs to be reworked. If my team is avg rank 55 and the other is 54, that's not enough of a difference to call them under dogs and give them so much more xp
07/07/2016 08:27 PMPosted by Connatic
07/07/2016 08:01 PMPosted by Archaegeo

So still not fixed.

I don't think that was the issue. The issue was a leaver on the opposing team making you not get as many points. Supposedly, leavers shouldn't have any changes on Ratings anymore.

Plus keep in mind, if you were really favored to win, you won't get many points.

Actually this was most definitely part of the issue. It didn't matter if someone left on the winning or losing team, you still got almost no ranked points even winning 5v6.
We made a change earlier today that was intended to address this. (You can read more about that change [url="http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745727098"]here[/url]).

I decided to have a look at your write-up on how a player's skill rating is adjusted based on probability of winning/losing, and it sounds like when people were leaving matches, the game would recalculate probabilities such that both teams were somehow favored to win, since the winning team in such a scenario would gain little towards their skill rating and the losers lose a ton so frequently, instead of the more obvious conclusion of the team without leavers gaining a significant advantage over the one with. This also seems to explain why teams who win despite leavers also get jack towards their ranking, despite the very obvious disadvantage leavers create.

Thank you for the insight into how the game works in this way; things like this interest me greatly.
07/07/2016 09:29 PMPosted by Tw1tch919

Also, the under dog system needs to be reworked. If my team is avg rank 55 and the other is 54, that's not enough of a difference to call them under dogs and give them so much more xp

55 to 54 may not seem like a huge difference to you, but the difference is 4% (stats based on masteroverwatch.com) 4% of 10million players? 400,000 people, line 400,000 people up by skill and then pit the people on the higher end vs the lower end, how would you measure the skill gap between them?
I think a major issue is when the rank moves we have no idea why it moved the amount that it did. Was it because of underdog? Individual performance? A leaver? Who the heck knows! All it shows you is how much, and there is no explanation as to why it moved that amount. If the game would just explain the factors that went into that went into a loss that dropped 1 rank, and then you see a different list of factors when the loss is 1/10th of a rank, then it would make much more sense.
Just finished a game where the person left as he was 10 seconds away from losing and he had been contributing all game long, we only got a sliver of xp....
People know about this and are exploiting it to disrupt people's rankings. Losing a game? Quit - you're going to lose anyway, and you screw over the other team
07/07/2016 10:22 PMPosted by dhQk
07/07/2016 09:29 PMPosted by Tw1tch919

55 to 54 may not seem like a huge difference to you, but the difference is 4% (stats based on masteroverwatch.com) 4% of 10million players? 400,000 people, line 400,000 people up by skill and then pit the people on the higher end vs the lower end, how would you measure the skill gap between them?

I wouldn't call anyone an under dog unless there was at least a 5 rank difference. The difference between say rank 55 and 54 can be as small as one win or loss. Under dogs get a boost if they win and less impact if they lose. 1 rank difference is simply too low to call someone an under dog. If you beat a team one rank below you who is called an "under dog" you get a smaller reward as well.
last night we won the first round and one opponent wrote: enjoy your 10% exp and left the game. We got only 10% exp

This is exciting news. In maybe only a week, Competitive will be ready to launch.

Cheap shots aside, it will be nice when these issues are fixed, and all the tryhards won't have nearly as much of a reason to play Quick Play.

Since we're still seeing posts like yours, though, we're following up and investigating further. The ultimate goal is to make it so that, if a player leaves mid-match, it won't affect how Skill Rating is adjusted at the end of a match. If that's not what is actually happening right now, we'll fix it.

I've just played a game of KOTH and we won the first 2 rounds and then the enemy started rage quitting when we were 50% towards winning the 3rd and final round and we all got only like 1/10th of a competitive level (if that) so I don't think it worked. This was 30 minutes ago.
THIS STILL DOESNT WORK!! guess what. went 7 and 2 but 6 of those wins had leavers. got 1/10th of a level if that. overall gained nothing. not going to play this game until this is fixed. this game is officially garbage to me now.
Yeah honesty I am itching to play so bad but I've taken this week off to let things get patched and fixed. Seems like it's almost there but this recent patch you guys say you implemented isn't working......