Leavers and how they effect the winners

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 29 30 31 34 Next
07/14/2016 10:19 AMPosted by Riva
It's kinda interesting that we all assume that every leaver is a bad person. Power goes out, ISP's disconnect you, and 2 year old son unplugged the router.

Then we assume that because someone left, the other team is automatically the losing team. I've won a game with a man down before.

So if I'm on a team with someone leaving, I don't think I should be discredited as playing well, and possibly being the winning team until a teammate left regardless the reason. So honestly, if players have some stats behind them, the loss of xp should not be that much. And really, why is not giving the other team a loss a bad thing for the winning team?

If you think about it, Winners should stay the same, Losers of a team with players gone should not get a loss or gain in xp(or loss on the stats) and the leavers should be penalized per how many games it's happened with them. I don't think that should be too difficult.

Wide open for abuse. A team getting steamrolled will focus in who they think is the worst player (hanzo or widows) and pressure them to leave.

Also let's be honest here, the vast majority of leavers are rage quitters.
+1 for backfill

I'm ok with locking the slot for 60 sec and giving the player a chance to rejoin, but after 60 seconds there is really no reason not to use backfill and save the game
Backfill? For the love of God no, never add backfill to comp. The system is frustrating enough if players start getting put into comp games that have already started,possibly about to end your gonna see alot of people give up on OW comp. Even if the backfilled player doesnt get a loss its a huge waste of time and really is only gonna hurt to solo que guys even more,they already get the shaft in matchmaking by being but up against groups.

This is the kind of !@#$ that happens when you allow any player or group size instead of just full teams. Im not advocating that type of system but these are the downsides of not having it.
I am not convinced that it's fixed yet. I had one match with leavers late last night that went like this:
Watchtower: Gibralter, on defense as Reinhardt, enemy team barely gets on the cart at all and moves it all of 5m. At the end, 2 enemies immediately leave. During the character selection time of the next round, the rest of their team leaves and we get an immediate win when it starts.
Resulting gains: 1/20th of a level.

... WTF? Everything else seemed normal. No massive rank discrepancies between the teams, and my performance on Reinhardt was average, at least given that they just died a lot and the game was really short. So if it's not the handling of leavers that's still broken, something else is definitely wrong.
I had a game where I fought on 4v6 and eventually 2v6 and my level was severely punished, it took a huge chunk off and didn't seem fair at all. Especially considering I was still playing well in the rounds too.
I'm not sure what people are talking about here... when you are on the team and have a leaver, it literally says at the top in a RED bar that you can leave the game in like 45 seconds without penalty. And you DO literally lose like 1/10th or less of a level. The guy who gets punished IS THE LEAVER.

Now, I believe that the WINNING team SHOULD get the appropriate experience though. Punish the leaver, don't punish the team and don't punish the winners. That's fair, in my opinion.
I still losing my points when someone in my team leaves.
Just played a game on PS4, lvl 57 in and against lvl 61 teams. Attacking on Watchpoint and player on enemy team leaves, after which we win sudden death. Me and a lvl 65 guy both gain the same small amount (1/15th of a bar maybe). So its not fixed yet, have it recorded in case Blizzard needs proof against their correct data.
Update #2: This fix is now live for PC and has rolled out to all of our servers, plus we were able to figure out a way to quickly deploy it to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as well (this is why it took a bit longer). Based on your reports, it appears this fix has been successful, but we'll continue keep watch on your on posts just in case.

Some things to keep in mind:
  • Our earlier change, making it so that leavers won't impact Skill Rating (for either team), is still in place. We think this change is an overall positive one, since it discourages bad leaver behavior, but we'll be paying close attention to your feedback. If it doesn't remain a positive change, we can consider reverting it/adjusting it further.

• It's still possible for players to gain less Skill Rating following certain wins, it just depends on the match-up. If you're on a team that's heavily favored, you're going to gain a smaller amount of Skill Rating for that win vs. wins in which both teams are more evenly matched (Conversely, the opposing team in this situation would also lose less.) We've talked about reducing the average Skill Rating gap that can happen between teams in Competitive Play, but the trade-off would be increased wait times, which we don't think is any more ideal.

• As noted earlier, we definitely hear your concerns about the way we communicate Skill Rating adjustments right now, and that it doesn't feel very clear. We're looking at improvements we could make for future seasons.
  • Our earlier change, making it so that leavers won't impact Skill Rating (for either team), is still in place. We think this change is an overall positive one, since it discourages bad leaver behavior, but we'll be paying close attention to your feedback. If it doesn't remain a positive change, we can consider reverting it/adjusting it further.

It actually doesn't discourage bad leaver behavior at all compared to the old system. Right now a player cannot grief the enemy team anymore, but they can still do so to their own team by leaving and forcing a 5v6 because they want to punish their team for being "bad". Whereas with the old system, leaving like that would cause their own team to end up losing less because the match would be less favored toward their team (so by leaving they are actually helping their team by both removing a toxic player and making them not lose as much SR as if they had stayed). Is it just me or does it seem like the new system is the one that encourages bad leaver behavior more than the old one?

I still feel like we should be able to test out the original system with the current bug fix to see what we actually think about it, considering we never got to experience the system in full working condition.
Is it just me or does it seem like the new system is the one that encourages bad leaver behavior more than the old one?

That would be true, but you have to keep in mind that most people leave when they're losing badly. At which point the losing team will more often just be glad they can leave after a minute without a leaver penalty, as the game was already most likely lost.
07/15/2016 11:58 AMPosted by NarcoticTool
I'm not sure what people are talking about here... when you are on the team and have a leaver, it literally says at the top in a RED bar that you can leave the game in like 45 seconds without penalty. And you DO literally lose like 1/10th or less of a level.

No you don't. You lose normal rank points. Can easily lose a whole rank because of a leaver.
This does not make any sense! To date i have over 20 games where someone has either lost connection or most likely rage quit! As a direct result we have lost as obviously 5 v 6 is pretty much over! So thatvequals 20 lost rank levels for me!

@blizzard i know this is difficult to resolve but its making my gaming experience very frustrating and tbh im almost at the point to stop ranked until major changes are implemented
I thought you are supposed to lose Skill Rating based on the average skill rating of both teams and how even it is. But then why is it when our entire team is solo with a SR of 59 vs a 4 man stack, and a 2 man with a SR of 64 I lost 95% of a SR level.

To me it would be completely in the enemies favor yet from what Blizzard has been saying. We should lose less but that does not seem to be the case ever. This has happened multiple times. I don't understand why it is even placing me in games that are uneven like this. Maybe the opponents we played were waiting in queue for 20 minutes and it just lowered the search range but still. I should never have to play against a team in this situation especially when I am solo queuing.

So far from what I have found out. Your matchmaking still needs a lot of work as it is currently unfair and I guess I would say broken?
07/15/2016 01:43 PMPosted by Lylirra
We've talked about reducing the average Skill Rating gap that can happen between teams in Competitive Play, but the trade-off would be increased wait times, which we don't think is any more ideal.

pretty much EVERYONE would prefer to wait longer for an even game than get thrown into an imbalanced match really fast.
I vote for longer wait times, for better balanced games. I think this is appropriate -especially when considering the time invested in each game (and time it takes to rank up).

Blizzard, please listen, longer wait times is not a bad thing, if it improves the matching making process and improves the overall competitive gaming experience.

I think most people would agree with this.

Thank you!
07/15/2016 01:43 PMPosted by Lylirra
Update #2: This fix is now live for PC and has rolled out to all of our servers, plus we were able to figure out a way to quickly deploy it to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as well (this is why it took a bit longer). Based on your reports, it appears this fix has been successful, but we'll continue keep watch on your on posts just in case.

• Our earlier change, [url="http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745727098"]making it so that leavers won't impact Skill Rating[/url] (for either team), is still in place. We think this change is an overall positive one, since it discourages bad leaver behavior, but we'll be paying close attention to your feedback. If it doesn't remain a positive change, we can consider reverting it/adjusting it further.

• It's still possible for players to gain less Skill Rating following certain wins, it just depends on the match-up. If you're on a team that's heavily favored, you're going to gain a smaller amount of Skill Rating for that win vs. wins in which both teams are more evenly matched (Conversely, the opposing team in this situation would also lose less.) We've talked about reducing the average Skill Rating gap that can happen between teams in Competitive Play, but the trade-off would be increased wait times, which we don't think is any more ideal.

• As noted earlier, we definitely hear your concerns about the way we communicate Skill Rating adjustments right now, and that it doesn't feel very clear. We're looking at improvements we could make for future seasons.

Thank you guys for this. Your point about reducing the avg skill rating gap that can happen. Please do that. I dont mind waiting even 10 minutes longer for an even match.

It seems like every time im on a 5 game win streak, we get matched with a team well over 10+ SR higher than us and we get shrekt. Mind you the SR loss is minimal, but its still a loss on my record. I would much rather wait longer for an even team than be matched against a far superior team
I also don't mind waiting upwards of 5-8 minutes for more evenly matched games. It feels so stupid to get steamrolled by a team that averages 5+ ranks above my team, or even to be the team that does the steamrolling. The gain and loss are both small, but it still sucks for the losing team and it feels like a waste of time for the winning team.

I've played plenty of other MMR-based PVP games and 5-8 wait times are perfectly fine for ranked modes.
5-8 minutes is way too long. Imagine waiting that entire time, then someone goes AFK on either team within the first minute. Game gets cancelled. You then get to wait another 5-10 minutes. That's a lot of time to play one game. If it happens more than once, you'll waste hours looking for a few games. No.
07/15/2016 04:45 AMPosted by PurePwnage
+1 for backfill

I'm ok with locking the slot for 60 sec and giving the player a chance to rejoin, but after 60 seconds there is really no reason not to use backfill and save the game

Yes, there is a reason:

No one wants to "backfill" into a game that has gone so far down the drain the people left it.