Not as fun as it was in open beta

General Discussion
for me, this game was amazing in the open beta period, i got home from school and couldnt wait to play it, i had fun and i won a lot of matches but i didnt care if i lost or not, i had like 5 legendaries by 25. but now this game is just meh... i get mad every game because of the enemy team comp, our team comp, some salty people, me being salty or just having an unfair match. ive gotten 1 legendary so far and im in late 20s level. the game just seems to have gotten worse and im not sure why.
anyone else relate?
It's called weariness i think.
You get bored with games quickly. Move onto a different game. Come back when you are bored with that one.
I found many people within the game to add to my friends list. Now I'm almost always in a group of 3 or more when I play. It's more fun when you're playing w/ people you know play well...
...and by "well" I don't mean Pro MLG, just means people that know how to counter, when to switch and how to form a good team comp.
Rather than the content itself I say the salty people and ridiculous team composition are the real problem at hand.
The problem is that people are starting to have a better understanding of how the game works at a competitive level, and when played well Overwatch is actually a fairly restrictive game. You can't just play your favourite character regardless of the situation and expect to get wins, you have to choose your characters specifically for the map and enemy team comp and fulfil your intended role.

There is still fun to be had here (most people will go through something similar when they start to understand how the competitive side of any game actually works), but it will likely require you to change your mindset towards the game and focus more on enjoying the strategy element.
Terotrous has it right. As players improve, the constraints put on true casuals increase if they want to have any success. Those constraints for some break the ability to enjoy the game.

The same thing is seen in any competitive game, from Table Top, to Cards, to Video Games to physical sports.
All fun drains out of the game because of the forced 50% w/l.

If you're good at the game it forces you to lose more than you would if you were just matched against people by pure randomness.

Meanwhile, it elevates bad players higher than they deserve and puts them on teams with good players that either carry them or the bad players make the good players lose.

F the matchmaker. Implement community servers where I chose the quality of players I'm put with.
It should get better when competitive finally releases because it should separate the true casual from those who want to win, although you will definitely get casuals who "want to play for real" but refuse to put any thought into how to play.
06/28/2016 12:16 PMPosted by Shade
for me, this game was amazing in the open beta period, i got home from school and couldnt wait to play it, i had fun and i won a lot of matches but i didnt care if i lost or not, i had like 5 legendaries by 25. but now this game is just meh... i get mad every game because of the enemy team comp, our team comp, some salty people, me being salty or just having an unfair match. ive gotten 1 legendary so far and im in late 20s level. the game just seems to have gotten worse and im not sure why.
anyone else relate?

Welcome to competitive gaming.. take it you haven't played any other competitive games, lolz
It probably felt more fun to you because it was a smaller group of people. And since not everyone can get into the beta you also probably felt special. Nothing wrong with that. Just trying to point out reasons for folks having more fun in a beta.
Games are always more fun when you don't take them seriously. I've been trying to explain this to all my friends that like to play super smash bros "competitively". I tell them that it ruins all of the fun.

So, if you want to have fun with Overwatch then you have to treat it like a video game and not take it so seriously.
06/28/2016 01:12 PMPosted by Izzy
Games are always more fun when you don't take them seriously. I've been trying to explain this to all my friends that like to play super smash bros "competitively". I tell them that it ruins all of the fun.

So, if you want to have fun with Overwatch then you have to treat it like a video game and not take it so seriously.

Competitive Smash Bros is still fun, it's just fun in a different way. Learning how to make the most of your character and play around what other characters can do is a deep and rewarding experience. It just requires a different mindset.
No. The game is fun. If you aren't having fun anymore and you dont know why, it's called boredom. Try playing something else.
The PvP world is pretty aggressive. It's been that way for a long time. While we slush it off, it builds, until we finally can't take it anymore. It's why I opt out of PvP games.

This is where playing against AI comes in handy. They're cylced with the same six heroes: Roadhog, Zaryia, Reaper, Soldier 76, Bastion and Zenyatta. You may get duplicates of the same hero, sacrificing one of the main heroes, to make room for the duplicate. I come to find Zaryia and Bastion are commonly cycled to make room for a duplicate Roadhog, Reaper, Zaryia or Zenyatta. Sometimes Soldier.

Fighting AI, they always stack and follow an automated path. On occassion, Soldier, Reaper, Bastion and Zenyatta will go Rogue. Roadhog and Zaryia usually have a companion teammate with them.

AI has their system, and you can always work around that system. Easy AI, you can play six Battle Mercies and still win. There's plenty of leeway. Medium AI, you gotta work at, a bit. Hard AI, the team should be running a good comp.

There's plenty of options, and you can still level, even if you only play AI. My mind is at better ease, by staying away from the PvP environment.
06/28/2016 12:47 PMPosted by JohnnyButane
All fun drains out of the game because of the forced 50% w/l.

If you're good at the game it forces you to lose more than you would if you were just matched against people by pure randomness.

Meanwhile, it elevates bad players higher than they deserve and puts them on teams with good players that either carry them or the bad players make the good players lose.

F the matchmaker. Implement community servers where I chose the quality of players I'm put with.

Try reading the huge matchmaking post and realizing that it doesn't work that way at all, and you're not as good as you think you are.
Open Beta was only for a few days. People who weren't in closed beta just wanted to try it out. None of the new players who tried open beta had any idea of what crazy comps to make. So of course then for 3-5 days it may have been more fun for you.

I know hero stacking can be frustrating, but believe it or not, if you start speaking in the mic and trying to coordinate with the team, there are actually people who will listen. You just need to use communication. Of course there will be other matches no one listens. But you can try and if no one listens then the game will likely end shortly anyways. Think of it as a chance to get better and try working on counters on your own then since no one else will listen.
06/28/2016 01:30 PMPosted by Aaeiyn
The PvP world is pretty aggressive. It's been that way for a long time. While we slush it off, it builds, until we finally can't take it anymore. It's why I opt out of PvP games.

This is where playing against AI comes in handy. They're cylced with the same six heroes: Roadhog, Zaryia, Reaper, Soldier 76, Bastion and Zenyatta. You may get duplicates of the same hero, sacrificing one of the main heroes, to make room for the duplicate. I come to find Zaryia and Bastion are commonly cycled to make room for a duplicate Roadhog, Reaper, Zaryia or Zenyatta. Sometimes Soldier.

Fighting AI, they always stack and follow an automated path. On occassion, Soldier, Reaper, Bastion and Zenyatta will go Rogue. Roadhog and Zaryia usually have a companion teammate with them.

AI has their system, and you can always work around that system. Easy AI, you can play six Battle Mercies and still win. There's plenty of leeway. Medium AI, you gotta work at, a bit. Hard AI, the team should be running a good comp.

There's plenty of options, and you can still level, even if you only play AI. My mind is at better ease, by staying away from the PvP environment.

There's a decent amount of truth to this, simply because of the power of anonymity the internet brings. Any competitive game that requires face to face interaction will check some of the hostility and encourage sportsmanship rather than not; unfortunately being anonymous lends itself to more bad than good - it's easier to get away acting badly than it is being recognized for doing good.
There wasn't as much time to scrutinize the flaws during open beta. TBH the first couple weeks post-release were about the same as open beta because everything was still new and we were finally able to group up with friends who didn't get in on the beta.

But after that, it become clear just how rough the game is around the edges. Every firefight began to feel the same due to the lack of movement mechanics, oversimplified weapon mechanics and emphasis on character gimmicks, hard counters, and CC. The weak projectile/hitscan balance which was already obvious from day one just got increasingly old. Widow/McCree nerfs helped, but still left a lot to be desired.

At this point there just isn't a character involved enough to be intriguing for me, and issues holding so many characters back are just too obvious, with too little chance of any fix in the near future.
06/28/2016 01:25 PMPosted by Terotrous
06/28/2016 01:12 PMPosted by Izzy

Competitive Smash Bros is still fun, it's just fun in a different way. Learning how to make the most of your character and play around what other characters can do is a deep and rewarding experience. It just requires a different mindset.

It's subjective. You can't really tell us that it's "still fun" if we disagree, because it is subjective.