PSA: Zarya is not a very good solo tank

General Discussion
07/05/2016 11:21 AMPosted by Watermelon
07/03/2016 10:18 PMPosted by poochie
I agree.
Same rule applies to D.Va.

D.Va just sucks period

Ye, Im not the best Dva player but i think im a little bit above average. Still, whenever im doing good with her i feel that i could have done a lot better with other heroes
I often pick her instead of Reinhardt in quick play because people are too stupid to stand behind Rein's shield most of the time.
07/05/2016 11:23 AMPosted by Acidburn
07/05/2016 11:21 AMPosted by Watermelon

D.Va just sucks period

Ye, Im not the best Dva player but i think im a little bit above average. Still, whenever im doing good with her i feel that i could have done a lot better with other heroes

Her role is hard to rely define. I see her as a tanky assassin. But she can be played as a strong front line fighter and clutch objectives very well with her ult. Area denial is very important.

She can fill a few roles so while others can exceed her in those individual roles, her flexibility is nothing to sneeze at. Even if i don't get play of the game at the very least i have killed their support numerous times and destroyed their tanks. Feels good.
DVa is the best tank for about 4 seconds, then Barrier goes down and you explode
Tfw when random teammate says "nice off tank" at beginning of game and I carry the team to victory with 4 golds around Zarya's neck!
Zarya works decent with D.Va actually.
Either way 2 tank, 2 support, 2 DPS seems to be the meta, so if you are playing comp, don't just roll with 1 tank, regardless of who it is.
I agree.

Eh I tend to disagree. I play very well with her as an ambush play style especially against them widowmakers lol although I agree that she performs better in a group, mostly because she can deflect ults like Pharah's. I think she's viable for both imo.
07/05/2016 11:43 AMPosted by SaltyBalls69
I agree.

Eh I tend to disagree. I play very well with her as an ambush play style especially against them widowmakers lol although I agree that she performs better in a group, mostly because she can deflect ults like Pharah's. I think she's viable for both imo.

You haven't lived until you have activated defense matrix and flew STRAIGHT into an ulting Pharah and then melt her on the way down.

Funny as hell man.
I agree.

Because shes just not a tank to begin with.
Can I add to this? Maybe I should just make a thread about it as well, but Zenyatta isnt a main healer. Dont look at him and go oh cool, we got a healer... I hate when I decide to pick Zenyatta to combo up with some lucio, and as soon as the player sees me they switch to reaper or something. <_< Im sitting there like noooo come backkkkk! :( y u do

Im not saying he cant, ive solo healed successfully in like, qm...lol I just would prefer not to because I dont think solo Zen is very good.
07/05/2016 11:45 AMPosted by Wolfgang666
07/05/2016 11:43 AMPosted by SaltyBalls69

You haven't lived until you have activated defense matrix and flew STRAIGHT into an ulting Pharah and then melt her on the way down.

Funny as hell man.

Lol I need to try that. :D
07/05/2016 11:46 AMPosted by Chrono
I agree.

Because shes just not a tank to begin with.

What, D.va? 400 armor and defense matrix says otherwise.
There is only one "solo tank" in Overwatch. There is no need to use the term when you can simply say "Reinhardt".
07/05/2016 12:35 PMPosted by JCDenton
There is only one "solo tank" in Overwatch. There is no need to use the term when you can simply say "Reinhardt".

Pretty much what i think.

Every other tank in the game isnt really a "tank", atleast not in the usual term.

They are more like guys who can take more punishment and still give plenty of damage back. Anything but rein when focused fired by a team will fall pretty fast, from diva,without the matrix ofc, to hog, even if he heals himself.
07/03/2016 10:32 PMPosted by Nev
Maybe I play D.Va incorrectly, but I am super aggressive with her even on the front lines. I love scattering Reins and Roadhogs, and even Lucios who overextend. She's obviously very good at keeping backline heroes cautious and uprooted, but playing her up front and aggressive is tons of fun and pretty effective, from my experience.

Rein is the only "tank" who can really assume the traditional role of such. Zarya is a beast up front if you can play her well, though.

My experience as well, I play D.Va aggressively and I have more success with her than Zarya. Of course my experiences are from quick play, perhaps competitive is much different.
07/05/2016 11:45 AMPosted by Wolfgang666

Funny as hell man.

As someone who plays a lot of Pharah, stop that!
lol
I've been playing a lot of Zarya lately (after playing Reinhardt for longer then any other tank) and I prefer her in pubs more then Rein due to the reason that more often then not I have a team of basically all flanking characters (Genji*, Reaper, Tracer) which makes my shield useless except for protecting the healer which also can't do his/her job because all the characters that are taking damage are getting destroyed trying to 1v1 the entire enemy team across the map.

I would not dare use Roadhog or Winston because the healer would have little to no protection in most situations, especially Roadhog who the healer would be forced to deal with increased amounts of enemy Ultimates.

*From what I've played, there is ALWAYS a Genji, both on my team and the enemy team.
Playing D.Va aggressively creates such chaos in the front and back lines.. don't underestimate her abilities when played correctly.. not a true tank but very versatile on offense and defense..