Spectate Competitive Games

Competitive Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Highly Rated
I really wish we could spectate our friend's competitive matches! I know it may be a problem if the spectator start to call out the game, but a solution would be watching it with delay.
I agree, perhaps only being able to spectate a single player in FPS mode only until they die, then you get to swap, if it is ever an issue.
UP, Spectating's so fun, why can't we do this :(((
Yes please.
i agree with maryan u should make a delay same as league of legends .
We want to add more spectate features to the game. We're definitely on board with this idea. It's just a matter of time and scheduling for us at this point.
I wonder how you would do this effectively though, like even if you had a 10 second delay, you could still check ult status and stuff and cheat that way. Unless we're talking about a delay of like 1-2 minutes which is huge!
Most likely, just not show Ult statuses and other important info.
07/05/2016 08:31 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We want to add more spectate features to the game. We're definitely on board with this idea. It's just a matter of time and scheduling for us at this point.

Hiw would ghosting and harassment from spectators be handled?
Don't let spectators chat in the same box as the player chat, and remove the UI so they can't call stuff out via Skype or what have you.

Also for spectate a "free cam" would be nice.
+1! Just give a delay of 60-120 seconds to the spectators to prevent call-outs.
What about "request to join group" basically not being functional in competitive?

In quick play I liked the idea to join friends existing group, and when they accepted me I joined the group and spectated their running game until the end, and then I was included in the next one.

Why is this not working anymore in competitive like it is in quick play? Now it's basically impossible to get into groups wihout manually sending messages to them or waiting all the time when they are again in the menus for few seconds.
Spectating Competitive matches would be a very good thing; folks (like me) who've just reached lvl 25 can have a look and see what that game mode is all about.
I prefer spectating without delay, but you wouldn't be able to change the camera to see the other team.
07/05/2016 09:24 AMPosted by LuckyPants
Don't let spectators chat in the same box as the player chat, and remove the UI so they can't call stuff out via Skype or what have you.

Also for spectate a "free cam" would be nice.

Just do like league. Pretty easy, add a spectate delay of like 10-30 seconds so you can never actually help someone by skyping them and keep the spectator chat away from regular chat. All problems solved.
I can see that in high competitive game (let's say rank 75+) there may be an incentive to have somebody spectate and tell you positions of opponent players, watch where Symmetra placed teleport and other important things like that.
So, I am not sure how to make this unexploitable.
CSGO does this with a delay. I don't know the delay time exactly but it's like 1-2 minutes.

By extension, this allows you to watch professional matches by having the GOTV ip address. I hope Overwatch has this in the future as well.
07/05/2016 11:59 AMPosted by carneiro
I prefer spectating without delay, but you wouldn't be able to change the camera to see the other team.

There may be issues with that. How would you choose which team to spectate? At the beginning? Then you would be locked into seeing only one team. What prevents you from leaving and rejoining spectate mode to view the other team? Perhaps if you could only spectate by invitation then maybe. What if you decide you want to see how the other team is playing or what strategies they are using? A delay would allow a lot of freedom to spectate who you wish and possibly even third person or an eagle eye. I would imagine realtime spectating is open to exploitation and would have to have a lot of view restrictions.

I suppose you can always have two spectator modes. If you want to watch a friend (by invitation only) then you can be locked to your friend's teamview and be fed realtime information. If however you want to spectate a game in general you can be fed a delayed view. Does make the system a little more complex though.
Upvoted