Won Nubani and still went up 1/10th

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
This was last night. I won Route 66 and it barely went up the very same as KOTH. Are people honestly going up the correct amount on all of the payloads or have the White Knights helped Blizzards situation by spreading that it is only 3 courses? It is all of them for me. Jeff only listed 3 maps and I have suffered the consequences worldwide.

It was actually going up a lot and good the first night but I honestly believe it has come down to the same issue on all maps now. Can people confirm this so they fix this super bug ?

This is especially the situation with healers and tanks. I heal a lot, and tank quite a bit to fill out the team because few people have the decency to balance. No matter how much I heal , even when I survive the entire match with no deaths and taking at or near 50% of the team dmg, I have gone up so small of an amount it makes me want to cry.

I have gotten 5 gold medals on payload and barely gone up. Is that not good? Once in a 2 game Numbani I healed first round, but someone picked heals the second round, I went with offense, and ended with the gold in Dmg objective kills and maintained the gold in healing, and we lost, and with it I lost a level and a half.

These are common situations. I think it is more widespread than you think. Please address these issues, and what exactly is measuring our performance because as you see , what I think most of us would consider good performance is garnering nothing, and for those few of us tanking and healing, it never goes up proper no matter what.
The amount that you go up or down is not a set amount. Factors such as your skill rating, your opponent's skill rating and your individual performance are all part of the equation.

The current Competitive System is not a progression-based system where you are gaining a set amount of "exp" for a win. We are constantly calibrating your skill as it relates to the other players that you win or lose against. This means sometimes it will go up or down very little and other times it will go up or down a lot.
It almost makes me think the "Placement" matches are the most important matches of the season
06/30/2016 09:13 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
The amount that you go up or down is not a set amount. Factors such as your skill rating, your opponent's skill rating and your individual performance are all part of the equation.

The current Competitive System is not a progression-based system where you are gaining a set amount of "exp" for a win. We are constantly calibrating your skill as it relates to the other players that you win or lose against. This means sometimes it will go up or down very little and other times it will go up or down a lot.

So how is Reinhardt rated?
and your individual performance

Would you be willing to shed some light on how this is factored in?

On this note can we please talk about how the score system is messing up tanks and supports in Competitive rankings? DPS players get more score each game because of the way it works, and we are fairly sure the score system is what is considered "individual performance" since it was conveniently hidden right when comp play was released.

This isn't an attack, but the bias towards DPS is a real issue.
06/30/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Glymner

Damage blocked, eliminations, and objective time I'd imagine.
I really like the idea of that system, thanks for posting about it. Thanksnfor posting about the KOTH bug also I look forward to it being resolved.

Jeff I have explained on multiple posts last night situations where I had a lot of golds. and won and didn't go up. I have swept golds before and not gone up barely at all. I have swept golds and taken the payload a quarter inch away from the end to lose, and lost a level and a half. It is not my play Mr. Kaplan. I am doing fine.

I heal most of the time for my time I will admit and get the Gold in that and objective usually, but am I being punished then for healing? Because I usually do quite a bit and my win rate with lucio is 68% so please answer again Jeff. I have been trying to find out about this so called individual skill because I have been so upset no matter how well I do I go up hardly at all and down to the center of the earth for a loss.

Jeff, do you think the initial SR is bugged. My sister went 3-7 in her placements. To me, that would mean that her initial SR should be low for her MMR. But now, in her compitative matches she's getting big losses and small gains. Seems the system is trying to adjust her down even further... isn't that what placement is for? Seems like your initial SR should result in near equal gains/losses.
06/30/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Mystblade
It almost makes me think the "Placement" matches are the most important matches of the season

The placement matches aren't significantly more important than your other matches. We're using those to help calibrate your relative rating to other players. Placement is more about finding a decent starting point for you. You'll keep adjusting up and down over the course of the season.

Thanks for the information Jeff.

Mind having someone with maybe more free time to make a blog post or similar to explain exactly how the different heroes and our individual performance are being monitored?

We already know you compare how we play a hero on a map to other people playing the same hero on the same map. However, do you take into account the fact some heroes are being played only on some part of the map for example? For example, wouldn't it be easy to get a good Symmetra rating by playing her the entire game instead of just the first 5 minutes for her teleport?

Do the hero roles play a part in how we are rated? Would a tank or support hero have a harder time getting higher skill rating (it's what we are seeing at the moment, but no proof and it's been too soon to draw real conclusion) ?

A lot of questions and answers needed all around, hence why I suggest a blog post would be more approriate and reach more people.
06/30/2016 09:16 AMPosted by Urgot

On this note can we please talk about how the score system is messing up tanks and supports in Competitive rankings? DPS players get more score each game because of the way it works, and we are fairly sure the score system is what is considered "individual performance" since it was conveniently hidden right when comp play was released.

This isn't an attack, but the bias towards DPS is a real issue.

THIS A MILLION TIMES OVER. I am being punished for healing nearly every time when no one else will. Even though it is competitive all the turds are still only picking offense. Half the time I have to choose between tanking or healing to fill out the last spot. I am sure as they continue to rewarded less and less , it will get worse and worse to the point we will only have 5 reapers and a Mcree each time .
Can you comment on the state of Tanks and Healers in relation to individual 'skill' calculations compared to DPS.

[/quote]

Jeff, can you guys be a bit more specific/transpaent about what exactly is counted towards individual performance? Gold Medals?

How are things like Lucio's speed boost quantified?

But how do these factors work? I'm having a hard time figuring out how I can play possibly the best game of my life last night (gold in eliminations, objective kills, objective time, and damage done, plus 50-something percent kill participation) as Reinhardt but barely tick up on experience. Then, a couple games later (after a loss where I dropped from 44.5 to 43.5), I can play a terrible game and gain way more in experience as an offensive hero. Neither of those games were on KotH maps.

Just doesn't seem to make sense.
06/30/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Glymner
and your individual performance are all part of the equation.

This is what worries me having hidden factors that we have no way of knowing are working correctly. Just playing devils advocate here but let's say more progression is awarded to damage done then to healing. Well then playing a healer would actually be a bad thing. However you have no way of knowing this because it is a hidden factor. I get they are trying to make it fair across all roles but who decides what is fair. The other downside is that they will never be able to tell us what the factors are as people will start abusing them like we know they would.
06/30/2016 09:18 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
06/30/2016 09:14 AMPosted by Mystblade

The placement matches aren't significantly more important than your other matches. We're using those to help calibrate your relative rating to other players. Placement is more about finding a decent starting point for you. You'll keep adjusting up and down over the course of the season.

Thanks for the reply :) But that is sort of my point. It seems that the placement matches AREN'T finding a good starting point. If it was a good starting point, your gains and losses should be ROUGHLY equal.
06/30/2016 09:21 AMPosted by Lukar

But how do these factors work? I'm having a hard time figuring out how I can play possibly the best game of my life last night (gold in eliminations, objective kills, objective time, and damage done, plus 50-something percent kill participation) as Reinhardt but barely tick up on experience. Then, a couple games later (after a loss where I dropped from 44.5 to 43.5), I can play a terrible game and gain way more in experience as an offensive hero.

Just doesn't seem to make sense.

This has happened to me too several times and thats why I am still not satisfied. It happened on payloads too. I have done that on Offense. I have not died before as Lucio and Healed well over 20k in Numbai and I went up so little I am not sure if I did or not.