Competitive - Everybody's Angry

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
Perhaps the title should have been "everybody's crazy", because this game mode is absolutely chaotic.

I'm sure there are hundreds of posts in the forums about this already, and a massive number of players are constantly complaining about this game mode. Every time I enter a match, my teammates and the opposing team are flooding the chat with either slander and racial slurs, or "I hate this f -ing game mode". If you don't like it, don't play it.

As it's only been up since June 27 and is nowhere near the end of the season (for a hope of updates and fixes), we can't complain too much, but there is a looooot of fine tuning and adjustments a lot of us thinks it needs.

Everybody's confused and and angry about the ranking, as am I. It makes no sense. First it seemed to only be a thing if you won or lost, but now Kaplan is telling us it's also based on maps and is based on our performance, but how can that be?

I was just in a match on Dorado to move the payload, our team was the underdog by three whole points as a team average (we had a 48 rank on the other team, and a 29 on ours), and we entered sudden death but our team won in the end 6 to 3... Not only that, but we also got mega killstreaks, a Reaper on our team did 74% kill participation in the last two rounds, and yet we all dropped ranks. And this is a recurring thing.

It doesn't seem to matter if the whole team knows what they're doing, or only one or two people do-- if I get a 20 player killstreak as Reaper more than once and do 60% of our team's damage or if I only kill 6 or 7 times-- doesn't matter if I do 12k healing and assisted eliminations or if I die repeatedly and only do 3k healing, our ranks keep dropping, or they go up but only a very tiny amount.

My brothers have both noticed this as well. Everybody is noticing this. You lose a game, you lose a full rank. You win a game, your rank goes up like 1/16th of the bar.

Leaving also seems to be a contributing factor, which isn't really fair. If you leave the match and don't come back, yes, give a penalty and yes, drop their rank. But if you leave and immediately return, that shouldn't do anything to your rank. On a separate match, I was playing D.va and our healer had died and I was targeted by three enemy players and died, and I was stuck on the kill cam! I couldn't get out of it no matter what I did, and I had no choice but to leave, and then rejoin, yet that made my rank drop by 80% even though I otherwise played very well and we won.

What is even going on with the ranking system?
It needs to be fixed, somehow someway, though it probably won't happen until this season is over, which sucks.

I personally find ranking pointless right now, because I've played with 55 ranks who do horrible jobs, and 28 ranks who do amazing jobs. "It's team based!" Yeah, but what if you get paired up with a horrible team who isn't focused on the objective? There's someone I played with (who I blocked and Avoided repeatedly but still keep ending up in matches with them) who would constantly harass the entire team, but did a pretty amazing job. Yet now his rank is 26.

It's pretty belittling and kind of eats at you to have everybody harassing you and attacking you in chat and telling you to end your life or permanently quit gaming because of rank drops that you can't control... because doing your best clearly isn't enough.
For a game with balloon head hitboxes and no-counter ults that charge even if the person does nothing, people sure get riled up about it.
Did anyone actually NOT see this coming?

I mean, we live in a world where LoL is considered to have the worst community in gaming, and the majority of those players seem to be jumping ship to Overwatch because Blizzard has !@#$-all in terms of an actual moderation system in place.

Add that to the fact that 90% of the people playing have no idea what the actual hell they're doing, as well as a ranking system that just seems to be borrowed from HotS where it more accurately rates how well everyone else %^-*s you over rather than your own skill level, and of course you're going to have a recipe for disaster.
just had a afk, half the time one way on defense, and all the time afk on attack. that sort of !@#$ makes people angry. we lost, but for 5 vs 6 we did ok. Its not the game, its the people, always the people.
I did my 10 placement matches and wasn't overall happy with the experience. I ended up ranked mid 30s. To be honest, that doesn't concern me so much as the 2:8 record. I feel like I've played a lot better and with a lot better teams in random play. The real kicker is I have more fun in random play - like leagues and leagues. I can rock 10-20 kill streaks and 35+ kills - and had NONE of that in matched play.

I guess in the end it means I suck, but it wasn't a pleasant experience and I'm not motivated to do more of it. But I really felt more than it meaning I suck, I was aggravated at people playing Tracer on D, or picking Tobjorn for D and then swapping after 30 seconds in the match (leaving us short a turret and not telling anyone).

I think more than losing 8 matches, I felt like I got facerolled 8 matches. Realistically, 2 of them were close - and the other 6 were facerolls. I feel like the random match play had better matches than the rated matchmaker - and the random one isn't even trying to match skill....
06/30/2016 09:46 PMPosted by SpookyBeef

I mean, we live in a world where LoL is considered to have the worst community in gaming, and the majority of those players seem to be jumping ship to Overwatch because Blizzard has !@#$-all in terms of an actual moderation system in place.

Add that to the fact that 90% of the people playing have no idea what the actual hell they're doing, as well as a ranking system that just seems to be borrowed from HotS where it more accurately rates how well everyone else %^-*s you over rather than your own skill level, and of course you're going to have a recipe for disaster.
i was hoping it wouldnt become this, im starting to miss the beta. Mark my words i saw this happen in lol when it started, it begins with ranked, soon every mode will be filled with semi puber angry kids, raging and crying that their teams sucks and just because they have 10 more levels they are really pro at this game and everyone should listen to them, or it could go the cod route with racist, xenophobic insults where everyone fu?$" everyones moms.
Yeah, of course they are. The amount of rank changed when losing is so much more than winning, so even if you win it's just 'eh.'
Got my 10 matches, QP it is when I feel like playing lol. BF1 can't be here soon enough
06/30/2016 10:01 PMPosted by Mtroop
Yeah, of course they are. The amount of rank changed when losing is so much more than winning, so even if you win it's just 'eh.'

I have yet to see these lopsided gains vs losses that you and others keep reporting. Not saying it isn't happening, just not seeing it personally..

My first game of the day I lost, dropped down to 55.. won the next game, went back up to 56. Great. Then lost the next game, back down to 55.. then back up to 56, and then back down again to 55..

So far it just feels like a game of 1 step forward, 1 step back, which is alright I guess.. I wonder why others are seeing such different results.
well at least when i play ranked ill be able to use the Lucio voice line appropriately
"why are you so angry?"

My first game of the day I lost, dropped down to 55.. won the next game, went back up to 56. Great. Then lost the next game, back down to 55.. then back up to 56, and then back down again to 55..

[/quote]

You'll see it eventually. Lost games and dropped a whole rank. Won game and got like 1/10 of a rank. Or they will fix it an you never see it.. I hope so anyway.
06/30/2016 09:56 PMPosted by Firestyle
I feel like the random match play had better matches than the rated matchmaker - and the random one isn't even trying to match skill....

It is matching your skill, there is a hidden mmr in quickplay.
06/30/2016 10:24 PMPosted by BGog

You'll see it eventually. Lost games and dropped a whole rank. Won game and got like 1/10 of a rank. Or they will fix it an you never see it.. I hope so anyway.[/quote]

No he wont.. Most people above are not stuck in hell.
06/30/2016 09:46 PMPosted by SpookyBeef

I sense in you much salt. I pray your soul finds peace in the stillness of reason, just as a leaf finds stillness on the surface of an undisturbed pond. May your spirit stay afloat the depths of darkness that lie beneath the surface.

- Hanzo
In quickplay. People got 50 50 win rates. And then they complained that the game was rigged. Because they should be winning more than 50 percent.

And then competitive comes out. And not only is not 50 percent win rates. Now you dont even win. lol.

I think its fine.
Won 2 games, Went up a rank each

Lost some games, Went down alittle, but didnt derank....

Not sure what everyone is talking about....
06/30/2016 09:56 PMPosted by Firestyle
The real kicker is I have more fun in random play - like leagues and leagues. I can rock 10-20 kill streaks and 35+ kills - and had NONE of that in matched play.

It's exactly the same with me. Fantastic kill streaks and a big number of eliminations, but not so often in competitive. :/
06/30/2016 10:35 PMPosted by XecutorAdun
I sense in you much salt. I pray your soul finds peace in the stillness of reason, just as a leaf finds stillness on the surface of an undisturbed pond. May your spirit stay afloat the depths of darkness that lie beneath the surface.

- Hanzo

My salt levels will only go down the day we get community servers so that we can solve 90% of the matchmaking problems ourselves.
I'm wondering if part of the ranking problem is actually the teams as a whole. Which is also unfair. If one person does poorly, why should the rest of the team suffer?
06/30/2016 10:56 PMPosted by Chrom4tik
I'm wondering if part of the ranking problem is actually the teams as a whole. Which is also unfair. If one person does poorly, why should the rest of the team suffer?
Because, my dear friend, teams work in the same way a machine is a sum of its parts. When one part fails, the machine will perform more poorly, and as more parts fail, the entire machine will eventually fail.

That is the essence of teamwork. You need to work together, like it or not, to compensate for weakness, and rise above a weak link to work as a unit, as a team.

- <Insert name of inspirational speaker>