Did competitive fail?

Competitive Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 14 Next
07/01/2016 02:28 PMPosted by Tezeret

Honestly...this is the most unfun experience I've ever had in ANY game ever. again, I know I'm not the best...but Im not claiming to be. but it is impossible to progress. especially with this collective punishment crap, and !@#$ed up placement....

I see you've never tried hots.
07/01/2016 03:22 PMPosted by Helghast

Honestly...this is the most unfun experience I've ever had in ANY game ever. again, I know I'm not the best...but Im not claiming to be. but it is impossible to progress. especially with this collective punishment crap, and !@#$ed up placement....

I have tried HotS...
Wasn't my thing. lol I got bored of it in beta...never bothered with it when it went live. too repeatitive.
They also brought over hero switching from quick match. Idk why they did that for, it just caused players like me to quit.

I play hots and this !@#$ is so much more depressing to try to play for real because of the people in competitive who; don't use mics, "main" a hero and only that hero, don't know how to use the hero that they "main" or insist on playing, leavers, trolls, and a team that steamrolls you because of %^-*ty stacks and then throw a taunt out in chat after they beat you with a bull!@#$ comp that requires no strategy.
For me personally, yes, I think it's the weakest competitive mode I've seen in any game in a long time.

Between the horrendous sudden death coin flip and you getting a loss because some clown on your team you don't know quits the game 5 seconds into the match as well as the rewards being horribly tacky plastic gold weapons that clash with almost all skins, yeah, I think I'm not that interested anymore.
You ADHD mother!@#$ers its been out less than a week! It will probably be several seasons before the kinks get ironed out.
I kind of hate it. I was placed at 47 after the most retarded placement system ever...My first match I got DCed and so took the loss. Then I'd get in teams where I just got utterly steamrolled. Teams where half of my team rage quit and I'm sitting there alone with Mercy. Or my team would just wreck the other team. But majority were losses. I had thought that placement took your individual performance into account but that seems to be incorrect just like the ranking "points" system that was said to rate you on your personal skill, not the fact your team had an AFK Junkrat or your buddy wasn't having a good match.

I helped a buddy place and in doing so, my score just sank because we kept winning KotH maps but lost a few in Lijiang and didn't realize there was an issue with the rank XP. But after that bug got me sent down below 45, I cannot get any higher. Just lower and lower. I can kill the whole enemy team over and over and heal til I turn blue but I can't seem to rank up. I win, I get a sliver of progress. I lose, I lose entire levels. At the same rate I lost them at higher rank. But instead of losing the majority of the lvl 47 bar per match, I'm losing a bar and half in the low 40s and now 30s. I lost a match earlier where I had 69 kills and the Zarya on my team had 95 and we were pretty evenly matched but the other team got off a clutch wombo. And we lost a level each. HOW is that a fair system?

I can't play with my friends anymore. I played a few hours more than the majority of them. They are still 48-50. If I play with them, we get Underdog teams against us because of me. And then if we lose, I get utterly destroyed rank-wise. This is just the most disappointing thing. I'm an average player. I'm not godmode but I'm not terrible. But I'm stuck now and it's a very unfun place to be.
07/01/2016 03:53 PMPosted by B3M0
You ADHD mother!@#$ers its been out less than a week! It will probably be several seasons before the kinks get ironed out.

So you're saying everyone should come back in a year?
07/01/2016 03:38 PMPosted by Tezeret

I have tried HotS...
Wasn't my thing. lol I got bored of it in beta...never bothered with it when it went live. too repeatitive.

And this game isn't repetitive? lol. Sc2 isn't repetitive? A lot of games are repetitive.
Its been out for 4 days.

It certainly needs some balances and patches put into place, but I think saying it failed is a little excessive, this early on.
07/01/2016 03:00 PMPosted by Shoryuke
you wanna know if the competitive mode is a failure?

then watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjYndnpt0Q

This is, without a doubt, the best thing I've ever watched. Literally dying irl.
07/01/2016 03:54 PMPosted by ViciousJawa
07/01/2016 03:53 PMPosted by B3M0

So you're saying everyone should come back in a year?

If you can't handle the growing pains then yes gtfo and come back in a year. These twitch, chicken little sky is falling, spaz posts are getting old.
Yes, competitive failed tremendously. Overwatch would be frustrating every once in a while before, but playing competitive is reliably infuriating every single time, for exactly the same reasons you've listed.
07/01/2016 03:06 PMPosted by FunZy
I totally feel author of the post, i am experiencing the same thing, started at 47 im 39 now, im just counting one loss after another. To be honest i think ranked play isnt for this type of game, but since they added it, it should have some other kinds of requirements, like not being able to queue for competitive without mic connected or some other stuff.

My story is similar to yours, I started at 46 and climbed up to 51 hung there for a bit and then I started getting matched with dullards and people who genuinely seemed like they started the game 2 days ago but were placed high.
I have now lost every single match save for 3 and plummeted down to 39.... That is basically one solid day of plummeting with no wins.
The lower you get the worse the teams get, and now i am being paired with rank 24-32 me being the highest.
I pretty much have given up and stopped playing to win and am going to see how far I can tank it.

Seems far more possible to hit zero than it is to climb up more than one rank at the bottom of the barrel. Blizzard straight up !@#$ed up after all the beta and a delay.

Should have seen this coming after WoW and HotS.
I was having fun with it, I thought the matches I got in were fairly well-balanced in Placement and then the first couple of matches in competitive itself... then I think it went down hill (at least for me, for my own reasons): last night in particular felt like it was just bending me over: got into games where a single member of the enemy team hyper-carried (ironically, it was a Widow main! - This was that member being -amazingly- skilled, not Widow being op or w/e).

Like, I'm not sure if they were just out of placement or something, but it felt like they should have been in another bracket entirely rather than the 55-65 bracket.

Then there's Capture Point maps (Volskaya/Hanamura/Anubis) - I dread seeing those. I'm not a huge fan of Volskaya in Quick Play, but in Competitive I prepare myself for multiple rounds that don't mean anything except lengthening the amount of time you have to play this one game mode. Yeah, it might give the team who finished slower a chance to win but still... it's the worst.

Not to mention that I found out last night that it has Sudden Death as well, which is just awful on top of the extended rounds.

Essentially, I feel like the game mode (even the Capture Points) was solid during the Placement Matches. There were almost no steamrolls, when you lost you might get salty but it was the enemy team being better and running an actual comp. When you won it felt great.

After that... there's been two games I've played in Competitive that have made me feel that way. A Route 66 payload where both teams played a solid offense and defense and made it to the final point, and we won in sudden death. Then a Numbani match where we held off a team of Rein, Road, Zarya, Lucio, 76, and Tracer at defense and pushed hard during attack to win.

I'm also seeing a hell of a lot more salt on both sides of the match. I kind of expected a bit more salt, but during Placement there were very few occasions of it. People'd get resigned or curse - but I'm basically seeing the same level of angry BS that you could see in League of Legends from teams that lose, or even teams that win some of the time.

EDIT: I think one mistake on Blizzard's part (and it was something I initially thought was good and made sense) was the complete removal of a 'safety net'. Yes, you shouldn't have been able to never drop a rank like it was during beta - but at the same time, from what people are saying, the drop is literally killing their scores and they're falling into holes they can't claw out of.

Might be a safe idea to implement a 'safety net' that isn't as forgiving as 'You'll never drop a rank!' but is more forgiving than 'You've dropped 10 ranks, enjoy your team of 5 snipers.'
I got placed at 42 and carried myself to 52 in solo que playing mostly my favorite cowboy mccree. After 50 it starts to get impossible to carry urself unless u play meta heroes or play ranked as a group.
The problem they have made is starting everyone around 45-55 after placements.

Now the bad players are adjusting downwards, to their actual ranking which is very demoralising.

Also, having the best players getting only 60 odd after placements is just as bad is they have to smash everyone to get their realistic ranking in the top 3% of 97+.

They distribution of ranks is just way off. It should be evenly distributed but start everyone lower so they can build up / feel rewarded.
but can't seem to do better because the teams don't communicate or listen.

While you of course will not be able to carry every game, you make a dramatic change in the game if you are "above your current MMR"

Right now in the mid 50s is my true MMR because I can't climb above 60, but can't fall below 50.

Yes, games are drastically one-sided in many cases due to the matchmaking system trying to sort out player's actual MMR.

However, that is because there are 1 or 2 players absolutely demolishing us. Lower MMR and early placements I literally steamrolled the games. I don't do this anymore.
Not blasting Blizzard or the OW dev team. I think they are doing their best to make a fun and great FPS game that is overall a big success in a market that so far has made very few new innovations. OW I think has the potential to change some of that and breath new life into a fun but unfortunately stale genre with some pretty dedicated players.

I do feel the same way as the main poster has stated.

I placed rank 50 then made the mistake of helping my friends place. My rank dropped to 46. I thought no problem I'll run solo after we're done and advance my rank.

Well the amount of xp you lose from a loss versus the amount you gain from a win are vastly different. At the very least appear to favor punishing you for your losses.
This is extremely frustrating when you are running solo because you have no control over the random teammates you'll encounter.

After attempting to get back to rank 50 and getting on either terrible teams or facing teams that were very coordinated my rank continued to fall. Now I'm trying to grind my way out of 44.

Right now Competitive Play feels very much that your xp loss is based very much on your team's performance and very little on what you did as an individual player. It is discouraging to watch the rank bar move very little for a win but drop like a skydiver with an elephant strapped to their back when you lose. You feel like you are fighting an uphill battle.

I think something that may help is to implement some aspects of the system World of Warships ranked system uses. Rank locks.
Once you reach certain ranks you don't have to worry about losing that rank. Sure the grind is just as long but at least you aren't losing ranks because of teams that fall apart for whatever reason. It also feels like you've at the very least been rewarded for your effort.

Right now as it stands Competitive Play feels like you are punished more than you are rewarded, that your individual contribution to the team means little, and it feels like more of a grind because you are have more working against you than several other ranked battle systems.

Regarding playing with friends. It creates an atmosphere where you will reject playing with your friends (one of the selling points of the game) to avoid having them drag you down. That's a fantastic message to broadcast to them <----- sarcasm.

Bluntly put it says "Hey we're buddies and all but I can't help you because if I do, I'm going to get punished for it." I've played a lot of FPS since the beginning of the multiplayer component of the genre and that kind of statement will only devolve into a toxic elitists environment where rank is more important than friendship or teams but it will pull us into becoming elitists and refusing to assisting new players to the Overwatch community. IE We'll only play with you if you are this good. By the way good luck proving that to us in this system.
Seen this way too many times and it has either reduced that mode or killed it off all together. Love the game and this is not a future any of us who care about OW want to see.

Competitive Play does have the potential to be fun and at times it is but not in it's first incarnation. It needs work as any first gens do.

As it stands right now I'm seriously thinking of recommending to friends to not play this mode and warn other players away from it. The toxicity is already setting in with elitists, spammers, and people attempting to abuse the reporting system. Also because of the way the system punishes you for losses this feels like the other power grinds we've experienced in WoW PvP in the past.
Ok so we don't get gold cosmetics. We can live with that for now.
Once changes are implemented to CP I think it'll get better. Blizzard at the very least is always working to improve their games. That's no small undertaking and they should be recognized for that. We've all experienced games where the devs ignored the community or just outright didn't care. Thankfully that's not Blizzard.

I play Blizzard games to relax and enjoy with friends so we have some cool and fun memories to talk about. We also play them because the community is a great one. It is not League of Legends, Counter Strike, or Call of Duty whose communities are so toxic they're a punchline within the gaming community. The latter two specifically within the FPS community.
Yes there will always be toxic elements within gaming but that doesn't mean you have to give up and passively condone that unacceptable behavior. The development team has been pretty good about staying on top of things and listening to the community so I have confidence they're aware of the situation and are working on solutions. This will take time.

Now the ball is in their court. They've been communicating with the OW/Blizzard community while trying to make a great game and maintain a great community.

Keep up the great work OW dev team. Really do love Overwatch and can't wait to see where the game goes in the future =^^=
07/01/2016 04:01 PMPosted by Aegrias
07/01/2016 03:06 PMPosted by FunZy
I totally feel author of the post, i am experiencing the same thing, started at 47 im 39 now, im just counting one loss after another. To be honest i think ranked play isnt for this type of game, but since they added it, it should have some other kinds of requirements, like not being able to queue for competitive without mic connected or some other stuff.

My story is similar to yours, I started at 46 and climbed up to 51 hung there for a bit and then I started getting matched with dullards and people who genuinely seemed like they started the game 2 days ago but were placed high.
I have now lost every single match save for 3 and plummeted down to 39.... That is basically one solid day of plummeting with no wins.
The lower you get the worse the teams get, and now i am being paired with rank 24-32 me being the highest.
I pretty much have given up and stopped playing to win and am going to see how far I can tank it.

Seems far more possible to hit zero than it is to climb up more than one rank at the bottom of the barrel. Blizzard straight up !@#$ed up after all the beta and a delay.

Should have seen this coming after WoW and HotS.

Your stats seem really bad though. There aren't any heroes you are playing that can really carry that you play at a high enough level to rank up?