My first Competitive Game Experience

General Discussion
Just wanted to share my experience of my first game in Competitive Mode!

After getting hyped for ranked to finally drop, I log in and start my first game. First impressions are awesome, I like how it shows premades and the ranking of each person with easy access to other information within the UI.

We attack Anubis and take both points within 5 minutes. Pretty good steamroll we were on and I was pleased especially because I was playing solo and teamwork can be lacking outside of premades with friends.

Now the fun begins. We switch sides and immediately 2 people leave the game. Seemed like a DC and also at this time there are DDos attacks going on apparently. I'm Immediately notified that someone has left and I am able to leave without penalty, but with a loss.

In my first placement game..
I stay in for a minute and hope that they rejoin (Is that even a thing?), but 4 vs 6 the enemy team had no mercy on us and quickly captured point A. The rest of my team soon realizes we have no chance and then also leave the game. This leaves me 1v6 while getting trolled by enemy team in chat.

I'm extremely disappointed that this how my first game played out after waiting weeks to participate in ranked mode. I assume I am 0-1 in my placements now. I know blizzard is working to better the game as time goes on, but I now don't even want to play until my friends are off work and we can form a 6man group.

Something seems wrong to me when I think of that last statement, because this game should be just as fun and rewarding for solo players as well as groups up to 6. I understand that you are going to enjoy higher rates of success and less frustrations when playing with friends/premades , but sometimes not everyone is online at the same time.

I just wanted to share this to shed light on what could be happening to a lot of other players and this type of system could really frustrate players and skew ranks. More so I am just venting and also putting it out there so if other players see this and want to chime in on similar experiences, I'm sure blizzard could find use in feedback of any kind.

So there it is! I now debate playing QM because i would hate for this to happen a 2nd time or more during my placements.
Just keep playing and if you get placed lower than your actual skill level because of disconnects from placement games than you will climb up eventually if you just keep playing
My first competitive game experience:
We pulled a close first win in overtime on Ilios. Then pulled a close, but less close, second win. Two people on my team immediately left when it did the slow motion to show the match ending, proceeded to lose 2-3 because they thought it was a best of three.
I am 0-3 in my placements because teammates say "If we lose we'll get put in lower ranks and get gold weapons for ranking up fast".

I am disappointed by this game.
I don't think you should be playing competitive until the ddos attacks are over. Also until all of these trolls get placed in their proper ranking.
06/28/2016 05:28 PMPosted by BabyJohn
Just keep playing and if you get placed lower than your actual skill level because of disconnects from placement games than you will climb up eventually if you just keep playing

I see what you are saying.. but that is such an awful outlook on this situation. MMR can also be skewed and these games you're "climbing" thru to get back to where you were will also include more stress because your teammates could be less experienced. And to top it all off, these types of losses can still be occurring especially with low elo players more likely to leave games to begin with.
06/28/2016 05:29 PMPosted by Mudou
I am 0-3 in my placements because teammates say "If we lose we'll get put in lower ranks and get gold weapons for ranking up fast".

I am disappointed by this game.

Just, wow. That is terrible.
First of all, they didn't adjust the hero pick limitation....so everyone can pick the same hero if they want and you can't do anything about it.

Second, if a player leaves you're pretty much boned since there won't be a refill of the slot, so expect alot of trollers, afk'ers.

And even though level doesn't mean skill....when you get level 25's or 30's (some even 80's) picking up S76 in Ilios and instead of going to the objective he spammed rockets on the doorways the entire match.....getting pharah's that play 95% of their time in the ground and even that widow pick attacking the last objective of Route:66 with the enemy team rolling genji, roadhog and reaper is just too much to understand.

Im a widow "main" and im aware that are situations/maps that a sniper isn't going to help the team, people don't want to adapt and they stick with the same hero even if they are getting hard countered or performing poorly with it.

Im at this time 2-2 on my placement matches.....experience? Bad...if it wasn't polished yet it should've stayed in the PTR for tweaking.
I'm already getting the 3rd degree from people about so-called "meta", sigh. Yeah, rage quitters, leavers, verbal abusers, and it hasn't even been 10 matches yet. My experiences so far are not so good.
Every match, 3-0 0-3 so far.

Probably will be like for 90% of the first 100 games.
For those who don't play League or Dota....this is how it is at the start of a season. Especially the first one ever.

Eventually people will get assigned MMRs and all the true scrubs will move to the bottom.
06/28/2016 05:25 PMPosted by HuggyBear
Just wanted to share my experience of my first game in Competitive Mode!

After getting hyped for ranked to finally drop, I log in and start my first game. First impressions are awesome, I like how it shows premades and the ranking of each person with easy access to other information within the UI.

We attack Anubis and take both points within 5 minutes. Pretty good steamroll we were on and I was pleased especially because I was playing solo and teamwork can be lacking outside of premades with friends.

Now the fun begins. We switch sides and immediately 2 people leave the game. Seemed like a DC and also at this time there are DDos attacks going on apparently. I'm Immediately notified that someone has left and I am able to leave without penalty, but with a loss.

In my first placement game..
I stay in for a minute and hope that they rejoin (Is that even a thing?), but 4 vs 6 the enemy team had no mercy on us and quickly captured point A. The rest of my team soon realizes we have no chance and then also leave the game. This leaves me 1v6 while getting trolled by enemy team in chat.

I'm extremely disappointed that this how my first game played out after waiting weeks to participate in ranked mode. I assume I am 0-1 in my placements now. I know blizzard is working to better the game as time goes on, but I now don't even want to play until my friends are off work and we can form a 6man group.

Something seems wrong to me when I think of that last statement, because this game should be just as fun and rewarding for solo players as well as groups up to 6. I understand that you are going to enjoy higher rates of success and less frustrations when playing with friends/premades , but sometimes not everyone is online at the same time.

I just wanted to share this to shed light on what could be happening to a lot of other players and this type of system could really frustrate players and skew ranks. More so I am just venting and also putting it out there so if other players see this and want to chime in on similar experiences, I'm sure blizzard could find use in feedback of any kind.

So there it is! I now debate playing QM because i would hate for this to happen a 2nd time or more during my placements.

Thanks for sharing (did I just make it sound like we were members of some sort of therapy group?) Anyways seriously, I also admire the way you posted it, cool and collected. This is the kind of post that gets taken seriously. Thumbs up!
My first:
We went 2-0 rounds
one of the allies leaves
two more allies leave
now i get to choose between 20 minutes of xp or no rank penalty
i choose no rank penalty
my rank is penalized anyway, as my placements are now 0/1

and the presence of competitive rewards means i have to go back to that game mode despite my awful experience
My 1st 3/4 games have ended like this " A teammate has left, you may leave the game without penalty but with a loss "
I like how I am a level 25 player who manages to consistently get gold medals and do well, but at the end if we lose my team spams "got stuck with a lvl 25 gg"
06/28/2016 06:06 PMPosted by Osi
First of all, they didn't adjust the hero pick limitation....so everyone can pick the same hero if they want and you can't do anything about it.

Second, if a player leaves you're pretty much boned since there won't be a refill of the slot, so expect alot of trollers, afk'ers.

And even though level doesn't mean skill....when you get level 25's or 30's (some even 80's) picking up S76 in Ilios and instead of going to the objective he spammed rockets on the doorways the entire match.....getting pharah's that play 95% of their time in the ground and even that widow pick attacking the last objective of Route:66 with the enemy team rolling genji, roadhog and reaper is just too much to understand.

Im a widow "main" and im aware that are situations/maps that a sniper isn't going to help the team, people don't want to adapt and they stick with the same hero even if they are getting hard countered or performing poorly with it.

Im at this time 2-2 on my placement matches.....experience? Bad...if it wasn't polished yet it should've stayed in the PTR for tweaking.

I play enough, not like crazy, and I am borderline mediocre, but I do want to learn the proper meta's and who plays best on what map, so I can contribute.

I won't ask someone to tell me either, I would rather learn from a website. I am sure there are some I could google, but I was hoping to take a shortcut and get your opinions on what the best ones are? Maybe would be a good idea if people were to start a list and rank it or something.

At least the guys/gals like me have the opportunity to learn and invest our own time and not someone elses into actually learning the game on a different level.. I already use aimbot ahemmmm I meant aimbooster!!! (total edit) at work during downtime.

If there is something like this already on the forum I will hang my head in shame while I am pointed in the right direction :)
I saw some bot posts earlier, basically joining comp as a bot that's set like quick play, so they quit after the "best out of 3" game area, instead of playing the extended 5.

Keep an eye on players like that, if they are leavin at "best of 3" (win 2, quit) they might be botting it.
06/28/2016 06:27 PMPosted by GreenSage
For those who don't play League or Dota....this is how it is at the start of a season. Especially the first one ever.

Eventually people will get assigned MMRs and all the true scrubs will move to the bottom.

Scrubs meaning non-premades.
06/28/2016 06:31 PMPosted by StupidSavant
I like how I am a level 25 player who manages to consistently get gold medals and do well, but at the end if we lose my team spams "got stuck with a lvl 25 gg"

I love how these scrubs think level matters, when all it really is, is a measure of how many games a player has done. Finish a match = get exp, doesn't matter how "good" or "bad" you were, as long as you did stuff. Tried to kill, healed, set up defenses, whatever.

level 200 and 300 + have had no life. Only playing Overwatch, probably in group mode for boosted exp. I've out done plenty of higher levels that talked a lot of toxic trash in chat, and then sprayed my logo right on their corpse to boot.
06/28/2016 06:30 PMPosted by chickenchasr
My first:
We went 2-0 rounds
one of the allies leaves
two more allies leave
now i get to choose between 20 minutes of xp or no rank penalty
i choose no rank penalty
my rank is penalized anyway, as my placements are now 0/1

and the presence of competitive rewards means i have to go back to that game mode despite my awful experience

This is exactly how I felt. " NO penalty" ...Really? Because I just got a loss stamped to my name and my hero stats skewed as well because we got !@#$ on in a 4v6 . You're basically telling people to leave the game, you already lost, which is the worst implement I have ever seen in any game PERIOD.