5 Reasons why Overwatch ranked is currently broken

Competitive Discussion
1 2 3 14 Next
Highly Rated
Hello, so I made this post on EU Forums, but since those posts wont reach developers, I wanted to make the same post here... My original post got very popular on EU's forums, and got over 100 upvotes in few days, original post is here: http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17612232451?page=1

So I'll explain everything what I think is broken and should be fixed. 5 Reasons why I won't be playing Overwatch ranked (at least until these will get resolved/fixed).

I have been enjoying Overwatch as a game, and I have around 70-100 ranked games played so this isn't just some frustration after few losses. No, this is actually after I won games but didn't get rewarded because leavers in enemy team. Higher ranks don't have this problem, so I'm probably getting a lot of down votes only because of that, but I'll explain everything anyway. I'm CLIMBING UP, but I still believe the system is extremely broken.

So what is broken right now:

1. If enemy leaves after they are getting wrecked, you don't get full win, instead you get 1/15 rank up (Like, you win first round and someone leaves, it doesn't count as full win). You shouldn't get punished for winning the game too hard. Why do you get punished for winning too hard so someone ragequits or even if they just dc?

2. If someone leaves from your team, and you manage to win 5v6, YOU STILL ONLY GET 1/15 rank up because that game is counted as "canceled". I have won 2x games 5v6, which is already super hard and then I don't get rewarded at all for it, only 1/15 rank up from both of them.

3. If someone leaves from your team, everyone in your team get a message "You can leave without penalty now, but you still get a loss" which kinda makes everyone think they don't lose ranks, but get a loss in statistics.
You usually never get to play 5v6, instead if someone quits, everyone in your team will quit because they think they don't get rank penalties. The wording of that message must be changed, or even better no message at all and let people try to play 5v6 (And let them get full win if they win 5v6, not this !@#$ing 1/15 rank bull%^-*).

4. Leavers don't get punished at all unless they leave a lot. You can freely leave game or two without any punishment, so if your enemies are !@#$%^-s or your team has *!@#$%^s, you can punish them by leaving and without losing anything yourselves.
Is there anyone that got punished after leaving many games, and how btw?

5. If you DC or afk and get kicked from the ranked game, you can't get win anymore, even if you win you still get a loss. I have afked in 2x games at start of the round and getting kicked and instantly rejoining (only missing like 10 second of game, and then playing another 5-10 minutes and won, only to get a loss while my teammates get win). I was grouped in both of my games I got afk kicked, and both of those I won and got a loss and downrank when my teammates got rankup. So if you dc or get afk kicked, you might just as well just not join the game at all because you get loss no matter what. I don't think this works as intended at all, and blizzard should fix it soon.

So how blizzard handles leaving in this game is totally broken in ranked... If I win 5 games and enemy leaves in those 5 games, I don't get full win from those 5 games. But if I lose 5 games when someone in my team quits, I get 5x full losses. I don't think it's supposed to work like this and it should be fixed ASAP.

I know there are people that don't believe Blizzard -*!@ed this up, you were the lucky ones to get high enough so leavers are much much more rare, or you haven't played enough.

I also know how #$%^ed up it sounds, but this is 100% true and I don't understand how it got out from beta in the first place. You will find a lot of forum posts having these same conclusions I have made and it's really breaking the game. You don't have to believe me straight away, just look for evidence other people have already posted and you might believe me as well.

I also win more than I lose, but with the current broken system it's really hard to climb up unless you have no leavers in any of your games. Which usually isn't an issue at higher ranks, people are a lot less frustrated when playing with people that know what they are doing. Some of you will be down-voting this only because it has not happened to you, and you are able to play on your own level and think the system cannot be broken.

To prove that I'm actually carrying more than my weight, I decided to take 10 games in a row playing soldier only, and keep statistics from all of my games. This is basically just to prove you that I am climbing, but I still believe the system is really broken. Here is the statistics of those 10 games, 2 games had leavers, 1 in enemy, 1 in my own team. Playing around 50 rank~, so I'm playing with average level of skill.
Here is the picture I made, it's huge so you have to zoom it to see anything. https://postimg.org/image/cgmmlos1z/

No QQ. This is a great game, but these are big problems. I just don't feel like it's worth it with the current system.

Please don't just downvote my post if you don't agree, I want answers from blizzard employee if they know about these issues and are working on solving them.
Highly Rated
You forgot that supports are second class citizens when it comes to ranking metrics :p

Ive actually stopped playing support (the class I enjoy the most, because of it).
07/04/2016 04:48 PMPosted by Powercage
You forgot that supports are second class citizens when it comes to ranking metrics :p

Ive actually stopped playing support (the class I enjoy the most, because of it).

I dunno about that, it's just support has no competition in game so it feels like you might be doing really well when you weren't.

My friend is 70 rank and he only plays mercy, like top 250 of the world with that rank atm.

But maybe you are right, just not including it in my list.
Just a few bits.

There is a penalty for leaving ranked. You get a queue lockout that starts at 15 minutes and the more times you leave it eventually bans the player from every queuing in ranked again for the remainder of the season.

A loss of a game should be self explanatory. A loss means loss of rating. No penalty means you wont get the lockout queue if you leave that game.
07/04/2016 05:45 PMPosted by Dragonmaster
Just a few bits.

There is a penalty for leaving ranked. You get a queue lockout that starts at 15 minutes and the more times you leave it eventually bans the player from every queuing in ranked again for the remainder of the season.

A loss of a game should be self explanatory. A loss means loss of rating. No penalty means you wont get the lockout queue if you leave that game.

It should be self-explanatory, but for most people it isn't. Therefore it needs to be clarified.
Good points, well said
07/04/2016 05:09 PMPosted by Saali
07/04/2016 04:48 PMPosted by Powercage

I dunno about that, it's just support has no competition in game so it feels like you might be doing really well when you weren't.

My friend is 70 rank and he only plays mercy, like top 250 of the world with that rank atm.

But maybe you are right, just not including it in my list.
Check out Cloud9s Mercy comments about it

Really efficient teams for instance could essentially hurt their Mercys ranking
You can't punish someone after one or two leaves. There are disconnects in the world. The internet isn't perfect.

But there needs to be a stern penalty when it's happening multiple times over and over.
I dont think there should be any message at all.

People can still play 5v6 and even win. Instead of telling everyone "okay one left, get the !@#$ out", it should try to keep remaining players inside even it's unfair.

And definetly give them normal amount of points if they manage to win 5v6. Even the 6v5 should give them normal amount of points unlike it is doing right now. That 1/10 or 1/15 system they currently have for every leaver game, is stupid.
Bump! Anyone knows blue posts about these issues?
We have some improvements coming that should address some of the "Leaver" issues. We should be able to get some in this week and more are coming later on.
Highly Rated
07/05/2016 08:36 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We have some improvements coming that should address some of the "Leaver" issues. We should be able to get some in this week and more are coming later on.

Thank you very much. It's been a long, silent week-end. This is what we need.
Backfilling?

Great to hear. Thanks!
07/05/2016 08:39 AMPosted by Squashington
Backfilling?

There are issues with backfilling in comp, especially if people queue up as a group.
The only reason it's broken is because your personal skill is not valued.

I'm stuck at 50 rank when I belong in the very top because random people are horrible and cause my teams to loose :(

Can't carry 1vs6

You're the man.
07/05/2016 08:44 AMPosted by Shamx
07/05/2016 08:39 AMPosted by Squashington
Backfilling?

There are issues with backfilling in comp, especially if people queue up as a group.

There are solutions to said issues.

Good morning, how was the vacations?
Highly Rated

Jeff, if I may:

Please improve the reconnect feature, people should be able to rejoin in a relatively small amount of time and still be able to fight for a win.

Otherwise there is no incentive to rejoin a game.