What's the word on Zenyatta?

General Discussion
1 2 3 17 Next
Highly Rated
What's your and your teams opinion on him?
I would love to get some feedback on this as well.

How's his win % look? Popularity?

Back in beta the changes to his orbs were noted as being experimental. There's been no changes since so can we assume you're happy with him as is?
Zenyatta is going to be hard to balance but imo a good change would be when an ally champ has orb, put a slight regen on Zenyatta and have enemy orb reduce damage from that specific target.
We've been talking about him. We wanted to see how the Widowmaker and McCree balance changes played out before making any changes. We're exploring some options right now. Nothing more to report at this time.
Highly Rated
cough
when ally orb'd, slight regen on zenyatta
when enemy orb'd SLIGHTLY reduce incoming damage from that target

there, fixed
He's really good in quick play. That damage debuff is nothing to sneeze at.

On the flip side I think he isn't used AT ALL on competitive despite the Widow nerfs.

I'm glad I'm not the one trying to figure out balance, crap's hard.
I like this post. It's not some big high handed diatribe about zenyatta. Just a question, and posed neutrally. I am not an expert player, and I could be totally wrong. I think his healy orb should stay stuck on whomever without line of sight, I dunno about discord. I think him being able to "mark" a target is good, but that debuff does a lot of damage.
06/28/2016 04:22 PMPosted by NoxeOut
Zenyatta is going to be hard to balance. I think he's fine. Why? Because if you're actually good with him, you can easily carry games. Good Zenyatta players are so damn scary. They can't buff him because he will become OP in the right hands. Maybe have his healing orb disappear after 5 seconds of not seeing the champion and leave other orb at 3 seconds?

Darn right we are. :D
06/28/2016 04:33 PMPosted by Doncroft
06/28/2016 04:22 PMPosted by NoxeOut
Zenyatta is going to be hard to balance. I think he's fine. Why? Because if you're actually good with him, you can easily carry games. Good Zenyatta players are so damn scary. They can't buff him because he will become OP in the right hands. Maybe have his healing orb disappear after 5 seconds of not seeing the champion and leave other orb at 3 seconds?

Darn right we are. :D

All 0 of them

Seriously, there isnt a single Zen in high level games.
06/28/2016 04:29 PMPosted by notsleeping
cough

there, fixed

I've mentioned this before, too. My second idea was slightly different.

Discord is already a formidable ability, if Zen and the team capitalizes on it.

My two suggestions would be as follows:

1.) A percentage of the healing done by Harmony is returned to Zenyatta.

2.) A percentage of the damage done to targets marked with Discord is returned to Zenyatta as healing. --

The idea of these is that Zenyatta is still a support, and even though some people have mentioned him being able to Harmony himself, that would make him much too self-reliant/sustaining.

Honestly, I like the concept of Discord becoming a priority for teammates to help keep their support alive, while still giving a very deadly health debuff. I don't think that'd ever go live, and I'm sure there's more issues in actuality than just me brainstorming it out. Still, I think it'd be fun!

Edit: Full Disclosure, I've never played him - so my ideas are only that and nothing more - ideas.
Make him an anti-healer, damage buffer, support.
06/28/2016 04:28 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We've been talking about him. We wanted to see how the Widowmaker and McCree balance changes played out before making any changes. We're exploring some options right now. Nothing more to report at this time.

As long as you have Mercy's ult in the game as it currently is, Zenyatta will never be a viable alternative to her as a healer / support, just a fyi.
06/28/2016 04:28 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Simple replies like this give the feeling that the topics we're discussing on here and places like reddit aren't falling on deaf ears. Thanks!
06/28/2016 04:32 PMPosted by Forinax
I like this post. It's not some big high handed diatribe about zenyatta. Just a question, and posed neutrally. I am not an expert player, and I could be totally wrong. I think his healy orb should stay stuck on whomever without line of sight, I dunno about discord. I think him being able to "mark" a target is good, but that debuff does a lot of damage.

It's removed when out of line of sight to encourage the zenyatta to expose himself
06/28/2016 04:55 PMPosted by Hexs

It's removed when out of line of sight to encourage the zenyatta to expose himself

So he dies immediately because of his nerfed health.

He needs to be a priority, as he is currently the only hero that decent or above players will actively yell at you to switch off and he has a 0% competitive pick.

I know they nerfed the orbs from beta, but they were obviously too much.
Just a bit of feedback on issues Zen is facing compared to Lucio and Mercy that is limiting his pick play. Although I trust you Jeff and your team to figure out what needs to be done.

1. Lucio and Mercy have a way to sustain there whole health. Lucio with his healing aura/boost and Mercy with her passive (which is practically like she has all shield health). Zenyatta can only regen 66% of his health with shield.

2. Lucio and Mercy have mobility to assist them in survivability. Lucio with speed aura/boost plus wall surfing and Mercy with Guardian Angel. Zenyatta is left with his natural speed.

3. Lucio and Mercy both have 200 health. Zenyatta has 50 with 100 shield which can even get him OHKO by a Pharah rocket that is boosted by Mercy.

4. Lucio and Mercy have better healing. Mercy with her 50hps on a single target and Lucio with his healing aura stacking hps and boost. Zenyatta is single target with 30hps. This can still be fine since Zenyatta brings more to the table with his DPS. If it were to be buffed, I would only do 5hps.

Aside from those factors the one thing Zen does have going for him is his DPS. With some adjustment to bring him to Mercy and Lucio's level, he could easily become the offensive support. I really do hope he does get buffed, cause I really enjoy playing Zen when I am support, but realize that he feels limited when playing for the team.

But he doesn't have the survivability to remain exposed, nor the speed to keep up with orbed ppl. He's such a confusing character.
Let's not forget that hit hitbox is actually akwardly large compared to Lucio and mercy. His hitbox bows outward in his mid-section (harder to dodge bullets left to right). Couple that with being the slowest of the three healers and having the worst raw healing output and you have yourself an unused hero.

If discord orb is what's holding him back from getting more health, more healing or better Los on his orb then just Nerf it already. Nobody is looking to healers to be a tank buster. If he gives a little damage on top then that's fine, but right now he's barely a healer because to heal in this game you need to be IN the fight. Mercy has flight on a 2 second cd. Lucio heals 6% of his own health every second WITHOUT popping a cd. Zen has nothing but his own ulti to keep himself up.

Long story short, against a team that lands their shots, Zenyatta is far too helpless to fill his role as tankbusting/anti flanker/off healer. He needs help.
06/28/2016 05:02 PMPosted by Kaal

But he doesn't have the survivability to remain exposed, nor the speed to keep up with orbed ppl. He's such a confusing character.

This is why i feel his healy orb should stick. He doesn't heal so much that the person it's on becomes invincible. Heck it doesn't even heal that fast, it takes like 20 seconds to heal reinhardt from 1/4. He is super squish but because of his potential damage and usefulness at all ranges I feel that is needed. Simultaneously, him being allowed to take cover is fine since he can't do arced shots or anything like that, he can only hit line of sight.

The only thing that is too much is the debuff orb staying on the person. Also, even if the zenyatta was not the squishiest champ in the game he can't keep up with anyone besides roadhog.
06/28/2016 04:29 PMPosted by notsleeping
cough

there, fixed
He already regens all the time. He's almost entirely shields.

You'd have to define 'SLIGHTLY' for your second point. Though in my experience (my terrible, terrible experience as Zenyatta--I'm awful with him), it's the enemies you don't see that destroy you. Not the ones you discord orb. Those ones usually just die.