We need a blue post on KOTH issue in ranked

General Discussion
Prev 1 22 23 24 Next
06/30/2016 08:16 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Scott Mercer actually talked about this yesterday:

06/28/2016 03:03 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
There are legitimate reasons for the magnitude of skill rating change to vary on a match per match basis, but we did get the feedback so we're investigating to see if there's a consistent bias or simply an error on Control maps (Ilios, Nepal, Lijiang Tower). If we can identify it, we'll then work to address it quickly.

Last night, though, we uncovered a bug that is causing skill rating to not be adjusted properly in our Control Maps (Nepal, Lijiang Tower, Ilios). This bug is a top priority right now and we're hoping to have a fix ASAP.

Jeff.. you're the man, but you DO realize this bug was pointed out DAY 1 OF THE PTR right?
07/01/2016 12:31 AMPosted by Reaper
It was a bug and they fixed it. It did not hinder your ability to play the game in the least. If you won, you won, if you lost, you lost. In no way did it change the outcome of any battles. You will not get any compensation for anything because you did not lose anything.

In any (decent) I.T. company, if the bug generated broken profiles either:
* delete wrong profiles
* recalculate them all.

that's all they need to say about ./

when you play a map that can %!%!*!#@ you off a full lvl or give you 0.10cm of xp compare to other map that "behave" correctly. imo, this is preventing me to play the game as it should be played.
07/01/2016 03:51 AMPosted by huluvu
Would it really be too much to ask for blizzard to offer a one time reset for affected players? Just make it time-limited and only useable once, so people that are ranked far too low don’t have to grind themselves up to their proper mmr through tens or hundreds of bad games.

Blizzard knew about this problem, chose to ignore it (to keep the june deadline I suppose) and is now even pretending that it’s not an issue at all (zero sum argument and all).

Being able to afford to ignore customer’s issues, just because the affected player base is small, doesn’t mean that you should do it.

Also, I’m happy for all the mostly unaffected players, but I’d still be glad if you didn’t dismiss this issue just because you weren’t affected personally.
I would estimate that 60-65% of my season games have been KotH. I would be ok if they fixed the issue with KotH and then wiped out the results of all KotH matches win or lose.

I do not feel like I am better than other players but this giant loss to minuscule win ranking results make me feel like I am worse than most players. I can watch my rank go up and down in about the same amounts on Hybrid and Payload maps but I have lost many ranking points to KotH and have gained less than a ranking from the wins. To say that I am frustrated is an understatement. I want to play competitive but I don't want to lose more ranking that I will have to claw back because of this issue.
07/01/2016 04:01 AMPosted by M1sterX
07/01/2016 03:40 AMPosted by Korrigan
...Apparently, they are supposed to have fixed it, but reports say it's still broken...
And they haven't reset the season either.

So you haven't even played after the patch but continue to complain....?
Dunno what stat site you use, but it is wrong. Or have you just pulled that out of your a$$ ?
Is that "bug" a possible reason for my rk46 as I finished my 10 placement match with 7W and 3D ? Even some of my friends doing 3W / 7L did not get such initial ranking :D.

As I was on 5 KOTH and won each of theim during my 10 placement games ?

I really don't care but since my initial rk46 has been shown to all my friends and familly :
- They delete me from their buddies list
- My parents diswoned me
- My sister says we does not share the same blood
- My wife left me for a rk53 (and of course younger)player
- My 5 years old daughter walk across the street when I bring her to school. (And she wears a T-shirt on which it's written " My father is not a rk46 player")

Plz Jeff can you do anything to help me ? :D.
07/01/2016 06:27 AMPosted by Largo
07/01/2016 03:51 AMPosted by huluvu
Would it really be too much to ask for blizzard to offer a one time reset for affected players? Just make it time-limited and only useable once, so people that are ranked far too low don’t have to grind themselves up to their proper mmr through tens or hundreds of bad games.

Blizzard knew about this problem, chose to ignore it (to keep the june deadline I suppose) and is now even pretending that it’s not an issue at all (zero sum argument and all).

Being able to afford to ignore customer’s issues, just because the affected player base is small, doesn’t mean that you should do it.

Also, I’m happy for all the mostly unaffected players, but I’d still be glad if you didn’t dismiss this issue just because you weren’t affected personally.
I would estimate that 60-65% of my season games have been KotH. I would be ok if they fixed the issue with KotH and then wiped out the results of all KotH matches win or lose.

I do not feel like I am better than other players but this giant loss to minuscule win ranking results make me feel like I am worse than most players. I can watch my rank go up and down in about the same amounts on Hybrid and Payload maps but I have lost many ranking points to KotH and have gained less than a ranking from the wins. To say that I am frustrated is an understatement. I want to play competitive but I don't want to lose more ranking that I will have to claw back because of this issue.

It's not a Rank, it's your match making rating. Everyone was affected by the same bug, meaning everyone lost potential points, meaning it's still fair and we don't need to flip the table with Season 1.
I really think players doing 5 or more of their 10 placement games are more affected than players doing 2 or event less of their 10 placement games.

Even more if those 2 or less games are lost and those 5 or more games are victories

Btw i don't I don't ask for anything I just wanted to know why ;).
Where is fix?
06/30/2016 05:47 AMPosted by MathIsHard
Yea I went 4-2 last night and stayed at the same rating. 2 of the games were on KoTH maps.

Losing feels very penalizing while winning feels unrewarding currently.

+1
This is exactly it. Discouraging.
07/01/2016 07:10 AMPosted by Hwk5
Where is fix?

It should be fixed. You can still get slivers of "XP" for winning a match because of how MMR works (it's your MMR, not a Rank) but it shouldn't be a consistent bug on KotH maps anymore.
07/01/2016 12:31 AMPosted by Reaper
It was a bug and they fixed it. It did not hinder your ability to play the game in the least. If you won, you won, if you lost, you lost. In no way did it change the outcome of any battles. You will not get any compensation for anything because you did not lose anything.

By the way having an initial RK, bias by 5 win on KOTH + 2 win on normal map and 3 lost on "normal" map does not make people, easily want to play ranked anymore. And the same when it happens during the few first games after initial placement.

This bug "having" 0 sum consequence does not mean it does not have consistent impact on each individual on "short" period.

What is the purpose of a competitive environment if it is completly falsed, this is not "competitive" this is lottery environment, depending on how much you will roll KOTH win or not.
Guys, the fix already works?
Lost 4 games, no matter which map, always lost an entire Skill Rating :(
Until all the issues are fixed competitive play isn't worth playing. play 4 games 3 KoTH 1 payload i win the KOTH's but lose the payload and i derank a full level. my friend disconnects gets back in within the allotted time and our team is still stricken with a "loss" even though we win the match so we get deranked. to post from the commpettive play post by blizzard : As you compete, your rating will increase or decrease with each win or loss based on a number of factors, including your own performance and the skill of the other players in the match. Why is it that my own personal skill rating is affected by my team and what does that even mean? if i get gold medal for all fields but the average player on the map get's a mix of silver and bronze does my rating get negatively effected? why can't it be something along the lines win/losses count for 60% of your ranks gain or loss and the rest is divided between medal's earned such as all bronze medal's positive gain of 5% / silver 15%/ golds 25% and let the final 15% be affected by the overall team. this way teamwork is still required but if you play well personally you still get rewarded im not saying you should go up a rank even if you lose why i said the matches are 60% of the gain/loss but someone who play's really well (3-4 gold's) shouldn't get deranked the same as someone who played poorly (mix of bronze/silver).
this way of calculation is just broken .|

if win means +1 and lost -1, this is just against any principle of team play.

People wont play with friends less good than them afraid to loose some rank in the process and take 5h to get those backs.

rank should be imo based on following:

* win or not
* straight win/loose or sudden death
* play of the game
* number of gold
* number of silver
* number of bronze

algo this and give a xp for rank. is that so complicated for such a huge company to put in place?
you records all the statistics, even how much time we fire and you can't put that up?

that joke
I was doing a great job in a competative match, I had gold everything except healing, and I got disconnected by Blizzards (no offense) terrible servers. I rejoined in about 30 seconds. I kept playing and got 17 more kills. My team won, I still did the best, and for some reason it counted as a loss. I was so pissed off after seeing this. This NEEDS to be fixed, because if it happens more often, people will just stop rejoining knowing that all there effort will be in vain, having a full team is VERY important, so if one person leaves, the team is almost sure to lose, so Blizzard, please make changing this one of your top priorities.s
So even though the xp for wins is broken they still meant for you to lose over a level for every loss?
Given this bug makes feel pretty damn lucky to still be at 51 at the moment, but would explain how I went 7-3 in prelim and somehow only got 51 even against strong teams.

Thanks Jeff.

Any info if you have the tools to retroactively recalculate all rankings or should we hold off competitive mode until the fix is in?

Or are you planing to reset ranks for everyone? Although that would seem fair overall, it might upset a few high rankers.

No plans to reset skill rating. Basically, very little skill rating adjustment is happening in either direction. It's a zero-sum bug. The skill rating system is entirely player-relative. This is a bug that affects everyone equally. Your losses on Control maps are also not being adjusted as much as they should... The bottom line is Control maps aren't really adjusting players in either direction as much as they should. On the bright side, wins still yield competitive points...

The fix will be live soon OR we will disable the Control maps.

Good morning. Overwatch those developers, I really love the Overwatch indeyo regular users. I'll just say a dagger entry ever. If you win the battle with 7 wins and three losses in the rest of the camp freight, wondering why no compensation of any Hebrews. If there was a bug fix, thank you for coming up with parts one, think it is sufficient if the aforementioned need to discuss. If the game ends, no matter how fast the time has're only a quick scramble on the assumption that ends quickly than if freight and similar cases ended by overwhelming ability, the time is almost 3-7 minutes will be much difference. It is an overwhelming case that catches the matching end of the Team is to admit that one is unstable, and eventually even matching hers is not fair. If you go similarly cargo if time is something almost no difference. League of Legends, but the system that existed like mmr hope to convince users to get to the results.
Thanks D.J. Jazzy Kaplan.