PTR - Initial Competitive Play Feedback

General Discussion
Hey everybody! I'm nearly finished with my placement matches on the PTR, and wanted to share some feedback from my early experience with Competitive Play.

I apologize for the odd format - I copied this over from a Keep note.

Awesome: Absolutely epic music on match found/map travel!

Request: The match found/map travel music, while awesome, drops off suddenly and anticlimactically during hero select. It would be great if this music played longer, with no sudden drop-off. Maybe it could last through hero select and possibly fade away at the beginning of the setup period.

Awesome: Golden gun system. They look great, and while 300 CP seems like a lot it's probably a good bar for the first major rewards.

Request: Unclear win conditions make matches confusing. There are points involved, but they don't always mean victory... (one of my matches went 2/2 on Gibraltar, yet we received a defeat with no sudden death or anything) this makes match results difficult to understand at face value. Please clarify this somewhere (perhaps an info button on the hero select screen).

Awesome: Team display on match found. This looks and feels pretty epic (the music adds to it), and displays great information.

Request: Slightly longer team display at beginning. It's frustrating trying to digest the information presented when a match is found, only to get a couple of stats before being thrown into hero select.

Hopefully that's helpful, mostly from a UX perspective. It seems like a pretty solid system at it's core, with some truly great ideas behind it and some sweet visuals - it just feels like a bit more user experience polish would take it to a world-class level of awesome.
Wait, so you won twice and still got defeat? That's an uhhh interesting way to do competitive Blizzard.
We didn't win twice - they scored 2 points, then we scored 2 points, then it gave us a defeat.
06/23/2016 08:13 PMPosted by ajcdrift
We didn't win twice - they scored 2 points, then we scored 2 points, then it gave us a defeat.

Oh shoot, apologies.
I haven't played competitive (why I decided to read your post.) so I just assumed it was like quick play but with ranks and stuff. What are these points? I thought when you said 2/2 you meant round 1 and round 2.
No worries =)
Most (if not all) of the maps now use points to signify capture points, control points, and checkpoints.
I.E. If a team takes a point when attacking, they score one point. If they hit the second checkpoint with a payload, they score 2.

This is exactly what I mean with that second request above. The competitive version of play is very different, with no in-game instruction/reference/indication of the differences. Because of this I sometimes find it difficult to understand what the win-cons are and why I won or lost a given battle.
06/23/2016 07:29 PMPosted by ajcdrift
Hey everybody! I'm nearly finished with my placement matches on the PTR, and wanted to share some feedback from my early experience with Competitive Play.

Request: The match found/map travel music, while awesome, drops off suddenly and anticlimactically during hero select. It would be great if this music played longer, with no sudden drop-off. Maybe it could last through hero select and possibly fade away at the beginning of the setup period.

Awesome: Golden gun system. They look great, and while 300 CP seems like a lot it's probably a good bar for the first major rewards.

Request: Unclear win conditions make matches confusing. There are points involved, but they don't always mean victory... (one of my matches went 2/2 on Gibraltar, yet we received a defeat with no sudden death or anything) this makes match results difficult to understand at face value. Please clarify this somewhere (perhaps an info button on the hero select screen).

Awesome: Team display on match found. This looks and feels pretty epic (the music adds to it), and displays great information.

Request: Slightly longer team display at beginning. It's frustrating trying to digest the information presented when a match is found, only to get a couple of stats before being thrown into hero select.

Hopefully that's helpful, mostly from a UX perspective. It seems like a pretty solid system at it's core, with some truly great ideas behind it and some sweet visuals - it just feels like a bit more user experience polish would take it to a world-class level of awesome.

Really solid feedback, ajcdrift.

Request #1: Will pass along to our sound and music guys. Good catch.

Re: Golden Guns... They are kind of expensive. But remember, at the end of a season players will get a lump sum of Competitive Points. The 1 point per win is not how we expect you to be earning these guns. Currently, this is tuned so that the top players should outright get a golden gun at the end of the season while the rest of us might work our way part of the way there.

Request #2: Agree. It's not always clear. On Payloads, checkpoints are points but distance past your current checkpoint is also a win condition. So if the Gibraltar match was 2 to 2 that means the second team only needed to push the payload past the final point that the first team reached. This point has an in-game UI element (it looks like a flashy parking space on the ground) to let you know how far you need to go.

Request #3: We agree. We have a solution coming in July that also shows the Skill Rating and whether or not people are grouped on the Tab screen in Competitive Play. We want to try this first and then determine if we need to lengthen the intro. Right now that information is only available on the VS. screen. But perhaps if we make that info easier to get at later in the match we don't need to add extra time to the game intro. We're always sensitive about adding extra time but will do it if absolutely needed.

Again, this is stellar feedback and we really appreciate you not only testing on the PTR, but putting these thoughts down.
sounds good i just hope it goes live soon. Would give me and my friends more of a challenge and or higher stakes

Request #2: [...] This point has an in-game UI element (it looks like a flashy parking space on the ground) to let you know how far you need to go.

I haven't been on the PTR yet, but is/should there be an indicator on the existing payload progress UI element? Perhaps a gold checkpoint arrow, or maybe implement a new indicator that lists the final distance the cart has travelled per team as well as checkpoints, showing something like:
<Blue>------------<Red>
270.1m -- 2:20 -- 78.8m

In this example, the asterisks would represent checkpoints, or perhaps the distance between checkpoints could arbitrarily be listed as 100m, so a 270m progression would immediately indicate that players had hit two checkpoints, and were 2/3rds of the way to the third. Teams who have not yet had their attacking round would not show a progression value until it's their turn.
I know it has been mentioned before but I would also like to put in that the 1-100 ratings without brackets and flashy icons just feels unrewarding.
Perhaps it might feel a little better if you saw your self starting at the 100 mmr and similar to the xp bar you would see your mmr go up or down depending on scores.
I really feel that would give you a little more of a connection to the number.
06/24/2016 08:16 AMPosted by Nevakanezah

Request #2: [...] This point has an in-game UI element (it looks like a flashy parking space on the ground) to let you know how far you need to go.

I haven't been on the PTR yet, but is/should there be an indicator on the existing payload progress UI element? Perhaps a gold checkpoint arrow, or maybe implement a new indicator that lists the final distance the cart has travelled per team as well as checkpoints, showing something like:
<Blue>------------<Red>
270.1m -- 2:20 -- 78.8m

In this example, the asterisks would represent checkpoints, or perhaps the distance between checkpoints could arbitrarily be listed as 100m, so a 270m progression would immediately indicate that players had hit two checkpoints, and were 2/3rds of the way to the third. Teams who have not yet had their attacking round would not show a progression value until it's their turn.

Yup. It's there.
Jeff, what is the symbol next to your own name? It's a white background with a gold logo. No one seems to know.

Is the music dropping out similar to what is currently on live quick play where you get a really epic intro (LAILOLI!), and then it fades into a sort of 'suspense' sci fi -(get ready)- backbeat? Or is it like actually cutting out abruptly? On a Sort of related note, even though I get the purpose of the fade into that techy beat (maybe to signify "Hey! pay attention! the match starts in 15 seconds!"), I still get kind of sad when the epic intro music of Hollywood dies out and fades into that. However, having said all that, I'm pretty sure that's literally what the music track is and probably something that's not easy to change.
06/24/2016 08:07 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Really solid feedback, ajcdrift.

Request #1: Will pass along to our sound and music guys. Good catch.

Re: Golden Guns... They are kind of expensive. But remember, at the end of a season players will get a lump sum of Competitive Points. The 1 point per win is not how we expect you to be earning these guns. Currently, this is tuned so that the top players should outright get a golden gun at the end of the season while the rest of us might work our way part of the way there.

Request #2: Agree. It's not always clear. On Payloads, checkpoints are points but distance past your current checkpoint is also a win condition. So if the Gibraltar match was 2 to 2 that means the second team only needed to push the payload past the final point that the first team reached. This point has an in-game UI element (it looks like a flashy parking space on the ground) to let you know how far you need to go.

Request #3: We agree. We have a solution coming in July that also shows the Skill Rating and whether or not people are grouped on the Tab screen in Competitive Play. We want to try this first and then determine if we need to lengthen the intro. Right now that information is only available on the VS. screen. But perhaps if we make that info easier to get at later in the match we don't need to add extra time to the game intro. We're always sensitive about adding extra time but will do it if absolutely needed.

Again, this is stellar feedback and we really appreciate you not only testing on the PTR, but putting these thoughts down.

Thank you for the response! From the game's announcement it's been clear the team is hungry for community feedback, which has made me even more excited about it.

Request #2: Thanks for the tip! I'll look for the UI element next time I'm playing Gibraltar. However, I still feel like there's a lack of explanation regarding Competitive Play win conditions. For instance, I didn't see any indication that Nepal was best of 5 until we started the fourth round.

Request #3: That sounds like a great solution and may completely resolve the VS. screen speed. I'm excited to see it in action!

Again, I want to thank you for being so involved and forthcoming. You and the rest of the team put maximum effort into informing, placating, and exciting us as a community and it means a lot.
06/24/2016 05:00 PMPosted by LlamaCat

Is the music dropping out similar to what is currently on live quick play where you get a really epic intro (LAILOLI!), and then it fades into a sort of 'suspense' sci fi -(get ready)- backbeat? Or is it like actually cutting out abruptly? On a Sort of related note, even though I get the purpose of the fade into that techy beat (maybe to signify "Hey! pay attention! the match starts in 15 seconds!"), I still get kind of sad when the epic intro music of Hollywood dies out and fades into that. However, having said all that, I'm pretty sure that's literally what the music track is and probably something that's not easy to change.

The music plays on match found (VS. screen), then quiets and drops off quickly after entering hero selection. It's more uncomfortable than quick play since there's a larger delta between the contrasting pieces and a sharper drop.
06/24/2016 08:07 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Would it be remotely possible that you could look into adding holographic 'finish line ribbon' marks in-map to show the point the payload needs to move to? UI is good to do and all, but putting the information into the 3D space we're focussing on would help greatly, and a simple 'two holographic poles with a holographic "FINISH" ribbon between them' would do wonders if it's possible.
06/30/2016 10:30 PMPosted by WolfWings

Would it be remotely possible that you could look into adding holographic 'finish line ribbon' marks in-map to show the point the payload needs to move to? UI is good to do and all, but putting the information into the 3D space we're focussing on would help greatly, and a simple 'two holographic poles with a holographic "FINISH" ribbon between them' would do wonders if it's possible.

There is already a visual for exactly where you have to go in the game
The current Leave mechanics are horrible. The entire team gets punished if one player leaves.