Competitive Play Hero Limit on PTR

Announcements
1 2 3 26 Next
If you’ve already looked over the PTR patch notes, you probably noticed that we’re experimenting with hero limits in Competitive Play. That’s obviously a big change, and one that’s bound to spark a lot of conversation, so we wanted to take a moment to give you some background and explain why we’re considering it.

Why Add a Hero Limit?
We’ve been discussing the idea of hero limits for almost as long as Overwatch has been in development. It’s been somewhat of a controversial topic, but we’ve always liked giving players the freedom to select any hero, regardless of the team’s composition, because it opened up the possibility for tons of crazy strategies and match-ups.

In Quick Play, where things are intended to be more relaxed, this is fine. But in Competitive Play, we feel that hero stacking is becoming detrimental and leading to some not-so-great player experiences. For example, we’ve seen organized teams on Assault and Hybrid maps use hero stacking to overtake the first point before the defense has a chance to counter. We’ve also seen players use specific stacked compositions just to frustrate their opponents or cause indefinite delays in overtime (among other strategies). While this kind of thing is certainly possible in any mode, the higher stakes of Competitive Play means these kinds of tactics were popping up more often than anyone would like.

Ultimately, we found that we agreed with a lot of the community’s feedback and believe that hero stacking is making the game less fun for competitive players.

So, What Next?
Once we decide that a system isn’t working, we try to fix it as soon as possible. Luckily, this was a relatively simple change for us to make, so today’s PTR includes a mechanic that limits the number of each hero in a Competitive Play match to one per team. If the change addresses the problems like we’re hoping it does, we’ll roll it into the upcoming PC, PS4, and XB1 patches once our public testing is complete. If not, we’ll hold off and explore other possible solutions.

If you have a chance to check out the PTR and the new hero limit in Competitive Play, we hope you’ll discuss your experience with us. To find out how you can access the PTR and/or read the latest patch notes, click here. We’re looking forward to hearing what you think!
Highly Rated
How will you address switching hero with someone?

Example:
>I ask the soldier if he can switch so I can play soldier
>He wants to switch to my hero too
>We can't switch unless we temporarily switch to another hero

Could the game prompt the other player to accept the switch? Would I have to wait until he dies?

There's other ways to do it. You could "queue" up as tracer. When whoever tracer is swaps out, your next death will allow you to spawn as tracer.

I hope Blizzard finds a way that makes hero swapping not a painful process that requires lots of communication, as we know some people just don't want to communicate.
Thank you so much Blizzard for finally listening to your fanbase! Now I have a reason to replay this game!
Highly Rated

Example:

Could the game prompt the other player to accept the switch? Would I have to wait until he dies?

+1 It would be great if we had a hero swapping mechanic in the game.

A good example to look at would be Dota 2 which allows you to swap heroes on the initial spawn in.

Outdated UI in this screenshot but you get the idea: http://i.imgur.com/Spueq.jpg
YES
No more 4-man D.Va defense? :)

Thanks, you do listen to your community, love you !
i find it stupid limiting heroes.. instead of finding a way or a solution to counter such composition.. why dont we just "limit it to 1" .. why? are you that lazy already so that you would remove the problem rather than solving it? People nowadays, SMH.
Highly Rated
I can foresee an issue where Player A and B need to swap roles but Player A is dead trying to switch and Player B is still alive using the hero that Player A is trying to switch to. Will it force Player B to suicide/play recklessly as to not force Player A from just sitting there at spawn. Or will Player A need to pick a 3rd less useful hero until Player B dies and can swap off his intended selection?

EDIT: To be clear I think 1 hero limit is probably better for the game in the long run, hero stacking can be a nightmare to balance. I just hope the implementation has thought about how to swap two people cleanly without having to work around the limit manually.
Sorry to be aggressive, but forums are on fire about the leaver system, about the "individual skill" system, which both affect mostly the solo players, and you talk about hero stacking, which probably only affects premades...

Bitter taste.
07/12/2016 10:46 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
If you’ve already looked over the [url="https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20178523#patchnotes"]PTR patch notes[/url], you probably noticed that we’re experimenting with hero limits in Competitive Play. That’s obviously a big change, and one that’s bound to spark a lot of conversation, so we wanted to take a moment to give you some background and explain why we’re considering it.

Why Add a Hero Limit?
We’ve been discussing the idea of hero limits for almost as long as Overwatch has been in development. It’s been somewhat of a controversial topic, but we’ve always liked giving players the freedom to select any hero, regardless of the team’s composition, because it opened up the possibility for tons of crazy strategies and match-ups.

In Quick Play, where things are intended to be more relaxed, this is fine. But in Competitive Play, we feel that hero stacking is becoming detrimental and leading to some not-so-great player experiences. For example, we’ve seen organized teams on Assault and Hybrid maps use hero stacking to overtake the first point before the defense has a chance to counter. We’ve also seen players use specific stacked compositions just to frustrate their opponents or cause indefinite delays in overtime (among other strategies). While this kind of thing is certainly possible in any mode, the higher stakes of Competitive Play means these kinds of tactics were popping up more often than anyone would like.

Ultimately, we found that we agreed with a lot of the community’s feedback and believe that hero stacking is making the game less fun for competitive players.

So, What Next?
Once we decide that a system isn’t working, we try to fix it as soon as possible. Luckily, this was a relatively simple change for us to make, so today’s PTR includes a mechanic that limits the number of each hero in a Competitive Play match to one per team. If the change addresses the problems like we’re hoping it does, we’ll roll it into the upcoming PC, PS4, and XB1 patches once our public testing is complete. If not, we’ll hold off and explore other possible solutions.

If you have a chance to check out the PTR and the new hero limit in Competitive Play, we hope you’ll discuss your experience with us. To find out how you can access the PTR and/or read the latest patch notes, [url="https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20178523"]click here[/url]. We’re looking forward to hearing what you think!

Good change.
The slogan on the front page
"HEROES FOR EVERYONE
No matter your playstyle, there’s a unique hero for you."

Now you can change it on
"HEROES FOR EVERYONE
No matter your playstyle, there’s a unique hero for you. Unless, of course, it did not take someone else."

"thanks" Blizzard.
its just like when diablo came out.. people where like "diablo is soo hard to kill.. blah blah blah"

Blizz: dont worry. "nerf"
Thank you!
This is not a good idea. What the problem seems to be, according to this is that a team will hero stack, making the game experience negative, so you'd think the best way to solve this problem is to switch to the counters of the heroes that the other team would be stacking, that should always work unless the hero they are playing can't be countered that well, and if that's the case then nerf a certain hero, or buff one don't change a big thing that isn't necessary to change because of some un-counter-able heroes. I would also say that more then 60% of Overwatch players would not agree to this change, it is very unnecessary and i would hope it would not go into the actual game.
Highly Rated
07/12/2016 10:46 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Why Add a Hero Limit?

First off, thanks for the insight. Many players in the community, including myself, greatly appreciate the amount of communication you have with the players.

That being said, I personally think the issues lie in the mechanics mentioned and less in the heroes being stackable. Things like being forced to be in spawn to change heroes, instant recharge on overtime, indefinite contesting/stalling of objectives by a single player, these things go against that "core concept of hero stacking and team coordination." By leaving these things unchanged, it naturally leads us to a situation where heroes that can abuse those mechanics will abuse them, and will be stacked to do so if allowed. Also, going forward, it puts some very crude restraints on hero design, lest we end up with another "5x tracer + lucio" or "staggered 6 dva" composition of stalling, except with 6 different heroes instead of stacking.

Further, by doing this in competitive where there are broken teams and solo queue, you introduce this giant issue of hero locking and open it up to much more toxicity on your own team. If there is a Pharah mucking up our team, and our Soldier 76 can't get the job done, am I supposed to switch to Widowmaker (who is somewhat gutted right now) in order to help counter her? It seems like a situation where it is much easier to blame our Soldier 76 for being bad than congratulate the other team's Pharah for being a good player. Also, this game is already plagued by "mains" that refuse to learn different heroes or what maps/situations certain heroes are better. Instituting a hero limit gives more potential situations where my team brought together by your matchmaker is ultimately doomed from the start because we have 2 Tracer mains where one is practically a dead weight.

In addition, it also opens up the avenue for other designs and playstyles in other genres that have hero limited approaches. I fear a day when we go through a hero draft/ban phase, a day where this becomes a first person moba more than a first person shooter.

I think doing this in general sets a dangerous precedent and sends the game down the wrong path, but hope that you and your dev team find solutions to the many issues that come of this.
PLEASE Fix the system that's made by a middleschooler on 2 wins = 1 loss !@#$ty ratings. Honestly how do you expect us to gain ratings at this rate.
If I want to play Mercy but my teammate wont let me, I guess I just have to hope they comply with me??? OK
Thank goodness. 1 hero limit should have been in from the get go.
I like this change. Everyone can say "You should switch to counter them", but if you are targeted by all of them while trying to counter them, it's not really working. Not once have I seen a 1v1 in a full stacked team unless they're off somewhere alone.

This leads to the death of the team that doesn't have the higher health, more mobility, etc. 4 Bastions + 2 Reinhardts can't be so easily countered by 4 Genji's unless you lead them away from each other - which won't happen since they'll just stay put.
Highly Rated
What about people who are loading more than others members of the team?
Do they will be forced to pick the remaining heroes?
Otherwise, a man with the weakest computer will always be forced to pick the role others left for him, even if he doesn't main it.

Example:

+1 It would be great if we had a hero swapping mechanic in the game.

A good example to look at would be Dota 2 which allows you to swap heroes on the initial spawn in.

Outdated UI in this screenshot but you get the idea: http://i.imgur.com/Spueq.jpg

What if you could retain the ult the person had built up if you swapped heros