Ana Arabic Voice Line

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
".العدالة نزلة من فوق"

Thank you for this, Blizzard.

As a half Egyptian and a fluent Arabic speaker, I know you've been getting a lot of complaints regarding Pharah not having any lines in her native language.

I'm glad you saw this, and listened, and gave Ana an Arabic voice line. If you guys aren't already aware, you can see it on the PTR; It's simply "Justice Rains From Above" in Arabic, a nice homage to her daughter.
She has more. The voice actress is Egyptian. We actually recorded her from Cairo.

Glad you're enjoying!
Thanks for the translation ^^
07/12/2016 01:20 PMPosted by Slytherin
".العدالة نزلة من فوق"

Thank you for this, Blizzard.

As a half Egyptian and a fluent Arabic speaker, I know you've been getting a lot of complaints regarding Pharah not having any lines in her native language.

I'm glad you saw this, and listened, and gave Ana an Arabic voice line. If you guys aren't already aware, you can see it on the PTR; It's simply "Justice Rains From Above" in Arabic, a nice homage to her daughter.

Really? Wow, that's just awesome!
Thanks Blizzard!
Nice!
07/12/2016 01:21 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
She has more. The voice actress is Egyptian. We actually recorded her from Cairo.

Glad you're enjoying!

Really? I could have sworn it was Shohreh Aghdashloo. Sounds just like her.
That's a pretty rad tribute.
As a fellow native speaker, Pharah's lack of Arabic voice lines did annoy me. I'm also very glad to see that they have added this change to Ana. I'm curious to see what her ultimate will sound like. (hopefully it's a global sound)
Ironically, while the voice line says justice rains from above, Ana herself can do little to get above people and lacks a lot of the power needed to rain said justice. More like parking fines splash you in the face.

Glad you're enjoying!

It's true!

Not only that, but as I play her on the PTR, she has even more.

When she gets a kill, she says “ اسمع كلام الاكبر منك “ which literally translates to “Listen to your elders.”

When she uses her Nano Boost ability, which enhances another character’s abilities, she says “ وريهم قوتك “ which literally translates to “Show them your power.”
Thats great, thanks Blizz habibi
Would have been better if it was done in standard (fusha) Arabic, especially considering that these are animated characters (animated characters are overwhelmingly dubbed in standard Arabic). Plus ".العدالة نزلة من فوق" is the how it would be spelled in standard Arabic. In Egyptian Arabic (which is the dialect the voice actor is speaking in) it would be العدالة نازلة من فؤ. Which means "The justice is coming down/lowering from above". That doesn't make much sense unless people know the context. To someone who doesn't know the context it can even mean that the quality of justice is going down from the higher-ups. Would be better to translate into Arabic "The justice rains upon you" "العَدالَةُ تَمْطُرُ عَلَيْكُم" much clearer and natural sounding.
07/12/2016 02:25 PMPosted by IcyRose
Would have been better if it was done in standard (fusha) Arabic,
I wholeheartedly disagree. Egyptian dialect (if you want to even call it that) is sufficiently different that it deserves its own voice actors. Ana is Egyptian, and Blizzard made the culturally sensitive and correct choice in choosing an Egyptian voice actor complete with Egyptian styles of pronunciation and wording. NO ONE speaks using Modern Standard Arabic in real life, you would seem like a clown walking the streets of the Arab world trying to speak it.

Glad you're enjoying!

If you could get an Egyptian VA to record from Cairo for Ana, couldn't you have gotten a Brazilian VA for Lucio?

I know it sounds like complaining but I'm actually only curious about why the inconsistency.

Glad you're enjoying!

This are the moments when I just love this guy.
If you´re adding Heroes from all over the world how bout a character from Bosnia? I would love that! Keep it up Mr. Kaplan!
That's really the best thing ever. we probably never get things like this in other games.
thanks blizzard!

Glad you're enjoying!

AAAAHHHH! That's awesome! Thank you!

May Blizz add more voice lines to characters?
I would love to hear Reaper have some Spanish voice lines and Lucio Portuguese. I feel like they're the only two that don't really show off their nationality as much as the other Heroes.
07/12/2016 02:43 PMPosted by Semirhage
I would love to hear Reaper have some Spanish voice lines and Lucio Portuguese. I feel like they're the only two that don't really show off their nationality as much as the other Heroes.

There's actually been a thread about the voice actors' nationalities that's been well-discussed, here: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745235289?page=1

To summarize what I said in it, Lucio and Reaper (and others I'm sure) aren't really "Hispanic" or "Brazilian". They're Edgelord and DJ by birth, respectively. It's not that Blizzard didn't go to the effort to voice them by origin, but that it wasn't really the point--their nationality could be anything, and it wouldn't change who they are (heh, imagine Reaper as a Canadian or Swedish lol). While characters such as Widowmaker and Reinhardt are much more stereotypes of their cultures, meaning having accents/foreign lines/whatever was more important.

But, I think the devs caught on to us wanting more natural languages, so I'm extremely happy that they're starting to do that. Thank you Jeff!
Still not enjoying the leaver epidemic!