21:9 on PTR

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
Was so excited to hear about 21:9 support, then this...

This is actually worse than just playing with bars on the side. Same horizontal FoV, worse vertical FoV, cut off models, and zoomed in perspective.

Pretty disappointing to hear them say they're going to listen to the feedback, then put in a feature that's even worse off than it already was.

Was excited to get back in to OW when I read these patch notes, now not so much.
I don't support 21:9 players having a horizontal FOV advantage. That isn't fair.
07/12/2016 05:01 PMPosted by Kuga
I don't support 21:9 players having a horizontal FOV advantage. That isn't fair.

I respect your opinion but i also believe that it is short sighted. but we need every opinion that we can get, this is a discussion that we need to have as a community and the more posts on this thread the more likely we are to have it addressed.

Do you also not support having support for more that 60hz monitors?
Need a Blizzard response ASAP.
07/12/2016 05:07 PMPosted by Nukeclears

The scale of the advantage is entirely different.
07/12/2016 05:08 PMPosted by Mavrik
Need a Blizzard response ASAP.

i know id be happy with a simple "were looking into it" i'm sure their crazy busy right now tho.
Wow. I really hope Blizzard and Jeff haven't gotten this lazy as to think this is acceptable.

I do not support any frame limitation that isn't part of the engine. Your comparison is apples and oranges.
This 21:9 advantage bull!@#$ needs to stop. It does not make you aim better in anyway. It's for a more immerse experience in the game.

Better mice and faster monitors actually improve your gameplay experience.

Blizzard needs get there act together and start acting like a PC dev and support new and upcoming tech. They can do it with audio. ( Atmos ) There is no reason they can't with upcoming aspect ratios.
I was sooooo excited to see the patch notes and it really made my day, but then I saw the cropping. :(

Can we get an official response if this is intended or a bug?
07/12/2016 05:29 PMPosted by Vinlaen
I was sooooo excited to see the patch notes and it really made my day, but then I saw the cropping. :(

Can we get an official response if this is intended or a bug?

There is absolutely 0% chance this is a bug. 21:9 does not even need to be implemented, just enabled. Like flicking a switch.

This was deliberate. I cant believe they promised us 21:9 support and then gave us a cropped 16:9 frame. It's like a giant middle finger to 21:9 users.
I saw these notes and was instantly super happy and even made a thread thanking Blizzard for the change. After getting in-game, however, I quickly realized that there was a problem and that it wasn't true 21:9. I am deeply disappointed in this and hope this is fixed.

To the people who say allowing this would give ultra-widescreen users an unfair advantage, I have this to say to you:

Would you oppose games allowing people to use widescreen monitors as opposed to fullscreen/CRT monitors in the past? At one point widescreen monitors were too expensive for most gamers to get and when they did get widescreen monitors it gave them an advantage in games that supported it. Widescreen has since become the industry standard and fullscreen/CRT monitors have fallen into disuse.

To me, it's the same exact issue. Many people view ultra-widescreen monitors as the future of gaming.

Price isn't even an issue at this point. You can get a perfectly good high quality 2560x1080 ultra-widescreen monitor for less than $200 nowadays, hardly more expensive than a standard widescreen monitor.

With a growing number of people who use ultra-widescreen monitors, it makes no sense to me that Blizzard continues to alienate those people in the community who use these monitors. It just drives us away to other games that support it (which is the vast majority of modern games in 2016). The number of people who would complain if this was allowed is minuscule in comparison to the number of people who it heavily negatively effects on a day-to-day basis.
We do not plan to increase the max FOV beyond 103, in any resolution. As a result, this doesn't leave us with a lot of options for 21:9 support. I know this is not the answer our 21:9 players want to hear. But we feel like it would be unfair to 16:10 and 16:9 players if 21:9 gave a substantial FOV advantage.
07/12/2016 05:11 PMPosted by Tessman

The scale of the advantage is entirely different.

In your opinion. I don't think it is and I have a reference point.

In my opinion (by rank of importance)

1. Time - The more you play, the better you get
2. Internet speed and reliability - Without this, too frustrating to play
3. Communication - Gotta have a clear, responsive mic for me and buddies
4. Mouse customization - Required for snapshots
5. FPS and refresh rate - Can't have tearing/ghosting/lag for FPS - eyestrain with poor refresh rate
6. Sound - I have to know where characters like Reaper are without them seeing me

The screen space is on the edges. It doesn't give you that much more.

If we are going to make things "fair" i would address these other areas because some people can't play all the time and that's not fair. Why should some people get to use the Blizzard servers more than me? We should limit server time so they don't have an advantage. Fast internet connections make a huge difference, we need to degrade that to make things fair. Why do we allow more than 2 button mice? It's a huge advantage having extra buttons. Old machines that can't produce video or sound properly combined with a cheap headset. Those people don't realize what a disadvantage they are at.

I really don't care about the black bars as much as i care about making something worse to make things "fair".
07/12/2016 05:55 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We do not plan to increase the max FOV beyond 103, in any resolution. As a result, this doesn't leave us with a lot of options for 21:9 support. I know this is not the answer our 21:9 players want to hear. But we feel like it would be unfair to 16:10 and 16:9 players if 21:9 gave a substantial FOV advantage.

Wasn't it unfair to give 16:9 players an unfair advantage over 4:3 players in the past? How is this any different?

Would it be possible to replace the black bars at least? Could fill it in Arcade cabinet style with buttons/abilities of the character currently being played and art or something.

Thanks for the response.
Well. Nice big middle finger from Blizz there.

I'd also like to know how you respond to the argument that literally anyone could go out and buy a 21:9 monitor for less than $200 and be on the same playing field. That's the way PC gaming works. If you have more expensive hardware, you're going to have an advantage. If someone's playing with a crappy mouse on a small monitor with like 10 FPS, they'll certainly be at a disadvantage to someone who has a $2000 PC with a large monitor and 60+FPS. Internet latency and how good a connection is also is correlated with people's finances and also confers a huge advantage.

The PC market is huge and diverse and attempting to cater to the cheaper side of things will only serve to alienate those who have higher end computers. It has no other purpose. How many people would actually complain about this? It makes zero sense to me that this is your policy. Can you please respond and give some answers on how this would be an unfair advantage given all of the other things that a PC player can already do to gain an advantage over other, poorer players who don't have as much money to spend? Especially given the cheap cost of an ultra-wide monitor in 2016.