A different type of Toxic Player thread

General Discussion
What I have found is being insulted doesn't make most sulk away, it actually makes most people try harder, including myself. Unfortunately, for many there is now an emotional undercurrent that can negate the possible positive effects any try-harding would bestow, especially if trying harder doesn't immediately pan out.

There is absolutely no justification or rationalization for the things i often hear people say to each other while playing Overwatch. This is a game, being good or bad at it doesn't effect any significant part of your life in any significant way. Unless you go professional. And even then, when the pros lose or when situations don't go their way they are courteous and gentle about it (at least out in public).

Look its so much easier to ruin someone's good time than it is to bolster it.. Anyone out there want a real challenge? Next time you lose, and there is someone on the team that obviously contributed to that loss, instead of insulting them, try finding a way to point out something they did good. Try and find a way to make them feel like if they stick with it, they will improve. While you're at it, congratulate the whole team. I promise, saying nice things to teammates and bringing up morale really mitigates the nasty feeling of losing.
One time, my cat jumped on the keyboard and managed to type usuxl2p into Team chat.
Competitive online play: where the players are ugly because the stakes are so low.
07/19/2016 08:10 AMPosted by LimitVoodoo
What I have found is being insulted doesn't make most sulk away, it actually makes most people try harder

What i have found is that there's a good chunk that couldnt possibly try less.

The only way left to motivate that type is insult. They dont understand "nice".

When foreign, you get farther speaking their language than with nice jibberish.
I'd rather people insult me directly instead of trying to do it in a passive-aggressive way that suggest that the only other online games they've played are stuff like League of Legends, which refrains from banning people for making technically polite statements.
People don't realize words do affect other people.
07/19/2016 08:10 AMPosted by Brightshadow
One time, my cat jumped on the keyboard and managed to type usuxl2p into Team chat.

Mean cat. haha
This happened the other day on an extremely long and close game on Hollywood that went into multiple overtimes. We won on a final push with a pretty good ult from me where I deleted both healers and Bastion that got play of the game.

Toxic Winston: "Holy crap we almost lose because of this terrible Genji."

Genji: "k, well, I have 4 golds, so /shrug"

Toxic Winston: "LOL you didn't do anything all game. Get carried noob."

Genji: "I got play of the game too on the last push?"

Toxic Winston: "You are trash. Genji is a trash hero. You are awful."

I mean, what are you going to do with a player like that? I stood on the payload more than him during a hybrid map which is obviously not ideal but our tank wouldn't, so someone had to. I killed anyone that got near the payload, and still managed to have some great team-wiping ults netting me #1 damage and elims. I went like 28-2 or something, we had excellent healers.

This Winston...leapt in over and over against Bastion/two healer comp and got deleted instantly and needed someone to blame. It could have been anyone, but he chose me, and he obviously chose wrong, but he was still sticking to his guns.

I got 8 votes on my card at the end too, and he was still raging. Can't do anything with a guy like that. He's probably a miserable prick in real life too.
I personally do try harder when someone says I suck. I also cry and think about dying a lot though so I'm probably not a good example.
Duh, just say "glhfbppootosicfibasiwtptd" -- good luck have fun but please play one of tank or support I cannot fill in both and sometimes I want to play the DPS.

It's an easy to remember acronym, and not toxic at all.
07/19/2016 08:17 AMPosted by MrWarglaive

Insults may get their attention faster, but won't lead to real motivation. Real motivation comes from a feeling that you can contribute and make a difference if you were to just try harder. Insults rarely bring that kind of feeling to most people.

I agree with AmishManlove. Passive aggression is a tool used by cowards. The world would be a much better place without it. In a competitive team environment such as Overwatch, IMO the only aggression need to be displayed is in your gameplay. And be a total sweetheart outside the match. Your respect level will go off the chart among other players.
It is hard to not say 'you suck' when you walk away with 3-4 medals, a card, and maybe even POTG and your team loses.
People only resort to toxicity when they feel they will lose no matter what and want to make it abundantly clear that THEY aren't the reason but rather the <insert flavor of the month scapegoat hero> on the team.

It's a coping mechanism to help them feel better, nothing more.

They don't care about helping to turn the team around, they just want to blame someone so that they feel superior during a loss.
07/19/2016 08:43 AMPosted by LimitVoodoo
07/19/2016 08:17 AMPosted by MrWarglaive

Insults may get their attention faster, but won't lead to real motivation. Real motivation comes from a feeling that you can contribute and make a difference if you were to just try harder. Insults rarely bring that kind of feeling to most people.

No... desire to prove you wrong will trump any desire to follow nice feedback.

99% dont give a **** about you or what "nice" you have to offer them - they only care about themselves and that they're better than you and must prove it.

Unless they're just terrible and/or dont care at all then you get "!@#$ it's just QP".

You'll inspire vastly more improvement with insult than with decency, it's the way of this generation. You're living in the past banking on "honey" to fix things.
07/19/2016 09:10 AMPosted by DKMOUNTAIN
It's a coping mechanism to help them feel better, nothing more.

So is not trying... which more often then not is actually trying and being unable to do well - so to cope with that they make a point to avoid the objective so as to avoid the reality of the situation, instead of just trying harder and helping.

Coping with the fact they arent streamer-quality is harder than trying.

Proving you wrong is much easier to accept than proving you right. Failing at the first still lets them fall back on "not trying, who cares...." and not "you believed in me and i still failed." Little kids of all ages find poor ways to cope.