Is Reaper.... not a bad guy?

General Discussion
Not to try to argue that he's all bunny and kitty loving, but I noticed a couple of things in the Recall short (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WhdXPaUd8 for ease of discussion) that really strike me as odd, especially when you compare those happenings to the other trailers.

A) The Talon soldiers (3:22) are equipped with guns this is true, but when given the chance they don't actually kill Winston. They had him dead to rights the moment the first two start electrocuting him; just one a point blank shot to the head and kaboom, Winston's dead.

There's also the question of why (oh why) Talon Soldiers, ruthless Mercenaries out for blood, would even be equipped with tazers in the first place when assaulting an enemy base. That's extra weight that the guns really don't need to have, and it's decidingly non-lethal, something that a veteran of Blackwatch wouldn't really worry about if he was actively trying to kill people.

B) While we're on that; Why would the leader of the dirtiest, balls to the walls, "we get the jobs done that no one else can do" crew on the planet start monologuing (Well, laughing really) when he had someone he supposedly wants to kill dead to rights, TWICE, within two minutes (First time when the soldiers have Winston Tazed, the second time with the chandelier on top of Winston 4:40). Speaking of the Chandelier; rather than just walking forward and removing Winston's Face, he drops a chandelier on him.

I know it's not a chandelier, but it's the thought that counts.

C) We've never actually seen him do anything bad (Yet). Storms Gibralter and gets into a fight with Winston? Doesn't even bring a bomb to blow the place up after he's done with it; he's legitimately only there to get the locations of Overwatch Agents and then bug out (Hopefully, as postulated, not killing an Overwatch member in the process).

When we see him and Widowmaker storm the museum, Widowmaker starts shooting at the kids. Reaper? Doesn't even notice them, he's just trying to shoot/drive off/hurt Winston and Tracer. It should definitely be noted that he does say "Die!" directly at one of them, though this can be seen as two things;

1) It's a non-canon trailer to show off the game. It's only purpose is to hype people up for the game, or the more likely

2) It's after Gibralter and Reaper thinks that Winston and Tracer are siding with whoever his real objective is.

Here's what I think is going to happen: Reaper, who is searching for someone affiliated with Overwatch, and Soldier 76, who is searching for someone who is responsible for destroying Overwatch, are really working towards the same goals. At some point in the story, we're going to see at LEAST Reaper and Soldier, with the possibility of adding in Torbjorn, Reinhardt, and Ana, tracking down and killing whoever is responsible for Overwatch's Fall.
You tell me, doc.
Then, as the final note; both Recall and the Trailer are the LEAST violent when it comes to people getting the crap kicked out of him.

We've seen Hanzo storm through a castle while hurting guards, and Genji/Hanzo were CLEARLY out for blood the entire time.

We've seen Soldier 76 mop the floor with an entire street gang.

We've seen Widowmaker fire on children, assassinate a target, and kill a fair few people while doing so.

We've never seen Reaper do anything but shoot at Winston. Not saying that's justified, but that's a lot less than any of the other characters.
I think he is, judging by his overall aesthetic and voice lines. Plus, I think he led the Blackwatch, which ultimately overthrew Overwatch.
Reaper wants the location of all overwatch heroes so he can eliminate them. Maybe he wanted to torture the !@#$ out of Winston if he wasn't able to get it through Athena.
Winston and Reaper (Gabriel Reyes) has a shared history in Overwatch.

But I don't think Reaper was being merciful or sparing Winston in the shorts. More like I think he was gloating. Since he called him a monkey.

Shooting the overhead object that landed on Winston, was an act, I believe, to make Winston helpless. To get the full enjoyment of crushing your enemy, just like a bad guy.

Plus, we don't know, maybe Talan gave Reaper orders to not kill but capture.
winston is still worth a lot of money, he have a brain and are an experience of genetic, it can be sold quite a lot, then kill it is a loose.

especially for mercenary that out for blood and CASH!
you look like you seen a ghost.
07/19/2016 08:35 AMPosted by Malmortus
Reaper wants the location of all overwatch heroes so he can eliminate them. Maybe he wanted to torture the !@#$ out of Winston if he wasn't able to get it through Athena.

It's also possible that Athena has protocols programmed into her to value Winston's welfare. She's clearly an AI, and spends the first minute or so of Recall lecturing him about his health.

The reverse could be true and he might have been planning to torture Winston to get the information he wanted from Athena.
07/19/2016 08:35 AMPosted by Malmortus

Yeah, I was going to say this, Winston knows stuff, so he's probably wanted alive.
monologuing... not mono logging
Mercy will be the true villain just you wait,blizzard as pointed the fact she does not age far too many times in game for it not to be relevant in the future
Well he started out as a respected US veteran and member of Overwatch, a close friend of Solider: 76. I'm not aware that he did anything "baddie"-ish until after the Omnics were defeated?

I get the impression he's bitter rather than evil.
07/19/2016 08:40 AMPosted by NastyNate01
monologuing... not mono logging

My computer wasn't recognizing that as valid. Thank you.
I don't think Reaper is actually evil. He's a hired gun that seems to be employed by Talon regularly, but he doesn't seem to work for them as Widowmaker does.

His voice lines with some of the other characters aren't really openly hostile either, even with 76. He's arrogant and kind of a !@*@***@, and probably bitter and resentful, but he doesn't really scream "evil".

He certainly isn't a good guy, though. Not in the way that Winston, Tracer, Pharah, etc. are, anyway.
He did lead blackwatch and well blackwatch did the dirty stuff that Overwatch can't since it wont be good for their reputation as heroes.He's more of a person that sees "The ends justify the means".Everything he did was for the greater good,Personally I think the guy is just bitter.
Great, just what we need is another stereotypical "anti-hero" character that's all dark and moody but not really a bad guy just mean-spirited and sarcastic. He's already an edgelord, if he ends being a "good guy" he will basically be Shadow The Hedgehog in human form.

Barf.
You make a compelling argument, but so does this guy:

07/19/2016 08:37 AMPosted by Jaymacibe
I don't think Reaper was being merciful or sparing Winston in the shorts. More like I think he was gloating. Since he called him a monkey.

Shooting the overhead object that landed on Winston, was an act, I believe, to make Winston helpless. To get the full enjoyment of crushing your enemy, just like a bad guy.

Plus, we don't know, maybe Talan gave Reaper orders to not kill but capture.

I guess we'll just have to wait for more lore development to confirm.
Well he wanted to know to agent's location to kill them one by one , ''everywhere reaper go's an overwatch agent dies'' , he prop shot the thing above winston so he could kill him slowly or like others said he wanted to keep him alive maybe he could be usefull.
Reaper is bad guy, but is not bad guy