Symmetra's Photon Shield need to be redesigned.

General Discussion
I always thought it would be more interesting if it was more akin to Torbjorn in that you are rewarded for enemy death. Maybe if the shields were buffed, had a limited lifespan, but you have to build them up for use through damage with your sentry damage/left and right clicks? That might make her playstyle a bit more engaging and rewarding.
How about the shield Symmetra applies regenerates. So you have a 150hp tracer who is 175 with shield. She takes 100 points of damage before withdrawing, 25 consumed by shield and 75 by her health. This drops her to 75 hp. But after 3 seconds of avoiding fire, her 25 shields given by Symmetra recharges, bringing her back to 100hp.

This will continue until the recipient of the shield is eliminated, after which Symmetra will have to reapply the shield. Symmetra could have a metric of "damage shielded" to tally how effective her shields are on her allies.

Characters who can engage and disengage from combat could see their life expectancy increase slightly, as they would continue to get an extra 25 shield hp.
Actually the shield is very overpowerred when you combine it with Torj's armor pack. Note how health works in this game. Order of loss goes
White Health -> Yellow Armor -> Blue Shield -> Dark Blue Overheal.
If you have just 1 point of armor on your health bar, all damage is reduced by 50% up to 5 damage. This includes Shield Health. So adding 25 HP may not seem like a lot at first but when you add 75 yellow health BEHIND it, then that 25 has even more HP since its getting reduced. Its also why Zarya actually gets really OP when you give her a Torj armor pack since her natural shield is lost first and the entire amount is protected by the armor bonus.

The best way that has been spoken to fix the ability is to have it still apply the 25 HP shield but also convert 25 or 50 white health into blue shield health.
I'll post in any Sym thread how she needs a buff or a change, so it's nice to see others feel the same way. The shield is not fun or, in my opinion, useful. I place it on an ally and they die as easily as if it wasn't there a moment later.

Most Symmetra's think of the shield at spawn and then, never again. You never get another shield, because they're busy trying to be useful spamming light balls down the lane or keeping their turrets up as they get destroyed; only 1HP. Trying to convince people they aren't worthless to the team, which I totally understand whenever I play her.
07/18/2016 10:44 AMPosted by Katlego
I'll post in any Sym thread how she needs a buff or a change, so it's nice to see others feel the same way. The shield is not fun or, in my opinion, useful. I place it on an ally and they die as easily as if it wasn't there a moment later.

Most Symmetra's think of the shield at spawn and then, never again. You never get another shield, because they're busy trying to be useful spamming light balls down the lane or keeping their turrets up as they get destroyed; only 1HP. Trying to convince people they aren't worthless to the team, which I totally understand whenever I play her.
When I play Symmetra I trained myself so if I see the "Player has used your teleporter" notification, I'll look to where my porter is and shield that guy. Only takes half a second but it's really appreciated by them, especially if they're squishy. I also start spamming E anytime I hear Mercy shout out her ult.
07/18/2016 10:02 AMPosted by MisterRyan
I always thought it would be more interesting if it was more akin to Torbjorn in that you are rewarded for enemy death. Maybe if the shields were buffed, had a limited lifespan, but you have to build them up for use through damage with your sentry damage/left and right clicks? That might make her playstyle a bit more engaging and rewarding.

This idea sounds like it would be good for her turrets. Like if a turret does enough damage, it gets a tiny bit stronger. It would make her playstyle a little more fun imo. Trying to protect her turrets and max them out.
07/18/2016 08:49 AMPosted by KendiKong
Her E is definitely a useful ability, but it certainly isn't satisfying to the player because you have no feedback of its usefulness in battle.

Perhaps a solution would be a stat that shows how many times the shields has been broken or how much damage the shields have negated

Just because it shows me stats doesn't make it any more interesting to use.

It's annoying to apply. It's really annoying to reapply, and it is very unsatisfying to use.
I see an ally taking damage, I throw on my tiny shield and he dies. Well, I did what I could. So much support!
Just paraphrasing what the original poster said:

"This discussion is not about how strong or weak Symmetra or her shields are: It's about how boring they are to use"

Even if the shield was changed to something like "Convert 25 health to shield + 25 extra" doesn't really fix the problem: It's still a 'fire and forget' skill that you don't get much feedback on, and in ways is hard to appreciate for the team. It might be more powerful, but it's still the same mechanic of "Press E on all your teammates at spawn, and occasionally press E on them again whenever it's convenient if they've died."

Hell, even if it was a brokenly overpowered (but definitely appreciable) +100 health shield, it'd still be boring on both ends: For enemies, the enemy team just happens to have a larger health pool, and all you can do about it is deal with it, and kill them and hope Symmetra forgets to reapply it. And for allies, Symmetra's still doing the exact same thing as before with the shields, except she gets yelled at more often if she forgets to reapply it.

---

Also Crolis, that's pretty much exactly how the shields work in-game already.

From the wiki:
Photon Shield: When activated, Symmetra provides a semi-permanent shield to her target, increasing their maximum Health by a flat amount. This bonus health can be healed, and regenerates like a normal shield. This ability autotargets the ally closest to the center of Symmetra's crosshairs. The shield will last until the affected ally dies, or if Symmetra is swapped for a different hero.
My suggestion has always been to have the shield convert a portion of the target's health to shields so Symmetra can "heal" more. For the sake of example, let's say that it still gives the 25 bonus HP but converts 75 health to shields. That would allow for 100HP recovery if you haven't been hit for a while, reducing running around for health packs and lowering healer strain.

It doesn't solve the problem of Symmetra's shields not being a fun button or her problem of only being strong on Point A, but it does make her a more solid support option over all.

To make them more fun, even something as simple as putting down a "Shield Well" or something that teammates can run through for shields would be fine. Plopping that on a point would be like dropping tiny med-kits with multiple uses, require far fewer button presses, and give Symmetra something to do when the enemy pushes instead of watching her sentries die and holding left click.
I think she's got more than enough to do just managing her turrets and not getting caught out of position and destroyed.
I'd just like it to convert a portion of existing health into shields.

Like it adds 25 shields and then makes 75 of existing health shields as well. So max capacity is only 25 higher but players can regenerate up to 100 health after 3s.
I still feel they should change it to replacing character's health by shields. Like, half their health or something? Maybe a specific amount? Might not spice up her gameplay that much, but will go a long way to making her feel like more of a healer, and will also make placing shields on her teammates that died a lot more vital and part of her gameplan.
Honestly, my ideal improvement or change for her is to allow her shield to be reapplied if depleted, or even just replenish it up to the full 25. That way, she functions as a healer. It's a small heal by comparison to the other healers--which makes sense since she has the best offense of all of them. And it locks her from dps anyways if she's reapplying. Even if someone is taking a steady stream of damage, 25 shields per cast, at the speed she casts it, is really not even as good as having Mercy latched to the player you're damaging.

The only reason why I say this, is because she's in the support line. If she were moved to the defense line--where she should be--I wouldn't expect her to have some element of healing.
I've always wished the ability was less boring too.

I kinda wish her sentries gave stronger shields that they would give to your allies if they are near them but go away once out of range. Then this would stack with the shielding ability. at least that point 25 plus whatever that sentry gave wouldn't be neglible like the 25 is by itself and still has a weakness of Winston destroying it.

Other useful abilities would be just to remove it and give her the ability to spawn a Grav lift that allowed allies to get to higher ledges. It could look pretty similar to her tele pads but with different animation on it.

It'd also be nice if I could borrow an idea from another thread that was to launch sentries.

There are plenty of ideas but I can't get passed the fact I feel more defensive when playing as her than supportive
Make the shield a % of total health, at the bare minimum
Assuming they are fine with its current state of balance, it should just become a passive. Having to reapply 25 health on a 600 HP tank/death/rez/dva suit etc is just silly.
While i agree the quality of life of her Photon shield could be hightened, it just feel so unrewarding at the moment. Press E and sit back. At least Torjborn is fun to hunt the little gears lying around.
How about going at it from a different direction?

E:
Target a shielded enemy to have that enemy drop all shields (set to 0 and wait for regen) and apply that amount of shields to your allies within a certain radius of the enemy for X seconds. (Also works on overshield, but the overshield would decay as per usual.)

That might fix it and even be enough make her (more) usable on attack.
07/18/2016 11:45 AMPosted by Moofasa

Agreed. 25 health on a Tracer is decent, but 25 on a Roadhog isn't even noticeable.
07/18/2016 02:42 PMPosted by Nick
07/18/2016 11:45 AMPosted by Moofasa

Agreed. 25 health on a Tracer is decent, but 25 on a Roadhog isn't even noticeable.

Even if it were a %, 25+hp on tracer would give Roadhog 100 more hp, and that's insane. They play tested the amount and even 50 was too much. You have to look at it as tho, relatively, which players can 1-shot or 2-shot others. with 50+hp on a player, Mei would no longer be able to freeze and headshot the 200hp players, Widowmaker's headshot would no longer oneshot them. A Fan the Hammer wouldn't be able to kill tracer. It would unbalance a large amount of the game.