Do you care about your win %

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
It seems that a whole lot of players/people around here really hate to see "DEFEAT" appear on their screen at the end of a game. What, exactly, hurts someone by their team losing a game? What benefit does one get by their team winning a game?

From what I see, in a QP game, winning means you see your hero pose for about 3 seconds. The PotG can come from either the winning or losing team. The MVP cards seem completely divorced from the team result.

I record all my games because I often post them to YouTube. I like "showing off" wins. But really, I've had some personally great games (2 deaths, 20+ eliminations) where my team lost the game. I've had many really fun games (humorous situations, amazing plays) where my team lost the game.

Why does anyone get worked up over their win rate? It's like some people just *can not* have fun unless they win. Even though the win gives them absolutely nothing tangible.

Think back to your last 5 games. How many did you win vs. lose? Do you remember without looking up the stats? Heck, I couldn't tell you whether my very last game, played just last night, was a win or loss.

Unless you always play as part of a group, no one else in the world will notice or care whether your personal win rate is 50% or 80% or 20%.

Is win % important to you? If so, why?
no
because it does not impact me in any way
Nope, not at all lols.

With that said someone linked my profile to me yesterday and even all that achiv hunting and doing crap it is still above 50% haha.

Impressed myself heh.
So long as it stays roughly in the 1:1 range I don't mind so much. I just don't want it dipping much lower or else I'll begin to wonder if I'm the one dragging our teams down.
I keep my DVA win around 70% in Quickplay. I am indeed a sore loser when it comes to games in general. My idea of fun is winning.
I like to keep track of it, make sure I'm still a good player and all haha.
Win rate doesn't represent much in this game. If your are increasing in elo your win rate will > 50%, if your elo is decreasing your win rate will <50%. If your elo stays the same it should end up about 50%.

How much it increases and decreases isn't a constant (I think), so the final win rate doesn't represent much.
07/18/2016 10:25 AMPosted by iSinner
no
because it does not impact me in any way

Same. I just play to have fun.

I've seen some people on the forums being jerks looking up people's profiles just to snicker or gloat. Really showing maturity levels there.
Yes. Like it or not your winrate reflects on you as a player, and if it's lower, people will think less of you.

Ditto for stats.
Only in ranked.

I couldn't care less about quickplay since it's the mode I play when I don't give a crap about winning or picking decent heroes.
It shows how good of a player you are to a degree so yes I imagine it does matter to anyone who cares about being good.
I care about winning in QP because if I keep winning, my MMR will go up and I'll face more challenging players! I'm always looking to be challenged, so losing means I may get put up against people who might not challenge me next game. Keep the win rate high means if I want to practice with a character, I can be assured it will be a challenging practice.
You can be dealing 2k damage / min in a crap elo game and it is not the same as dealing 2k damage / min in a pro elo game. Stats changes doesn't carry over to compare with other players. It only shows your own performance if you're improving or not. Even then that is arguable.

Win rate means even less. Maintaining a 50% win rate as a 10 Skill rating isn't the same as maintaining a 50% win rate as a 80 Skill rating.

Stats cannot represent anything when the sample taken is not from the same population. Every game is matched differently from player to player therefore it cannot be used to compare player performance.
As a solo queuer, it feels less like a win ratio and more like an overall luck percentage.

So no. I don't care.
Yes I care about my win %. I care that it is not higher.
I play a lot with my girlfriend and since she is very new to FPS games, it's like being one man down. It often comes down to if I can carry the 5v6 or not. So my win percentage is worse than it should be by default and I'm okay with that.
In any case I would be fine with it. When you play multiplayer games, you'll lose. You'll even lose a lot. But to me that's the appeal. Tough matches. Even in defeat I'm more happy about a good match, rather than playing against predictable AI opponents. Against AI, once you get the pattern down, there is pretty much no way for you to lose anymore. And that's just boring.
I do, but seing that its terrible I really shouldn't.

Although I somehow have a 70% winrate on Pharah over 30 games. Now I am scared to play her, can't ruin my precious stats!
07/18/2016 10:56 AMPosted by Lucavex
I care about winning in QP because if I keep winning, my MMR will go up and I'll face more challenging players! I'm always looking to be challenged, so losing means I may get put up against people who might not challenge me next game. Keep the win rate high means if I want to practice with a character, I can be assured it will be a challenging practice.

lies
Well, I like to win more than I lose, so yes, win % matters.

However, I don't mind losing if I felt the loss was justified. In other words, if I feel like the game was good, the loss doesn't really bother me.
07/18/2016 10:56 AMPosted by CookyKim
You can be dealing 2k damage / min in a crap elo game and it is not the same as dealing 2k damage / min in a pro elo game. Stats changes doesn't carry over to compare with other players. It only shows your own performance if you're improving or not. Even then that is arguable.

Win rate means even less. Maintaining a 50% win rate as a 10 Skill rating isn't the same as maintaining a 50% win rate as a 80 Skill rating.

Stats cannot represent anything when the sample taken is not from the same population. Every game is matched differently from player to player therefore it cannot be used to compare player performance.
Your point is somewhat but you've made a mistake in your conclusion.

You can compare two players in separate skill ratings. If someone has a 30% win rate at a 30 skill rating while another has a 50% win rating in the 80 skill range, it's safe to say the comparison is clear. Just because they are in different tiers doesn't mean you can't make the obvious comparison of "This guy loses more in a lesser tier" or "This guy wins more against tougher players".