How you feel about the new Overtime?

General Discussion
Sup people, Everything is all right?

Let's talk about the new Overtime system.

I personally don't like it, a lot of people hated the Overtime system, but i think it brings more emotion to some matches and it feels very good to contest the point and win the match or to defend against the attacking team after an intense Overtime.

After some little time on Overtime, the bar burns to quickly and it feels anti-climatic for me.

I really want to hear your thoughs on this.

Stay safe people ;)
For us normal people yes, the old one was better in my opinion.

But those that watched pro matches said it could last as long as the match itself lols.

I can see the problem :P.
I'd have preferred something more reliable. With the way the current system works there's this odd hard-limit that you can't really see while you're keeping the bar full, where if you get off of it for .00001s you'll just instantly lose.

I wanted a more basic system of >You now have 10 seconds more to cap the objective, any time one of you is touching the objective this freezes, any time none of you are touching it, this counts down.
The nerf to hero stacking effectively addressed overtime delaying pretty well I think. No more double tracer or d.va stacking. I think the overtime nerf in addition to prohibiting hero stacking probably wasn't necessary, but i'm not sure i really care either.

Extending overtime never felt fun on either side. I also don't think it was, or should be, an intended mechanic. I'm sure overtime was designed with the intention of allowing players to finish fighting for a point one last time. Not to continue spawning and swarming the point.
i think its perfect. Supposedly you lose when the time runs out, the purpouse of overtime is to let you finish your last push, when that extra time can be exploited to make that last push effectively endless even if your team is dying, you are abusing the system. I think now it should work a lot better as intended, as a way to let you finish that last push and that's it, if you fail the push you lost, you had your time and you couldn't make it, so its over man.
<--- Console

What new Overtime?! /sniff
the only thing i don't like about it is that you have to be on the objective way before the timer runs out now.

most of the time i know i was on the objective for a full second and that isn't good enough to prot overtime.
I still dont know why they didn't go with a refill system in the first place and just went with a "refresh" system.

It would have made more sense to have the OT timer tick back up when someone was on it. Then you wouldn't have the "just touch it and leave" aspect of overtime that was so potent...
I'd have preferred they went with the refill thing ComptonEMT just mentioned, or have a larger OT countdown that only pauses (not refreshes) while someone is contesting.

Either would be far more intuitive than respawn delays getting worse when the tension already makes the normal delay feel like an eternity, and the OT countdown not ticking down at a consistent rate.
<--- Console

What new Overtime?! /sniff

The patch notes are on the main website.

I'm glad to see that people like it, i liked the old system and already said why. But they need to hear the larger group of people.

The game still fun and that's what matters.
Good discussion! Hearing feedback on how Overtime is working is very helpful to us.

We did a few things to Overtime in the most recent patch. Nothing about the system is new -- we just retuned what was already there.

We always had a time at which OT would "speed up" (meaning the bar would burn down faster until it got very fast, thus making it harder to refresh). We made it so that OT ramps up much more quickly to this minimum burn down time. It's 20 seconds now where it used to be around 90 seconds previously.

We also adjusted the "slush" time we used to give characters who were on the point and then left the point in order to refresh overtime. We call this hysteresis. The hysteresis used to be set at 5 seconds. Meaning that if Tracer was on the point with 4 seconds to go, and then exited the point, the game would go into OT because Tracer was there "close enough" to allow for OT. We reduced this time to around 2 seconds after much internal testing. For the most part, you don't feel like you missed out on OT when you should have gotten it but also the game goes into OT less often because of this. This is significantly impactful on Control Maps.

These tuning changes plus a minor tuning change to respawn should overall make OT feel less likely to stall out but still retain our original goal of allowing for a final offensive push to finish out without the clock unexpectedly expiring.
I'm not sure I like it. While it's much better than before, it still feels a bit weird. When I first came to the game, I fully expected Overtime never to reset once all ennemies had been killed.
Hero stacking was a problem, but Blizzard has stated they want to keep it an open topic, which means Overtime is also an open topic.

I like it. Overtime is not when the game should begin, but where it should end.
I haven't run into an OT today to speak of but the old system definitely needed some work people would just switch to fast chars and charge the point over and over at some point it stops becoming "dramatic" and starts to become "exhausting". I'm all for OT as a concept and I'm hopeful this new system will do the trick and make me like it and KOTH again!
It wasn't fair having a point at 99% to 0% and then through overtime the enemy could take it all the way to victory at 99% to 100%.

I'm on console so I don't get to see the changes yet, but I'm sure it'll be better than the way it is now.
07/19/2016 06:01 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Good discussion! Hearing feedback on how Overtime is working is very helpful to us.

We did a few things to Overtime in the most recent patch. Nothing about the system is new -- we just retuned what was already there.

We always had a time at which OT would "speed up" (meaning the bar would burn down faster until it got very fast, thus making it harder to refresh). We made it so that OT ramps up much more quickly to this minimum burn down time. It's 20 seconds now where it used to be around 90 seconds previously.

We also adjusted the "slush" time we used to give characters who were on the point and then left the point in order to refresh overtime. We call this hysteresis. The hysteresis used to be set at 5 seconds. Meaning that if Tracer was on the point with 4 seconds to go, and then exited the point, the game would go into OT because Tracer was there "close enough" to allow for OT. We reduced this time to around 2 seconds after much internal testing. For the most part, you don't feel like you missed out on OT when you should have gotten it but also the game goes into OT less often because of this. This is significantly impactful on Control Maps.

These tuning changes plus a minor tuning change to respawn should overall make OT feel less likely to stall out but still retain our original goal of allowing for a final offensive push to finish out without the clock unexpectedly expiring.

Hey Jeff, is Competitive Discussion Section made to just be ignored? Mind if you answer some of these posts?
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747494767
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747484617
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745665969
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747474698
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747444596

It seems like the new patch !@#$ed everyone who plays Competitive. Gaining less than .2 out of 1 whole rating every game and losing about half a rating per loss.
I really think that this was a mistake, before this patch people chose quick heroes to get back to the point, now they can't do this any longer with the 1 hero limit. The coin flip feels cheap and so does this change that made it harder to take over the point in overtime. Overtime goes both ways, may the best team win, not the lucky ones that have captured the point before the overtime starts.

One fix for this would be to simply make it so that you need to be on the point for 2-3 seconds to contest it. Maybe the problem was just that it was way too easy to contest it, I mean, Tracer could just blink in and out to contest the point.
I still think overtime is stupid. I feel it should give one chance for the losing team to get on the point and take it. For example tracer puts one foot on the losing point. That starts a 15 second overtime that allows her team 15 seconds to retake the point or lose the round.

I hate that we can have the overtime bar at 1 percent and someone breathes on it and it goes back to full. That's bull!@#$. We won the round, the time is up. You shouldn't be able to switch to uber mobile heroes to extend the time hoping to get lucky by overloading the defenders.

just my opinion though.
It'll just take getting used to. My team was pushing payload in OT when a Junkrat activated his ult. We all backed away from the cart for a few seconds, because in our mind the OT fuse should have lasted 10 seconds. Instead we lost.
Not sure if it's intentional, but I'm regularly getting "OvertiVictory" or "OveDefeat" because overtime apparently activates, but the initial duration is some ridiculously small amount. As in, less than the time it takes to announce overtime.