Do not by Summer Games Loot Boxes

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 24 Next
I don't buy loot boxes. I won't ever buy them since it's all fluff you can earn free. But events like these aren't meant to hand out all the skins to anyone with cash. It's likely meant as a grind to keep people engaged with the game. Realistically, if anyone's first thought was to throw money at new skins rather than try to earn them through playing, that's kind of an issue unto itself. Not one to discuss here though.

They provided new content for people to earn. If whale's want to throw money at it for a greater chance at the -random- items, they have that right. Otherwise, no. It shouldn't be a cash grab where people who can spend $10/50/100 get whatever they want, and those who can't have to work for their loot boxes. What people want to gamble on is their choice though, and it's a genuinely fair way for Blizzard to continue making a profit, and with that, make more content for players to earn/use/etc.
08/02/2016 11:49 AMPosted by Redgrave
I have to urge each and every person who reads this to not buy the Summer Games Loot Boxes.

Anyone who's going to spend money on loot boxes probably already has. They don't listen to reason.

it should not have this kind of microtransaction system.

Stop crying. Paying for lootboxes is only an alternative way to get them, and Blizzard doesn't pressure you in any way to spend more than your initial $40. Microtransactions are only a problem when you NEED the items they're selling, or you can ONLY get them by spending real money. Overwatch doesn't do either of these things.

you were promised all future content in the game would be free of charge

Not sure if they actually said that all the content would be free, but I'm curious as to why you're bringing this up. Have they introduced some new secret content that you can only get by spending money that I'm not aware of?

all of these items should be purchasable with in-game currency to everyone at any time, not just for a limited period.

Are you kidding me? So you're saying that in 3 years, you should be able to purchase items created for the 2016 Summer games? Do you have any concept of seasonal stuff whatsoever? Please. Stop crying.

You're not even buying all this new content either, you're just buying the chance to get it

Sure, if you're stupid enough to buy lootboxes with money.

to add insult to injury, you can even get duplicates.

Did you only just start playing Overwatch today?

Think about it, is this what you want for the game? Barely two months after release and we're already being nickled and dimed? What kind of picture does that paint for the future? How much money do you think Blizzard is expecting to siphon out of your pocket in a couple years? If you buy these Loot Boxes you're just giving them all the reasons in the world to keep up this kind of practice, and as a consumer you deserve better than that.

[/quote]

You are very clearly delusional and paranoid. You're not being forced to buy anything. Stop crying.
08/02/2016 12:07 PMPosted by ValeriaLivia
08/02/2016 12:00 PMPosted by NastyNate01
You were not promised all future content would be free, you were promised new maps and new characters would be free.

Edit: Down vote me all you want, its the truth, sticking your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes while yelling NAH NAH NAH doesn't change it.

No, it was all content, period.

All the content is free though....
I always knew skins would be Blizz's moneymaker for the long term on the game, and I love it. I really dont like paid expansions that split the player base or paid heroes etc.
You were not promised all future content would be free, you were promised new maps and new characters would be free.

I don't want it to be free, I just want it to be reasonable to unlock. If I have to buy two bundles of lockboxes to get all 90 things, fine, I work to fund my hobbies. I also buy thousands of rounds of ammunition to shoot at paper for hours, so this would actually be one of the more reasonable ones.

Problem is with 90 items and the potential for duplicates, a few hundreds of lockboxes would be needed to get all the items.

That's not reasonable. At the very least these items should not duplicate. Getting small amounts of credits for a limited item you can't buy with credits is a punch in the *@@#@*%*.

I don't even feel like going through that. I'll open the free ones and probably stop buying lockboxes in general, and that sucks because I support micro-transactions when they're done properly.

This micro-transaction model, however, is amateurish and embarrassing to see from blizzard. It's something I'd expect from Perfect World or NcSoft.
I agree TC.

Some people are under the misconception that microtransactions will directly support the game. They do not. Your money isn't going to create new overwatch content.

it's going to the shareholders and bonus pay to blizzard employees

the game was all ready budgeted well in advance before it was released
08/02/2016 12:10 PMPosted by NagohShan
That's not reasonable. At the very least these items should not duplicate.

I disagree. This is the exact same system we're used to, it's just that the items will become unavailable soon.

I don't even feel like going through that. I'll open the free ones and probably stop buying lockboxes in general

Welcome to the world of being a rational consumer. I wish even a tiny fraction of the people crying right now had some concept of this.

I support micro-transactions when they're done properly.

I'm curious. If you think Blizzard is doing it wrong, then what constitutes microtransactions that are done correctly?

What kind of gun do you shoot by the way? I feel like it's pretty hard to find gun lovers on here.
eh, wasn't a big deal for me, spent $20 on boxes, got everything I wanted. No big deal
08/02/2016 12:07 PMPosted by ValeriaLivia

Edit: Down vote me all you want, its the truth, sticking your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes while yelling NAH NAH NAH doesn't change it.

No, it was all content, period.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/7/9864448/overwatch-will-receive-additional-heroes-and-maps-for-free

Read it and weep... you were NOT promised ALL CONTENT, you were ONLY promised NEW MAPS AND CHARACTERS
Please do not support this greed.
Just for that post OP, I'm going to buy 50.

I lied. I can't buy any, I'm broke.

I'll watch someone do it on YouTube and pretend it's me.

I don't want it to be free, I just want it to be reasonable to unlock. If I have to buy two bundles of lockboxes to get all 90 things, fine, I work to fund my hobbies. I also buy thousands of rounds of ammunition to shoot at paper for hours, so this would actually be one of the more reasonable ones.

Problem is with 90 items and the potential for duplicates, a few hundreds of lockboxes would be needed to get all the items.

That's not reasonable. At the very least these items should not duplicate. Getting small amounts of credits for a limited item you can't buy with credits is a punch in the *@@#@*%*.

I don't even feel like going through that. I'll open the free ones and probably stop buying lockboxes in general, and that sucks because I support micro-transactions when they're done properly.

This micro-transaction model, however, is amateurish and embarrassing to see from blizzard. It's something I'd expect from Perfect World or NcSoft.

That's fine, I don't have a problem with your opinion. I only have a problem with people peddling false info as fact. The guy I was replying to said that all future content was promised to be free, which is not the case, only new maps and characters.
I have to urge each and every person who reads this to not buy the Summer Games Loot Boxes.

Overwatch is not a Free to Play game, you paid $40 to own and play the game, it should not have this kind of microtransaction system. Not only that, but you were promised all future content in the game would be free of charge and Blizzard should adhere to their word, all of these items should be purchasable with in-game currency to everyone at any time, not just for a limited period.

You're not even buying all this new content either, you're just buying the chance to get it, one per Loot Box if I may add and to add insult to injury, you can even get duplicates.

Think about it, is this what you want for the game? Barely two months after release and we're already being nickled and dimed? What kind of picture does that paint for the future? How much money do you think Blizzard is expecting to siphon out of your pocket in a couple years? If you buy these Loot Boxes you're just giving them all the reasons in the world to keep up this kind of practice, and as a consumer you deserve better than that.

I can't stress this enough, do not support this business practice. Do not make this a success for Blizzard, speak with your wallets.

I should've upvoted you for writing the most quixotic post in the history of quixotic posts...but nah, I'm going to downvote you and say "quixotic" one more time.

Enjoy that windmill.
If OP (or any of you pitchfork carrying supporters) had a job with disposable income, this pointless thread would have never seen the light of day.

you guys are way too much sometimes.
Isn't it still technicallly free? Just time-limited and not purchasable with credits? If these skins were time-limited but buyable for like, 5000 credits, would that be okay?
It's cosmetics that do not effect the game at all.

Digital scarcity is a thing.
I just bought 100 boxes just to get "Nihon Genji" didn't get it. Money well spent.
08/02/2016 12:26 PMPosted by Levity
If OP (or any of you pitchfork carrying supporters) had a job with disposable income, this pointless thread would have never seen the light of day.

you guys are way too much sometimes.

I drive a go-kart fueled by the tears and broken dreams of these whining children. It goes VROOOM!!
08/02/2016 11:58 AMPosted by Terotrous
Unfortunately, whales cannot be stopped, and their whaling habits will justify this type of practice. Blizzard already knows it will be so successful that they've already guaranteed future events of this type.

The only answer is to actively quit the game rather than just not buying the boxes. The only time whales will stop whaling is when they have no one to show off their fancy items to.

Its true, and its precisely what I'm doing :(