21:9 Aspect Ratio Support Feedback, Part 6

General Discussion
Prev 1 17 18 19 26 Next
Just going to say something I said in a previous thread, and that is that Razer has officially branded Overwatch peripherals that are advertised to make you better at the game.

http://www.razerzone.com/licensed-and-team-peripherals/overwatch

But 21:9, noo, that's unfair.
07/26/2016 07:14 PMPosted by Cooly568
Just going to say something I said in a previous thread, and that is that Razer has officially branded Overwatch peripherals that are advertised to make you better at the game.

" Powered by extra-large, high-quality drivers, the Overwatch Razer ManO’War TE ensures audio cues like McCree’s Deadeye or Lucio’s Sound Barrier are heard with pinpoint precision so you can react accordingly. Critical moments like these are what make the difference between victory and defeat, so you want to make sure that you’re going into the fight with the right gear. "

OMG! You mean I've always been at a disadvantage because I don't have these special headphones?!
UP
To the top
07/26/2016 07:14 PMPosted by Cooly568

we already know Mice, gaming surfaces, mech keyboards, high refresh rate monitors, high end gaming rigs offer advantages over everyone else, it has been for years its why pros use that stuff but yet all of that is okay and 21:9 is the bad guy. At the end of the day its laziness not wanting to support a new technology and the advantage crap is just a easy way to not have to do it, no pro is going to take a 21:9 monitor over a high DPI mouse and surface.
07/26/2016 07:27 PMPosted by Aero41
" Powered by extra-large, high-quality drivers, the Overwatch Razer ManO’War TE ensures audio cues like McCree’s Deadeye or Lucio’s Sound Barrier are heard with pinpoint precision so you can react accordingly. Critical moments like these are what make the difference between victory and defeat, so you want to make sure that you’re going into the fight with the right gear. "

OMG! You mean I've always been at a disadvantage because I don't have these special headphones?!

And these are, you know, Blizzard sponsored.
But screw 21:9.
I really want to play more Overwatch and buy some loot boxes, but I just can't bring myself to do so. There are so many other games that support my hardware, why should I waste any more time on this one, with the way that the 21:9 community is being treated?

I'm done. I can't wait for another hero shooter to come out and steal OW's spotlight. I can grantee you that whatever game that is, it will support 21:9. Blizzard can make good games, but they don't seem to understand PC Gaming and new technology.

I hope I'll be proven wrong and can pick up OW again some day. But until that day comes, I'll stick to the plethora of other games in my Library that have perfect 21:9 support.
All the previous threads have been deleted. It is clear that it isn't an accident since I see threads that are way older than the deleted 21:9 threads which still exist on this forum. We can probably conclude that the quantity of posts on this subject as well as the blue posts on this subject are being swept under the rug to avoid potential problems in the future. I'm not really sure what problems they would be trying to avoid though.

The threads have been ToC safe, guideline safe and the OPs have been generally well written. There have been plenty of guideline violations made by bad posters that have not been corrected by moderators, yet the entirety of the threads have been deleted despite numerous well formed posts existing in them.
Bumping for visibility since the other posts have been deleted.
I hope that Blizzard takes this as seriously as we do, considering the MASSIVE amount of other things that give an advantage. Comparing those advantages to 21:9 aspect ratio is like comparing the advantage that aimbot gives vs ADS.
07/26/2016 10:24 PMPosted by Killnetic
All the previous threads have been deleted. It is clear that it isn't an accident since I see threads that are way older than the deleted 21:9 threads which still exist on this forum. We can probably conclude that the quantity of posts on this subject as well as the blue posts on this subject are being swept under the rug to avoid potential problems in the future. I'm not really sure what problems they would be trying to avoid though.

The threads have been ToC safe, guideline safe and the OPs have been generally well written. There have been plenty of guideline violations made by bad posters that have not been corrected by moderators, yet the entirety of the threads have been deleted despite numerous well formed posts existing in them.

It is all the bumping. It starts to seem like a petition, which is not what these forums are about. Anyways you are probably not going to get what you want anytime soon. Overwatch isn't the only game with these issues, and I sincerely doubt they ever give you the full FOV you are wanting because of both technical and competitive issues. It was never supported to begin with (people were enabling by editing hex values), and they never really intended it to be an option it seems.
07/26/2016 11:23 PMPosted by AlteredsEgo
07/26/2016 10:24 PMPosted by Killnetic

It is all the bumping. It starts to seem like a petition, which is not what these forums are about. Anyways you are probably not going to get what you want anytime soon. Overwatch isn't the only game with these issues, and I sincerely doubt they ever give you the full FOV you are wanting because of both technical and competitive issues. It was never supported to begin with (people were enabling by editing hex values), and they never really intended it to be an option it seems.

it was supported natively in the closed beta. They took it out, but you could still use it by hex editing in the open beta.

Also, these forums are made for feedback. Tons of people gave their feedback on the PTR version of 21:9, and that was ignored. They pushed it to the main game anyway.

Now people are giving their opinion on the forums and trying to draw attention to it because we are getting ignored, but our threads are getting deleted and we are being completely blown off.

Its extremely frustrating. I want my money back.
07/26/2016 11:23 PMPosted by AlteredsEgo
It is all the bumping.
Bumping is frowned upon in the forum guidelines and individual users should be corrected. The threads and their OPs obviously are trying to create an environment to contain pro-PC sentiment. There is zero good reason to nuke all of the threads then go "whoops" on the latest one when people get upset that it is missing.
Wouldn't mind 5760x1080 support either. BF4/1 looks great and I'm guessing Overwatch would look pretty darn good as well.
07/26/2016 11:30 PMPosted by Majora
it was supported natively in the closed beta. They took it out, but you could still use it by hex editing in the open beta.

Also, these forums are made for feedback. Tons of people gave their feedback on the PTR version of 21:9, and that was ignored. They pushed it to the main game anyway.

Now people are giving their opinion on the forums and trying to draw attention to it because we are getting ignored, but our threads are getting deleted and we are being completely blown off.

Its extremely frustrating. I want my money back.

Are you sure about that? I don't think it was ever supported in the beta the way you are asking for, or at least I can't find any record of it. Blizzard has been really resistant to ultra-wide monitors in all of their games (especially competitive ones), and this is no exception. Hence I don't think it is going to change.

"Yes. Unfortunately it doesn't support 21:9 aspect ratio like you might think. The option for 3440x1440 and 2560x1080 are there, but the game still only renders in a 16:9 box (black bars and all). The only rendered aspect ratios available are 16:9 and 16:10."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/3qgcxd/is_there_native_219_aspect_ratio_support_in/

And the forums are here for discussion more than anything else, that is why they are titled as such. In the beta days I do believe there was a forum specific to feedback, but it does not exist any longer. Regardless bumping is not feedback it is petitioning for a change; which is not really allowed under the CoC. People were warned about that (I saw posts where they were warned) and it continued so that is why the pulled the thread.

And they did not ignore you, they gave you a mode: you just are not happy with it. However, like I said I don't think you are ever going to get what you want because that was never actually supported. The only way people were getting that was by modding the game, which Blizzard also historically has never been keen on.
Firstly, i'm not sure about the beta. I got that information from other people in the now deleted threads. From what I read about the closed beta though it supported ultrawide resolutions fine, only getting pillarboxed after a little bit or when the open beta started. Thats when people started hex editing to get the functionality back. I could have misinterpreted.

Anyway.

These are the patch notes from when the shoddy 21:9 support was added into the game:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747185139

Notice at the very top it says to share your feedback in the general discussion forum.

Also I'm not talking about ignoring the 21:9 users completely, I am aware that they put a 21:9 mode into the game. You're right, I hate it. 400+ other people hate it too. They are ignoring our requests for a better implementation, and deleting our threads by trying to pull some "Oh you're violating the CoC" bs. If that's even what they are being deleted for, as we still haven't had an official statement. There were enough posts to warrant a revisit by the blues, regardless of the stance they took beforehand.

And of course its going to look petitioney if the developers don't give us a response. We can only make the same points and suggestions so many times before it starts getting very repetitive. I think they are ignoring us on purpose to give themselves a loophole in which they can delete the threads from the forums for "being a petition and violating the CoC"
07/27/2016 12:08 AMPosted by Majora
These are the patch notes from when the shoddy 21:9 support was added into the game:
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747185139

Notice at the very top it says to share your feedback in the general discussion forum.

Also I'm not talking about ignoring the 21:9 users completely, I am aware that they put a 21:9 mode into the game. You're right, I hate it. 400+ other people hate it too. They are ignoring our requests for a better implementation, and deleting our threads by trying to pull some "Oh you're violating the CoC" bs. If that's even what they are being deleted for, as we still haven't had an official statement. There were enough posts to warrant a revisit by the blues, regardless of the stance they took beforehand.

And of course its going to look petitioney if the developers don't give us a response. We can only make the same points and suggestions so many times before it starts getting very repetitive. I think they are ignoring us on purpose to give themselves a loophole in which they can delete the threads from the forums for "being a petition and violating the CoC"

Yeah, I guess it is more when you start doing 6 threads on the same topic that starts becoming more of an issue. Regardless I do sympathize with you to some degree even if I don't run a 21:9 screen. However, my view is you were never guaranteed full FOV ultra-widescreen support. The fact that they bowed to your wishes at all is a huge thing for Blizzard. Historically they have been known for being very unresponsive, and I guess they are trying to change that with Overwatch.

The issue is that there are technical and competitive concerns, and 400+ (I am sure there are more ultrawide users than that, but you are a minority) people out of a player base of several hundred thousand is a really hard thing to respond to. Also it is not like this is the only game to do this. CS:GO's menus are borked in 21:9 making it hard to play, same goes for DoTA2, TF2 had FOV viewmodel complaints. Basically this game and a lot like were never designed with those monitors in mind and so it causes all sorts of problems.

They gave you a mode, and if you don't like it... then just play in 16:9 or 16:10 like the rest of us. I know it is annoying, but very few games support 21:9 natively, and that is something you had to know when you bought that size monitor. And I think they would love to fix the issue if it were something easy to fix, but it isn't there are a lot of considerations to deal with here.
This is the post by Jeff guaranteeing ultra-wide support (from a now deleted thread, as if blizzard is trying to cover it's tracks now):
http://imgur.com/a/GG49S

No mention of low FOV, no mention of vert- implementations, just that they are working on it and it should be done by late July.

When I said 400+, I meant 400+ people are actively posting about it and trying to make a change. That doesn't include everyone who has an ultra-wide monitor.

The problems in the other games are just a byproduct of designing for PC. You can't design for everyone, but I'm all for giving the players the power to play how they want instead of trying to force everyone to play a similar way. That's very Apple of Blizzard and it doesn't sit well with me at all.

Also, from what I can see, there are no patch notes stating that 21:9 was to be removed from the game permanently until after it was released. It was a working feature, there should be no reason for players to expect it's removal. Also, all the people who bought the game when they announced 21:9 would be supported are probably feeling pretty cheated right now too.

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole shady business practice causes a class action lawsuit against blizzard. Not delivering on what was promised and not giving refunds is a terrible business practice, not to mention probably illegal.
They actually put this unplayable garbage zoomed 21:9 into the game, I can't believe it. gg
This is the post by Jeff guaranteeing ultra-wide support (from a now deleted thread, as if blizzard is trying to cover it's tracks now)....

That hardly seems like a smoking gun. I think there was plenty of media coverage of that post, so it is not like it has been erased either. They said they were working on it, and they never said what form that support would come in. They have always stressed there were some technical and competitive limitations there, and so you got a limited FOV. That exists in a lot of competitive games and leagues.

Also, from what I can see, there are no patch notes stating that 21:9 was to be removed from the game permanently until after it was released. It was a working feature, there should be no reason to suddenly disallow it. Also, all the people who bought the game when they announced 21:9 would be supported are probably feeling pretty cheated right now too.

It was working in the sense that is had black bars on the side. The game never offered full screen views in the beta closed or open as far as I can tell. If it had people wouldn't have been trying to hack in support when they could do that. That was managed through hex editing, and your monitor should have a mode to center the screen and put black bars there. You don't need the game to support that.

The problems in the other games is just a byproduct of designing for PC. You can't design for everyone, but I'm all for giving the players the power to play how they want instead of trying to force everyone to play a similar way. That's very Apple of Blizzard and it doesn't sit well with me at all....

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole shady business causes a class action lawsuit against blizzard. Not delivering on what was promised and not giving refunds is a terrible business practice, not to mention probably illegal.

Well I think that is part of the issue here. See the game was designed conjointly for PC and consoles (which are now just basically PCs with specialized hardware). The engines (minus probably some low level enhancements and extensions) are more or less the same, and they built that engine around 16:9 because that is what most people use and the only thing that is supported by consoles. It is a very interesting implementation as well, and it does some things (dynamically up/down scaling graphics based on performance load) that I have never seen other games do. It also seems to be very predictive in both its netcode and rendering. They pre-render elements it seems before they enter into the players field of view for example.

That is part of the technical side that they cited when the mentioned some of the limitations related to 21:9. The game is designed with 16:9 in mind and it may not be possible to induce ultra-widescreen gaming in the way that you want without having graphical glitches and such. That is why the screen looks so zoomed in with the fix. They are basically having the engine still render in 16:9, but expanding it so that it fits in your window.

And if anyone tried to sue them they would lose. They never said they would support it, and then they bowed to community pressure and gave you mode, but it is not just what you wanted. They never explicitly said how the FOV would be set or what "we are working on it" actually means. As you were not promised anything, then you can't sue for a false bill of goods. And again the only ultra-wide mode supported in the beta was one where there were bars on the side, so anyone that has a 21:9 monitor should have looked into that before buying the game.

And while I understand there are some people that are annoyed over this, even if there was a better way to provide the support you want: for every 21:9 user that wants support implemented there are an equal number (most likely a great deal more) 16:9 players that don't want it implemented because they feel like it gives you a competitive advantage... and Blizzard has to listen to those people as well. What you have now is a compromise, and all you can really do I think is accept it, move on, and hope maybe they add better support later; because as of right now I don't see this changing.