Motion sickness after playing OW

General Discussion
Hi,

I played OW yesterday and after about 3 hours I felt pretty ill from motion sickness. I have never experienced motion sickness from playing computer games before. Although I know I can get motion sickness when driving in the back of a car. I still feel ill and have problems with reading because I start to feel queasy again.
I learned in the 21:9 thread that a lot of people got ill because of the 21:9 support that Billard has introduced to OW lately. They argued that FOV of 103° is not enough for 21:9.
I actually play with 16:9 and 103°, still I got this problem. Not as quickly like from playing in 21:9 but it was pretty bad after a few hours. Everything seems to be to close in OW. Like you are zoomed in too much. I feel that makes me ill.

I found this information on the internet that confirms the argument of to low fov gives motion sickness:
http://pyroteq.com/field-of-view-first-person-shooters/

Also I found this summary:
With the aspect ratio of 4:3 the optimal FoV would be 90°.
With wider screens the FoV can be comfortably cranked up: 100°-110°.
Lower FoVs shouldn't be used for several reasons:
•Low FoV feels unnatural;
•Low FoV limits what a player can see;
•Low FoV is unrealistic;
•Low FoV can cause motion sickness (arguably, the most important reason);

I have played a lot of WOT. There I can use 120° FOV with 21:9 which worked fine for me. Never got motion sick even after full days of gaming.

Does anybody else has the same experience with OW?
I know Blizzard has no plan to increas FOV over 103 but may they reconsider if they know people get ill from playing the game?
Do you have any suggestions how to improve my game settings to avoid motion sickness?

KR
Fleckenzwerg
I've never experienced motion sickness in OW, but I did experience it in the Metro games. Try pushing the monitor back more, or try moving back more if that's possible with your setup. I'm not sure if there's much you can do since you already play at 16:9 with max FoV. Good luck with fixing your problem.
I have a friend who has this same problem. It's a major reason he's never gotten in to fps games.

If you really want to play though, try to avoid anything sweet or fatty before playing. Sugar and oil can actually promote and aggravate feelings of nausea caused by motion sickness.

Another way is to focus on a stationary object, such as the targeting reticule.
There's a possibility the nausea is cognitive, meaning you look at the moving environment on the screen but your brain thinks it should be moving, and the disparity causes the nausea. Focusing on the reticule as something stationary instead of the moving background may help you.
If you played World of Tanks (assuming that's what you mean by WoT), which actually lets you see the tank as its moving, you have your tank as a prominent point of reference for motion so it's not the same as a first-person perspective.

A final quick solution is just to turn your lights up. Dim lighting is popular to focus attention on the screen, but it can cause eye strain, headaches, and nausea as well.

Tell us if any of those tricks work. It should make the game bearable, although I don't expect you to go on a 24-hour binge.
Overwatch on PC has not low FoV, if you get sick with Overwatch you can't play FPS's, period.
Playing a new FPS has always given me motion sickness initially but it eventually goes away. Oddly OW didn't give me any motion sickness and I hadn't played an FPS in over a year.
I have a friend with a very similar issue. He never has been able to get into FPS games for that reason. About 20 minutes and he wants to puke. Never has a problem with car racing games and such though.
I agree 100%, the FoV is way too low.

Keep in mind that FoV in overwatch is measured horizontally, so 103horizontal is around 71 degrees in games that measure fov vertically (tf2, rainbow 6 siege, ...).
Thank you very much for the advice and the detailed answers! I will try if it works. Probably having better ambient light is the first to try and pushing the monitor a bit back. I will report on what has helped.

I realy like this game a lot and hope I can play it without problems.

Thanks again!
07/22/2016 10:44 AMPosted by eemil
I agree 100%, the FoV is way too low.

Keep in mind that FoV in overwatch is measured horizontally, so 103horizontal is around 71 degrees in games that measure fov vertically (tf2, rainbow 6 siege, ...).

Do you know how FOV in OW compares to CS:GO? Because I do not get any problems with that game too.
It's strange, I started feeling motion sickness after the first few games after the last patch. I think I solved it by lowering my mouse sensitivity. I had it at like 40, and for some reason after the patch, it seemed like the intensity of the sensitivity increased? I don't know it might be those decimal points threw it off?
Goodness, that sounds awful. I'm very lucky to never have experienced motion sickness. I can't help you with technical things, but if you continue feeling ill I've heard that ginger (including ginger ale, tea and tablets) work wonders for motion sickness as well as vertigo.

I hope you feel better and can get back into the game soon!
I actually play with 80 FOV because I prefer to be closer to characters. No motion sickness for me.

Perhaps the light in the room is causing problems? Maybe glare on your screen? Or, maybe you play in the dark?
My old school buddy has this issue and it is so bad that he cannot play any FPS games at all. It's sometimes just an unfortunate lifelong circumstance, and sadly the only solutions include heavy medication and less exposure to such games or activities that can cause it.

I feel for you, my friend. It sucks.
Hi,

I may have found the reason for the motion sickness. I tested overclocking my screen yesterday. So instead of 60 Hz it was running at 85 Hz but as I found out now it caused slight stutter and flickering which I did not notice yesterday.
Never the less I tested some changes to the grafic setting to make the game look a bit more clean.

I like to share the settings I found to return a bit back to you. I have to translate the settings to english so I might name them differently:
Grafic details: Low (Important because it removes the blurr effect on the start screen)
Render Scaling: 100%
Texture detail: High
Texture filter quality: Epic
Nebular quality: Low (it looks a bit less foggy that way)
Dynamic reflections: Off (I gained 50 fps by disabling it)
Shadow quality: Off (has to be off or the blurr effect on the start screen comes back)
Model detail: Ultra
Effect detail: Low
Lighting quality: Ultra
Anti aliasing: High
Light scatering details: Low (If I remember correctly I gained 15 fps)
Screen shot quality: 1
Surrounding Reflexions: On
Ambient Occlusion: Off (seems to look cleaner that way)

Dispite the game still looks pretty good I get 160 fps and it looks a bit cleaner to me. Especially the start screen gave me headaches with the strong background blurr.

Thank you again for your help and compassion. I will try the new settings and keep your tips in mind. Already moved the screen a bit away and turned on the light :) So hopefully I can play now without getting ill again!
Awesome to hear Fleck. Hope to see you online.
Yesterday I played about 12 hours without a problem. Most of the time I was playing soldier. Today after maybe 2 hours of Tracer I sweat and feel ill again. Maybe it is the stuff that is happening on the screen or it is the strange zoomed in view you have. I think I have to stick to the slower heros then. Hopefully another equally good fps game with a better FOV will come out.
Or maybe you shouldn't be playing anything for 2 hours nonstop? Maybe something else is going on?

12 hours of gaming? Dude. That could be any half a dozen responses to doing anything for 12 hours straight.
I'm vastly affected by low FOVs in game. When I play something with a low FOV, I lose my !@#$ few minutes into the game. On consoles it's especially bad, because they often have low FOVs by default.

Overwatch however at 103 didn't bother me all too much.
Which heroes are you playing? Some heroes have stupidly big weapon models, which makes the FOV seem narrower than she actually is. Reaper is a big offender in that regard, I think. Or at least he was for me, when I was using any crosshair other the default one. The default one is very big and allows you to focus on it, and only it. That makes the narrow FOV (due to the big gun models) easier to digest.
07/24/2016 12:45 PMPosted by Bio
I'm vastly affected by low FOVs in game. When I play something with a low FOV, I lose my !@#$ few minutes into the game. On consoles it's especially bad, because they often have low FOVs by default.

Overwatch however at 103 didn't bother me all too much.
Which heroes are you playing? Some heroes have stupidly big weapon models, which makes the FOV seem narrower than she actually is. Reaper is a big offender in that regard, I think. Or at least he was for me, when I was using any crosshair other the default one. The default one is very big and allows you to focus on it, and only it. That makes the narrow FOV (due to the big gun models) easier to digest.

I think I have problems with Tracer in the first pace, which is realy sad. I love that character and the game mechanics of her.
Reinhard is probably to most easy to play character for people with that problem because you are most of the time holding up the shield. Never got problems with him.
Soldier is still ok for me and D.VA is also ok. Probably most of the other character except Genji should be fine.

I will try to use a bigger cross hair, though.