21:9 Aspect Ratio Support Feedback, Part 7

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 26 Next
07/31/2016 12:10 PMPosted by Ximus
Nooooo you are not here to irritate...
But pls...
all online games balance according to the ping , the tolerated differences are very high,40ms of difference+suppose 30 ms of general imput lag of difference of hardware = for hypothesis a 70 ms of difference between 2 players,to be generous...but what are you speaking!!!

Well that is part of the reason that the game does so much predictive stuff in terms of its netcode. Two members of the Overwatch development team, lead engineer Tim Ford and senior engineer Philip Orwig, explain some of it in this video. But basically what you are seeing and shooting at on your screen is not totally live always, the game has an internal buffer that uses simulations to predict player movement. This simulation is fed data from the server that keeps it updated (which is why the servers can run at 20 ticks and the game can still be smooth). With regards to firing it favors the shooter in terms of the outcome of a confrontation (in most cases), but the server is used to determine if a shot actually hit or not when it checks the actual player actions (for potential mitigation) against the simulated data. (The fact the game is running a predictive engine constantly whenever you are playing is also why the game is CPU intensive.)

It is kind of weird but neat to hear them explain some of it and how their attempts at this differ from other FPS games.

https://youtu.be/vTH2ZPgYujQ?t=2m17s

And here is where they talk about how your connection is factored into your matchmaking.

https://youtu.be/vTH2ZPgYujQ?t=14m43s

I don't know if you have watched that before, but to me at least it is pretty interesting, and that is where some of my comments regarding the predictive elements of the game come from.
+1 for 21:9 support
Is anyone actually using the currently supported 21:9? I'm not, ill stick to 16:9 with black bars until it's "fixed".
Uh oh...Battleborn perhaps coming free to play(full support 21:9)It is given that evolves has made ​​a million players in 2 days...blizz sooner or later you pay for your arrogance!
07/31/2016 01:25 PMPosted by Norn
Is anyone actually using the currently supported 21:9? I'm not, ill stick to 16:9 with black bars until it's "fixed".

I don't know why anyone would, it's absolutely horrible and much worse than just dealing with the black bars. But I'm not dealing with the black bars either. I haven't touched the game since they added the 21:9 "fix" and I won't again until they properly support the aspect ratio.

They got my money, good for them, but they won't get anymore.
Again Blizz, c'mon
Remember to contribute to the actual conversation please.

Bumping over and over is probably what got the last 6 threads deleted.

Bumping = blizz plz, bump, blzplz.
All they have to do is disable it for tourneys. Aaaaaand fixed.
You're welcome Blizz.
It's depressing and a bit insane how something so harmless in every other game has become a huge point of contention here. Oh well. I give up caring about Overwatch ever receiving proper 21:9 support or even an fov slider increase for all.

Just hope and pray that Overwatch's popularity and their misguided and misinformed stance on the matter doesn't mean that poor 21:9 support like this will start to carry over to future games from other developers. That would be awful. Although as long as other games allow normal field of view settings above 103 then it shouldn't be much of an issue.
07/31/2016 06:19 PMPosted by pyide
Just hope and pray that Overwatch's popularity and their misguided and misinformed stance on the matter doesn't mean that poor 21:9 support like this will start to carry over to future games from other developers. That would be awful. Although as long as other games allow normal field of view settings above 103 then it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Don't worry. Other developers don't live in 2006 anymore and know where PC gaming hardware is heading and how to serve paying customers.

This is just a whiny Blizzard team swimming in a sea of depressive project Titan tears. I cannot take Jeff with his hangdog look in his blog vids serious. This guy has no idea what he is doing. 20Hz, the worst ranked and MM ever made, the stupid idea of hero stacking, cool abilities like stuns. Heck this guy better starts a career at McDonalds.
Still no playn the game. Blizz please fix 21:9 cuz it's making people sick :(
Really crazy idea I know, but maybe don't buy something that was deliberately made a certain way with full public disclosure and then demand that the company change it after the fact?

I dunno, I'm weird though.
07/31/2016 10:49 PMPosted by Transistor
Really crazy idea I know, but maybe don't buy something that was deliberately made a certain way with full public disclosure and then demand that the company change it after the fact?

This "full public disclosure" you speak of is found here: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747185139

And it reads: "Added 21:9 aspect ratio support". Not "Cropped and stretched 16:9 to fit 21:9 screens"
07/31/2016 01:25 PMPosted by Norn

Same here, it was too big of a disadvantage to use the 21:9 "support" plus it gave me a headache. I just use the 16:9 aspect right now when I play.
07/31/2016 11:06 PMPosted by Hideaki
07/31/2016 10:49 PMPosted by Transistor

This "full public disclosure" you speak of is found here: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747185139

And it reads: "Added 21:9 aspect ratio support". Not "Cropped and stretched 16:9 to fit 21:9 screens"

The game came out July 19th?

Came out in May here in the States. Maybe a time zone thing?
This is the first weekend I didn't play overwatch.. I'm a working adult with a kid so I normally jump at any chance to play. Playing at 16:9 with black bars really kills the beauty of the game.
07/29/2016 03:36 AMPosted by dar3255
I'm sure I'll get down voted for this, but I don't care. Most people are 16:9, and I 100% agree with Jeff that granting 21:9 a higher field of view would give it an unfair advantage. Even giving 16:9 the ability to fishbowl to get the same field of view would still put it at a disadvantage; aiming is harder/less precise this way.

Jeff, please do not cave into these threads. Nothing is stopping 21:9 people from having the black bars on their screen so that they use the same 16:9 ratio that the rest of us do. Many people like and support the field of view exactly how it is; do not change it.

yeah and faster refresh rate, higher DPI mice, mech keyboard, high end gaming rigs would also give major advantages but yet I am sure you are fine with all those right? so tired of these trolls.
the only rule of fight club ?
No 21:9 !
:D :D :D ridiculous
I just played cliff bleszinski's new game Law Breakers over the weekend and its a indie game in alpha and it fully support 21:9, and its nearly Identical to overwatch minus the blizzard charm and personality of the heros and is planned to be a E sport. Sorry blizzard but your stupid !@# excuse just doesn't pull any weight anymore when more and more studios and games are supporting 21:9..
Shows how much blizzard really cares if they won't even respond, so disappointing that I rarely play OW anymore as they don't put any effort into this clearly.