21:9 Support: Dizziness

Bug Report
This is a serious issue for me.
Add my voice,this inplementation is a real bad idea,need diagonal FOV cut.
Is Blizzard really ignoring that one of their implementation causes physical illness to their customers? Any comment would be appreciated!
I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

As someone who owns a 24" 144hz 1080p screen, an LG 60hz 34" ultra wide 21:9, and an Eizo 27" 60hz 2560x1440 screen, I'd like to see Blizzard provide us of proof that 21:9 ultrawides are "cheats" or unfair advantages with a larger than 103 degree FOV.

Until they can show me 10 of the top 20 ranked compy players using these screens exclusively, I can't agree with this nebulous assertion that these screens provide any tangible advantage, or an advantage MORE than a 144hz 1080p or 1440p screen with ultra low motion blur built in.

Please fix it, let us try it in QP for now, and we figure it out in the future.
08/10/2016 03:01 AMPosted by Ego
Is Blizzard really ignoring that one of their implementation causes physical illness to their customers? Any comment would be appreciated!

The decision to buy an extreme-aspect monitor was not Blizzard's negligence. It would be nice to be able to tweak the fov but accusing Blizzard of wantonly injuring players is a little extreme.

No matter how you do it, shoehorning a roughly spherical field of view into a very skinny rectangle causes distortion, which affects everyone's perception differently.
The giant viewmodels can easily be considered a bug.
I get a headache and dizzy after using the 21:9 aspect ratio on Overwatch. No other game causes this to happen. This is a bug that needs to be fixed.
08/10/2016 07:50 AMPosted by Stickyfox
The decision to buy an extreme-aspect monitor was not Blizzard's negligence.

Here's the thing, a lot of people (no, I am not one) bought either the game, the monitor, or both after Blizzard stated that they would add support for 21:9 monitors. Upon finally receiving the "support," these people felt like they were lied to and/or ripped off. Many of them asked for refunds, but many more loved the game too much to do so.

So... the decision by Blizzard to say they would support his "extreme-aspect" monitor was their negligence.

The way Blizzard are handling the matter is what is so insulting. They should have never said they were going to add 21:9 in the first place, then no one would feel let down. If they want everyone to shut up about it, they can just remove the option and say 21:9 is not allowed. Then, the last bit of hope for it will die out and everyone will just leave. That'll be a sad ending to the story though.

The decision to buy an extreme-aspect monitor was not Blizzard's negligence. It would be nice to be able to tweak the fov but accusing Blizzard of wantonly injuring players is a little extreme.

No matter how you do it, shoehorning a roughly spherical field of view into a very skinny rectangle causes distortion, which affects everyone's perception differently.

Hey, thanks for your comment and feedback! Let me comment it as well though.

You might call it "extreme aspect", but by your definition of "extreme" I'd rather not know about your lifestyle! Jokes aside, there's indeed a negligence, which you will find reading the changelog: "21:9 support added". Some view that makes the strongest stomach throw up is not what you should call a support, and that's exactly what it is about, as very well explained by our buddy @Glede :).

Indeed putting a spherical field in a rectangle causes distortion, and you can't unfold a sphere in a plane in an easy and successful way, that's a mathematical problem I'm well aware of and everybody will be with you on that if you want to talk about geometry. But that's not what this is about. You can actually provide an implementation with which everything looks nice and you don't throw up. Don't believe me? Well, we're probably too far away to come over to my place for me to show it to you on my monitor, but if you find an UW, try literally EVERY FREAKING OTHER MODERN AND NOT-SO-MODERN GAME! :D

Thanks again for dropping by and I hope to have convinced you, somehow, on why we are asking for it the way we are asking for it and calling it a negligence etc.

Best regards,
Weighing in to say that 21:9 in overwatch gives me nausea.
Any response for the people that are getting sick trying to use this implementation?
Bumping so we can get this bug fixed.

If their stance is "We've implemented 21:9 support, just with an FOV cap," then they either lied or the current support is indeed very buggy and needs fixing.

Time to add it to the Known Issues List.
It's too late guys, give it up.

Blizzard already closed the JIRA ticket on this, as far as they're concerned the case is closed.

I've not played the game since the Ana update. I've already uninstalled the game, and as soon as I'm done making this post I'll be removing the authenticator from my smartphone. OW is the last Bliz game I buy for sure.
08/15/2016 06:22 PMPosted by yellowfox

Blizzard already closed the JIRA ticket on this, as far as they're concerned the case is closed.

So there was one in the first place? And does anyone have proof of this?
Bump this because it's ridiculous that blizz is ignoring us. When are going to be max fps 30? Because they are players with 30fps a we dont want to put them on disadvantage list right? Or players without mechanical keyboard or pro-gaming mouse or pro-gaming headset or fresh air.
08/10/2016 01:53 PMPosted by Ego

Hey, thanks for your comment and feedback! Let me comment it as well though.

You might call it "extreme aspect", but by your definition of "extreme" I'd rather not know about your lifestyle! Jokes aside, there's indeed a negligence, which you will find reading the changelog: "21:9 support added". Some view that makes the strongest stomach throw up is not what you should call a support, and that's exactly what it is about, as very well explained by our buddy @Glede :).

Indeed putting a spherical field in a rectangle causes distortion, and you can't unfold a sphere in a plane in an easy and successful way, that's a mathematical problem I'm well aware of and everybody will be with you on that if you want to talk about geometry. But that's not what this is about. You can actually provide an implementation with which everything looks nice and you don't throw up. Don't believe me? Well, we're probably too far away to come over to my place for me to show it to you on my monitor, but if you find an UW, try literally EVERY FREAKING OTHER MODERN AND NOT-SO-MODERN GAME! :D

Thanks again for dropping by and I hope to have convinced you, somehow, on why we are asking for it the way we are asking for it and calling it a negligence etc.

Best regards,

The thing that confuses me is that I play with a roommate who uses 21:9 and he has no complaints.

I think there's quite a bit of uniqueness to each player's visual and perceptive impression of the visuals in this game. I know that when I trained on the M1A1 tank simulator at Ft Knox, the civilian operating my simulator had to take three breaks to overcome vertigo from watching my performance on a dinky little 13" LCD, while I was dying to keep going and even had an opportunity to glitch out of the map. 3D effects a lot of people that way, especially when there's no corresponding proprioceptive or motion stimulus to go along with it. As a computer hardware design engineer with a thing for graphics, I have used pretty much all the VR systems that ever existed, back to the 80s, and never had a problem with motion sickness. Some of my friends had to change careers because of it tho.

I believe that the phenomenon exists, but I don't believe in needlessly punishing the people who push the limits of technology for the better (or the entertainment) of everyone. Sometimes there are drawbacks. The game has a lot of other areas that need work before Blizzard spends any effort on tweaking a minority use case IMO.

If it's truly the case that a simple tweak to FOV would fix everything, I'd love to read the analysis of this.. but given that everyone's monitor is a different size, I'm not sure there's a "sweet spot" that will fix it for everyone.

I totally reject the theory that it would create a biased playing field by allowing some users to see more. Some users have better graphics cards, higher resolution, better internet connection, higher-quality mice, etc. You can't guarantee the world a fair online experience to begin with.

Oh, and if Blizzard uses JIRA, then I guarantee there are at least three more tickets for the same thing that are still open!
The problem is still there. As soon as I play with my monitor's resolution, I feel sick and need to throw up. And it's not just me.

Come on, as your customers we deserve at least a short answer to this topic!

Best regards,