Please Fix Fan the Hammer

General Discussion
While it looks really cool and feels unique, there is little to no reason to ever use Fan the Hammer. A skilled McCree is better off using only left-click and an unskilled McCree is better off using Reaper or Roadhog for close quarters combat.

I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding McCree's recent buff, but that is not a good reason to leave an ability in such a state of un-use. I think it's a real shame to have such an iconic ability serve no real role in this game. Blizzard has done a really good job giving heroes excellent kits that mesh well together, but Fan the Hammer, in its current state, feels very out of place.
07/24/2016 04:31 PMPosted by Ramiel
While it looks really cool and feels unique, there is little to no reason to ever use Fan the Hammer. A skilled McCree is better off using only left-click and an unskilled McCree is better off using Reaper or Roadhog for close quarters combat.

I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding McCree's recent buff, but that is not a good reason to leave an ability in such a state of un-use. I think it's a real shame to have such an iconic ability serve no real role in this game. Blizzard has done a really good job giving heroes excellent kits that mesh well together, but Fan the Hammer, in its current state, feels very out of place.

I'm expecting them to boost the RPM, but not the damage. If it is the damage, it'll likely be a tiny, tiny amount like 3 or 5.
07/24/2016 04:40 PMPosted by SwolePatrol

I'm expecting them to boost the RPM, but not the damage. If it is the damage, it'll likely be a tiny, tiny amount like 3 or 5.

A rate of fire boost would be a welcomed change. At the moment, McCree's left click can achieve a higher burst damage on headshots than Fan the Hammer, while also saving ammo.
You're trolling right? Fan the hammer is excellent if you use it when you're supposed to. You need to learn how to McCree more thoroughly, no offense. If you have McCree skills, you could be even better if you learn how to get kills with fan the hammer.

Having said that, I do not support this post. Fan the hammer is great.
Make FTH more accurate and fire quicker.
/thread
07/24/2016 05:47 PMPosted by FrayHavoc
You're trolling right? Fan the hammer is excellent if you use it when you're supposed to. You need to learn how to McCree more thoroughly, no offense. If you have McCree skills, you could be even better if you learn how to get kills with fan the hammer.

It's well known that Fan the Hammer has been bad since it's nerf. It used to provide good burst damage at close range, but headshots actually outdamage it. You can no longer kill flankers like Reaper with it because the stun from Flashbang wears off before fatal damage is dealt and they can escape with Wraithform/Recall/Reflect.

No skilled McCree has a use for Fan the Hammer since it is outclassed by his left click at all ranges. Just watch the pro streams from this week. They rarely, if ever use Fan the Hammer.
07/24/2016 06:02 PMPosted by Ramiel

It's well known that Fan the Hammer has been bad since it's nerf. It used to provide good burst damage at close range, but headshots actually outdamage it. You can no longer kill flankers like Reaper with it because the stun from Flashbang wears off before fatal damage is dealt and they can escape with Wraithform/Recall/Reflect.

No skilled McCree has a use for Fan the Hammer since it is outclassed by his left click at all ranges. Just watch the pro streams from this week. They rarely, if ever use Fan the Hammer.

Blah blah blah I use fan the hammer every game and get kills with it. Play better, stop whining, learn McCree.

Ahaha, you're joking right?
07/24/2016 07:53 PMPosted by Razeluxe

Ahaha, you're joking right?

Thank you.
How to counter flankers with mcree:
step 1) body shot/head shot the flanker before they jump on you
Step 2) stun them once the've jumped you
step 3) fth
step 4) profit

If the flanker surprises you fth roll fth. It works for me at least. My SR is only 57 though. So i'm not amazing by any means. But it seems like Bliz's intent with the buff was to allow you to saftely keep flankers away entirely by killing them from a distance or at least wounding them before they jump on you. Then you can gain the immediate advantage with a stun and finish them.

Plus stun, fth, roll, fth is still one of the highest burst damage combos in the game. So you can still some what deal against a tank by yourself.

I'm not really against a fth buff. I've seen some suggestions i'd be fine with. But I personally don't believe it needs one.
I play on console, and it works fine. I think its meant to be a tool as a last resort, not a "hey let me just kill this Winston real quick, gg ez". In other words relying on spray and pray to kill over accuracy just seems a bit stupid.
They should increase its accuracy so that it never misses a small hero at close range.
FTH is situation like picking off multiple low hp heroes. that's all it does not need a buff.
07/24/2016 08:25 PMPosted by Beetle
I play on console, and it works fine. I think its meant to be a tool as a last resort, not a "hey let me just kill this Winston real quick, gg ez". In other words relying on spray and pray to kill over accuracy just seems a bit stupid.

No one is asking for it to kill tanks. I just want it to kill flankers reliably like it's supposed to.
I think maybe a good idea would be if fth was with a second gun, so it didn't share ammo.