Gold medal for deaths

General Discussion
If you press tab in game you can see how many gold medals you have, and if you look next to the Deaths counter there is an empty circle for a medal there, but there are no medals for Deaths.

Why not? I think it would help if people had more incentive to not die, chaining deaths is probably the most common mistake in Overwatch. I know it might encourage camping/playing too safe, but in quick play I think it will help more than it would hurt, and in competitive good teams wont care about medals.

Gold being the least amount of deaths, obviously, not the most.
That's a very big assumption there when you say "in competitive good teams wont care about medals." lol

They should just get rid of empty circle.
In theory it makes sense to reward people who are not dying, but I can definitely see it evolving into people becoming competitive about deaths. Certainly every player should avoid death if possible, but incentivizing a low death count will just make people not want to take risks or actually engage in the objective since in the back of their head they've now got this other pointless-but-still-need-to-be-best-at-thing to consider.
I think I would get too many gold metals for Death. hehe
I'd be OK with that. Would make for a nice card to earn at the end - gold in eliminations and deaths - especially for DPS players.
The last thing I want is people being too afraid to die for the objective because "I have gold deaths bro" or people camping because they need their een-peen stroked.
There's no point rewarding a low death count if you didn't do anything else noteworthy. But if you don't die, and get a lot of kills, that's what the killstreak card is for.
I've always found it odd that deaths were on the left side of the panel when they don't grant medals. Move it to the right side IMO.
I think they don't give medal for low death is for a greater good.

I mean, it's a fun team game that requires alot of brawl, teamwork and sacrifice.

Yes, some of you have mentioned the positive side of giving medal for low death count.

But think of the negative side, giving incentive of not dying have some serious issue. Might turn into a wuss game guys.

I think fun happens when people risk for rewards , go in and kill people .
Imagine in a game where people actually wants to earn more medal , including the lowest death count . They do not want to risk it. Imagine that .
Honestly I believe they should give gold for who has the MOST deaths, not the least.

And a card too! its always good to know who sat in spawn the longest.
We used to give a medal for fewest deaths. We ran into a few issues with doing it. The first was confusion. Players were consistently confused as to whether the medal was for most or fewest deaths. I believe this problem was easily solvable. The second issue had to do with weird behaviors that some players felt compelled to do based on their desire to receive the medal. The medal was ok if it just served as a reflection of what players were already doing. But doing weird things (like hiding back at the spawn room) to get the medal drove too much bad behavior so we removed it.
10/20/2016 08:18 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
But doing weird things (like hiding back at the spawn room) to get the medal drove too much bad behavior so we removed it.

To be honest, there are a lot of other things in this game driving bad behavior, and those aren't touched.

For example, seeing medals at all drives people to play bad picks and bring up that they have "gold damage" or whatever as attack Bastion for example, when all they've been doing is shooting Ice walls and barriers.

Or "gold eliminations" when they have 30 elims, but only 3-4 final blows.
Highly Rated
10/20/2016 08:22 AMPosted by PoohTJ
We used to give a medal for fewest deaths. We ran into a few issues with doing it. The first was confusion. Players were consistently confused as to whether the medal was for most or fewest deaths. I believe this problem was easily solvable. The second issue had to do with weird behaviors that some players felt compelled to do based on their desire to receive the medal. The medal was ok if it just served as a reflection of what players were already doing. But doing weird things (like hiding back at the spawn room) to get the medal drove too much bad behavior so we removed it.

Disregards all the recent hate threads, focuses on threads from nearly 3 months ago.
its almost like he just got to work and responding to toxicity isn't his favorite way to start the morning.
There shouldn't be medals for deaths for the good reason that people already camp enough even though it's an game centering around objective. It's already hard enough to get in a game with people that will actually group up, or even just get on the freakin' objective sometimes. I'm seriously tired of seeing some people close to the objective not getting on it even though we'll lose if they don't. There should however be medals for blocking damage, so that more people pick tanks.
I can see the confusion people would have with there being a medal there since it may cause players to not really focus on the objective more and worry too much about. "How many deaths do I have? Can I spare one death by running in to try and take the objective" Kind of glad they kept it out. If it was in, it may also promote K/D ratios to those who tend to try focusing more on that than again, playing the objective.
The medal should be a balance between eleminations and deaths, for example, if you have 30 eleminations and only 3 deaths you should be rewarded with medals. 3 kills and 0 deaths shouldnt. That way you could not get goldmedal by hiding in spawn with 0 deaths and 0 eleminations. Done! :)

That was definiatly the right decision Jeff, earning XP for just hiding in spawn would just be stupid. Thanks!
Does # of deaths factor into other things, like getting a card at end of match.

Within the last week or 2, playing junkrat I got in 1 match golds in elims, damage done, and something else I couldn't remember- 3 golds.

But I also died probably 12 times and I didn't get a card so I'm guessing that's why. Does that really mean I played bad?

So many players camp out behind tanks at chokes rather than work their way around them because they'll be separated from a healer. There needs to be something to encourage more aggressive play.