Summer Summer Games: Dear Blizzard, I'll save you some time.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next
Im furious. Got two summer lootboxes by levelling up, but in both all I got was two voice lines marked as summer itens. If we check the summer itens list, most of them are voice lines. Thats a good way to make the whole thing a huge farse.
It is the first day of the event people. you will have more than enough time to get loot boxes. i got 2 today playing maybe 5 hours. get over yourselves. I like the fact that things have a bit of rarity to them. you will get your items and if not mom has a credit card you can use in her purse.
RNG means there's a possibility of NEVER getting them, thats !@#$ing stupid
The lack of response from Blizzard is almost as disgusting as the loot box fiasco.
At the very least, the summer boxes should not include normal items, nor currency since it can't be used towards summer goods at all. If this were the case, I'd find it a little underwhelming, but acceptable.

If you ask me though, the summer items should be purchasable with currency. That would solve everything as far as I'm concerned. They could probably even mark up the prices from usual, permanent items if they want to keep up the exclusivity.

Just my two cents.
I do hope they are listening.
Nice thread
Glad someone kindly put threads together for easy viewing. Bet on how many will get deleted? :)

Hope Bli$$ard will least come up with a official response.

Come on Blizz~ I don't want to gamble for rewards. I want to play the game and earn rewards.

If I have to buy something, just let me buy it instead of leaving it to RNJesus.
08/03/2016 06:34 AMPosted by Salty
The lack of response from Blizzard is almost as disgusting as the loot box fiasco.

Just like every other big company. Messed up? Remain silent and ignore community
It's too late for them to fix it sadly. We just have to hope they listen to us and doesn't make the same mistake for the next seasonal event.
I'm so stupid!...Right when i started the game i bought 5 lootboxes to get Devas skin thinking ,,no big deal i can buy a few to see what's inside and if i don't get deva i buy it with credits......
I should have checked if i can buy it with credists first......No way i would knowingly spend my money on such a cash grab.....
Someone probably already said this, but I personally think it's !@#$ty that you can get money in the summer loot boxes but can't spend said money to buy the summer item that you desire. Maybe it would be better if they made it so that you can just buy the item you want (with real money) instead of "making"* ppl throw money at the chance (very small chance) to get the item they want.

Yes, other video games sell you items for real money too, even if they are not f2p. But as far as I know you get to buy exactly the thing you want, not a loot box with a small chance of getting the thing you want.

Personally I don't like any of the new skins (the ones that are different are meh and the others are just boring re-skins with meh colors on them), and I'm disappointed that not all the characters got a new skin/victory pose/highlight intro/etc.

* No, Blizzard is not forcing people to spend money, that's up to the individual. But by making the event so short and making the stuff not buy-able with in-game currency (let's not forget that some ppl got this by spending actual money on loot boxes) they kind of are coaxing ppl into gambling, for a small chance to get the one item they want.

So unlike other games (say Rocket League) where you can just spend 5 dollars to get the one thing you want, ppl spend hundreds of dollars and MAYBE get the one thing they want. I could buy all Rocket League DLC for $36.88 or less if it goes on sale, and I would be getting new cars, new paints, new decals, new tires, new antennas, new trails. And I don't have to hope to get what I want, I know exactly what I'm getting.

I could spend $100 on loot boxes and maybe get 2 legendary skins for characters I use, a whole bunch of duplicates, and a a whole bunch of things for heroes I don't use (which is why i don't throw my money on loot boxes).
Hi,

I've been away from my desk so haven't had a chance to catch up on the forums. This is a long thread and there are many other long threads like this so I apologize in advance because I have not read every single response here.

We really appreciate the feedback, guys. We're taking it all in and it's interesting to hear the various viewpoints on this topic.

I know many of you have watched the developer update as well. Not much has really changed in our opinion of things that wasn't expressed in that update. The unfortunate part about how this event rolled out is that it was leaked early. Our plan was to have this just go live, simultaneous in all regions and on all platforms. We thought that would have been pretty cool, you know? How many people were expecting a Summer Games event two days ago? Probably no one?

The event has a ton of *ABSOLUTELY FREE* content available to all players for *FREE*. The idea is play the game and get free, cool, rare stuff for the next 3 weeks. Yes, you can buy loot boxes but you also earn them for free... just by playing. There is a ton of content here that literally no one knew existed until it went live.

Sometimes we want to give everything to everybody. For example, a few weeks ago we gave everyone a new hero -- Ana. Ana came with skins, emotes, sprays, highlight intros etc. that could all be purchased with credits. We also want to add new maps to the game and new stuff like the Lucioball brawl that's available to everyone equally.

But sometimes we want things to feel rare and special.

We wanted to try something new with this event. As we mentioned in the Developer Update, we're learning and experimenting with this event. And if the event is received well (my impression so far is that it is being received well once you remove the debate over the items not being available for credits), we will run it again next year. Our Summer Games are on a yearly schedule -- not a 4 year schedule. Our plan would be to have the items available again when the event recurs. Perhaps we add new content to it as well? We're not sure yet... we're seeing what works and what doesn't.

We'd like to give the event more time and see how people feel as it wraps up. Maybe people will be feeling differently at the end of the vent. Maybe not. If we need to make things less rare -- if everyone is entitled to that Genji Epic Skin -- we'll have to reconsider our design philosophy in the future.

But I think letting the event play out for a few weeks is the right decision here.

I understand that I am not posting exactly what some of you want to hear right now. But I also hope you can appreciate giving the event some time to play out before fully passing judgement as well.

Thanks,

jeffrey
Oh, also, If they plan on making events like this more often, at least make the skins actually look cool and make one for all characters? I don't get why not all the characters get summer stuff. It sort of feels like it was a last minute decision and didn't have time to make something for everyone.

I'd rather get new maps and game modes than half assed events though.
08/03/2016 08:47 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

This adds no value whatsoever to the average consumer and just serves to fill your pockets and screw me over. If you wanted to make exclusive time-period sensitive content that couldn't be purchased with credits, it'd have been nice of you to forewarn us that this is the kind of thing we're gonna be dealing with before the game released. I would have most certainly not bought this game if I knew that's what I was getting into.

Can I get a refund?
Hi,

I've been away from my desk so haven't had a chance to catch up on the forums. This is a long thread and there are many other long threads like this so I apologize in advance because I have not read every single response here.

We really appreciate the feedback, guys. We're taking it all in and it's interesting to hear the various viewpoints on this topic.

I know many of you have watched the developer update as well. Not much has really changed in our opinion of things that wasn't expressed in that update. The unfortunate part about how this event rolled out is that it was leaked early. Our plan was to have this just go live, simultaneous in all regions and on all platforms. We thought that would have been pretty cool, you know? How many people were expecting a Summer Games event two days ago? Probably no one?

The event has a ton of *ABSOLUTELY FREE* content available to all players for *FREE*. The idea is play the game and get free, cool, rare stuff for the next 3 weeks. Yes, you can buy loot boxes but you also earn them for free... just by playing. There is a ton of content here that literally no one knew existed until it went live.

Sometimes we want to give everything to everybody. For example, a few weeks ago we gave everyone a new hero -- Ana. Ana came with skins, emotes, sprays, highlight intros etc. that could all be purchased with credits. We also want to add new maps to the game and new stuff like the Lucioball brawl that's available to everyone equally.

We wanted to try something new with this event. As we mentioned in the Developer Update, we're learning and experimenting with this event. And if the event is received well (my impression so far is that it is being received well once you remove the debate over the items not being available for credits), we will run it again next year. Our Summer Games are on a yearly schedule -- not a 4 year schedule. Our plan would be to have the items available again when the event recurs. Perhaps we add new content to it as well? We're not sure yet... we're seeing what works and what doesn't.

We'd like to give the event more time and see how people feel as it wraps up. Maybe people will be feeling differently at the end of the vent. Maybe not. If we need to make things less rare -- if everyone is entitled to that Genji Epic Skin -- we'll have to reconsider our design philosophy in the future.

But I think letting the event play out for a few weeks is the right decision here.

I understand that I am not posting exactly what some of you want to hear right now. But I also hope you can appreciate giving the event some time to play out before fully passing judgement as well.

Thanks,

jeffrey

!@#$ just got real.

Also, Jeff, are these the "new skins" that you talked about? Or are we getting additional skins by the end of summer?
08/03/2016 08:51 AMPosted by VanwerBlight

This adds no value whatsoever to the average consumer and just serves to fill your pockets and screw me over. If you wanted to make exclusive time-period sensitive content that couldn't be purchased with credits, it'd have been nice of you to forewarn us that this is the kind of thing we're gonna be dealing with before the game released. I would have most certainly not bought this game if I knew that's what I was getting into.

Can I get a refund?

No. There is your answer but you will keep asking for a refund anyway.
I won't bother, they tricked me and got my money and I bitterly accept that fact.
Highly Rated

We wanted to try something new with this event. As we mentioned in the Developer Update, we're learning and experimenting with this event. And if the event is received well (my impression so far is that it is being received well once you remove the debate over the items not being available for credits)

I mean the event, to me, seems like it's just new items and a new brawl. So 50% of the event seems to be causing a huge lash out on the forums, I'm not sure how you think this counts as being "well received."

If we need to make things less rare -- if everyone is entitled to that Genji Epic Skin -- we'll have to reconsider our design philosophy in the future.

"Giving us" Ana and Lucioball isn't really you being generous. You announced before the game ever came out that all future content, like characters and game modes and maps, would be free. You're not being gracious by doing this, you're fulfilling your promise and doing what was expected. We all EXPECTED new free characters and maps overtime when we bought the game.

And yes, I honestly think we should all be "entitled" to the new skins if we want them because we were also promised new skins by the end of summer. We were never told that the new skins would be exclusive to those who were lucky and those who can afford to gamble.