How to implement quests/hero leveling in the game.

General Discussion
Hey, ok so I know this was talked before, but quests could add more to the game, either reward gold or lootboxes to the game.

People say that needing to play a certain hero would be a problem with switching, so quests like "Play 3 games as Hanzo" would not work that well, but we can have quests like "Win 3 games", "Plat 5 Brawl Game", "Play 3 games as Offense/Defense Heros", "Get 2 Gold Medals".
Those types of quests could work with no problem, and would add more flavour to the game IMO. :D

Also what I thought would be nice is to also add levels to characters, and when you get level 5 and 10 let's say on a hero, you get gold/lootboxes, similar to HOTS.

For the hero leveling, you don't have to play a full game as one hero, if let's say you play 2 heroes in one game for example, you get half of the XP for the first one and the other half for the second hero and you level up both of them at once.

What do you think?
It would definitely make the game much much better, but I think there might have to be some minor tweaks with your idea. Idk.
Our second progression system featured per-hero leveling (this was never public -- only in internal Alpha). Per-hero leveling caused a lot of issues with team composition. Oftentimes players would refuse to switch off of heroes because they were trying to "get one more level" on a certain hero. We really want players focused on winning as a team and building smart team comps.
Oh ok, makes sense, thanks! :D
But what do you think about a questing system similar to that one mentioned above?
Not focused on one hero but more on wins/roles or playing certain game modes.
I appreciate you taking the time to answer the question Jeff, but I have to ask then that if "Winning as a team and building smart team comps" is so important then why is nothing being done about Stacking?
I know it's not allowed in Competitive, but maybe at least give us some Filters to work with in Quick-play Match-making.
This morning has been over sixty percent stacking going on and it's just not fun and is demoralising for the team on the receiving end.
08/01/2016 08:27 AMPosted by Koberius
I appreciate you taking the time to answer the question Jeff, but I have to ask then that if "Winning as a team and building smart team comps" is so important then why is nothing being done about Stacking?

Be...cause stacking isn't a bad idea?

You seem to be under the impression that stacking was removed because it was detrimental to the team that stacks. Couldn't be further from the truth.
08/01/2016 08:19 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Our second progression system featured per-hero leveling (this was never public -- only in internal Alpha). Per-hero leveling caused a lot of issues with team composition. Oftentimes players would refuse to switch off of heroes because they were trying to "get one more level" on a certain hero. We really want players focused on winning as a team and building smart team comps.

But in the current system .... why would anyone try to "get one more level" on a hero if the only reward is a disappointing loot-box?
08/01/2016 08:56 AMPosted by qbert

But in the current system .... why would anyone try to "get one more level" on a hero if the only reward is a disappointing loot-box?

Yes, yes they would.
I know it's not allowed in Competitive, but maybe at least give us some Filters to work with in Quick-play Match-making.
This morning has been over sixty percent stacking going on and it's just not fun and is demoralising for the team on the receiving end.

Then why aren't you playing competitive if stacking is that annoying to you? QM is for fun and not serious gameplay. It's the perfect venue for hero stacking.

As a suggestion: should add a filter where the use fills out what his/her favorite heroes are or what type of role the person likes to play and let the match making system arrange the teams based on the players criteria of hero choices.

*just a random idea... I already know the counter argument to this...*
08/01/2016 08:56 AMPosted by qbert

Oh you have so much faith in humanity, how amazing your world must be.
08/01/2016 08:52 AMPosted by RykerrK

You seem to be under the impression that stacking was removed because it was detrimental to the team that stacks. Couldn't be further from the truth.

No, I'm not under any such assumption. My experience is that "the other team" stacks, the opposing team play the way that a normal match would go i.e. a spread of characters. Try playing against a competent group of Genjis and see if it's fun. Every match that I've been in with Stacking this morning didn't come across as fun for any of my team-mates.
Put a Match-making filter in place that states No Stacking (along with a mechanic in place that will not allow above two of any toon) and people who find stacking fun can be matched with others from the same mind-set.
08/01/2016 08:59 AMPosted by mecra

Then why aren't you playing competitive if stacking is that annoying to you? QM is for fun and not serious gameplay. It's the perfect venue for hero stacking.

I don't play competitive because I take ratings seriously and I don't have the time to play that often.
I like QM, if a filter is put in place it'll maybe make queue times a bit longer but I'd happily take that hit for the chances of a match where I know I'm going to have a far better chance of enjoying it. If folks who like stacking play against other folks who also do and the other folks who don't are matched with similar players then everyone wins.
08/01/2016 08:15 AMPosted by Remus
Hey, ok so I know this was talked before, but quests could add more to the game, either reward gold or lootboxes to the game.

People say that needing to play a certain hero would be a problem with switching, so quests like "Play 3 games as Hanzo" would not work that well, but we can have quests like "Win 3 games", "Plat 5 Brawl Game", "Play 3 games as Offense/Defense Heros", "Get 2 Gold Medals".
Those types of quests could work with no problem, and would add more flavour to the game IMO. :D

Also what I thought would be nice is to also add levels to characters, and when you get level 5 and 10 let's say on a hero, you get gold/lootboxes, similar to HOTS.

For the hero leveling, you don't have to play a full game as one hero, if let's say you play 2 heroes in one game for example, you get half of the XP for the first one and the other half for the second hero and you level up both of them at once.

What do you think?

Here is your quest: get on the objective, and kill any hostiles who approach.

You get a new quest every round.
08/01/2016 09:01 AMPosted by Amari

As a suggestion: should add a filter where the use fills out what his/her favorite heroes are or what type of role the person likes to play and let the match making system arrange the teams based on the players criteria of hero choices.

*just a random idea... I already know the counter argument to this...*

At that point, we may as well pick our character before we even queue and let the match maker assign us to a game where that character would be appropriate. Of course, then we wouldn't have 3 sniper comps on Control maps and we'd miss out on all of those attack team Bastions, Torbjorns, and Symmetras.

It'd be a lot like the old WoW queues where DPS had to wait half an hour, but Healers and Tanks could queue almost instantly.

I am so happy with Overwatch's current progression system, especially how it is guaranteed to be an even and fair playing field for anyone of any level, and any amount of time played. This is one of my favorite things about the game. Thank you so much for making Overwatch's progression system the way you did!
08/01/2016 09:32 AMPosted by Koberius
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No, I'm not under any such assumption. My experience is that "the other team" stacks, the opposing team play the way that a normal match would go i.e. a spread of characters. Try playing against a competent group of Genjis and see if it's fun. Every match that I've been in with Stacking this morning didn't come across as fun for any of my team-mates.
Put a Match-making filter in place that states No Stacking (along with a mechanic in place that will not allow above two of any toon) and people who find stacking fun can be matched with others from the same mind-set.

No need, we already have an "anything goes" mode, and it's called Quick Play. If you want serious one-on-one competitive mode, it's called competitive mode. And if you think stacking somehow breaks the fun spirit of casual matches, you're clearly taking Quick Play WAY too seriously.
08/01/2016 10:45 AMPosted by RykerrK

No need, we already have an "anything goes" mode, and it's called Quick Play. If you want serious one-on-one competitive mode, it's called competitive mode. And if you think stacking somehow breaks the fun spirit of casual matches, you're clearly taking Quick Play WAY too seriously.

You pull way too many assumptions.
I never said I wanted serious one-on-one competitive mode.
All I asked for was a Filter of some sort; if there's a filter in place it means that the game can be a little more tailored to what folks want in a game.
I don't think Stacking is fun and I'm not talking for everybody (I leave that to you) but there are a lot of other folks in-game who agree with me.
*shrugs*
It's a suggestion not a rule.