Troubleshooting Voice Chat Issues

Technical Support
Prev 1 7 8 9 Next
so i been having a voice chat bug when leaving comp games in a group and its not putting us back in group chat. what we have been having to do is slowly spam the join group chat until it lets us join. it will show me muted in chat but when i click to unmute it said i cant be muted because i use push to talk. so by slowly spaming the join it will eventually let me join group chat this has been happening since the holiday up date
@Jago can you please tell us what in the hell is going on with voice chat, you can't just leave us with no official respond at all.

Check the new threads in Tech Support & Bug Forums, so many people with the exact same problem.

The game is unplayable without voice chat. Your last respond was on Sep 20, asking us to test some stuff, and post some info. You can't just stop responding after months dude lol.
Loool, posted three months ago and checked back to find no response.

I tried a lot of things on my end, and for the moment the only way I can voice chat at all is through discord. I don't wanna blame Jagowoshi as this guy's probably got other problems wish his work but Blizzard can't just leave us here like this. So frustrating.
My battle.net voice chat works, but not in game overwatch voice chat (weird right).

What happens is when I try and join the channel, the mic icon will always have a / over it and won't change. I have tried all of the steps to fix voice chat and it will not work. It has never worked in the past which frustrates me because I really need to communicate with teammates.

If anyone knows a fix reply.
Just dropping in to say that I'm another 'victim' of bugged voicechat. No one hear me and I can't hear anyone.
I had issues with the in game voice chat for as long as I can remember. Some of you may have the same fix that I needed.

Basically having the 'Join Voice Chat' option set to 'ON' doesn't do anything. But if you change it to 'Auto Join' it works normally.

I hope that this helps save some of you the pain I had to go through just to find this simple fix.
Was having great voice chat on my xbox one since the game came out. Two days ago got a notification saying unable to connect to voice chat. If problem persists, contact support. I haven't done that yet, but am close to. Just wanted to post here that it's a console problem. Also my boyfriend connects to the voice chat, but can never hear anything or be heard. He has same settings and set up on xbox as I do, and it never worked for him.
Double check your default device using Windows. Ensuring that your computer recognizes your headset and that it has sound assigned to it is super-important. To check on this:
- Right click on Window's volume icon in the system tray.
- Open Playback devices.
- Select the device you want to use in game.
- Use the drop-down at the bottom of this window to set this device as default.
- Repeat the process for Recording devices (Select Recording Devices during step #2).
• Double check that your headset is enabled in the Windows volume mixer. We want to be sure that sound is not being sent to speakers or another device entirely. To check on this:
- Right click on Window's volume icon in the system tray.
- Open the Volume Mixer.
- On the far left, under "Device" be sure that your headphones are selected. If you have multiple devices plugged in, this might be a drop-down menu.
- While we're here, let's be sure that the game's sound is turned up (you will need the game open for it to show up in this mixer).
• Remove the ability for applications to take exclusive control over an audio device. According to a recent post, it appears that some players were able to resolve these types of voice-related issues by removing this setting from the audio devices on their machine:
- Right click on Window's volume icon in the system tray
- Open Playback devices
- Select the device you want to use in game
- Open the Properties for this device
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Remove the check box for "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
- Repeat the process for Recording devices (step #2 above).
• Review your in-game audio settings! After opening the game, let's open the Options menu and head over to the Sound tab. Under this tab, let's be sure that:
- Volumes are turned up (for both microphone and sound)!
- Group and/or Team chats are set to "Auto join". and
- Your Voice Chat Device is selected correctly. If you have the option to change this from "Default Device" to "Comms", let's try it out to see if this works.

Hopefully this helps!
Also check whether your router/firewall has ALG enabled for SIP.

Symptoms will be joining channels with no error, seeing 0/4, not hearing anything or being heard.

Keep in mind that disabling ALG may break other programs or games.

If Blizzard voice works, make sure the additional TCP ports needed for Overwatch are allowed.
09/20/2016 11:27 AMPosted by Jagowoshi
Hey all!

If you're running into a problem using voice chat (and the suggested troubleshooting steps don't seem to help out) it would be helpful if you could post the following:
    - Make/model of the device being used as a microphone
    - Name of the sound card
    - Make/model of the router

Of course, the corollary troubleshooting would also be:
    - Test with a different microphone/device
    - Test with a different sound card (e.g., use the onboard audio instead of a dedicated/external card)
    - Test with a different router

Whether the troubleshooting is successful or not, this kind of data would be really awesome to have if we're trying to identify an as-of-yet-unknown trend or pattern that would cause this problem. Thank you!

I've done all of your troubleshooting steps, still experiencing issues as well as random DC's, tested with both a sound card and onboard, plus USB and 3.5mm jack.

I have 1 other housemate who has the voice issue and 1 who does not.

I also have multiple friends with different equipment who get crashes and have the mic issue, seems to me its more a software issue then hardware given the number of devices this happens to.
My Bug is the following on PC:
- Set to Auto Join
- Open Mic (tried push to talk as well).
- mic works initially when picking heroes
- mic works in spawn
- if I am lucky It'll work for the first few seconds of the game.. if not then it's get cut in spawn
- in Arcade if i join an ongoing game (6v6 mystery Heros) i can communicate and hear everyone for maybe 1 or 2 mins then gets cut off..

I change from default to comms in options and back to activate the mic to start working again for a few mins.

I am using:
- HyperX Cloud 2
- Mixamp PRO Tr connected to my PC via USB
- Tried all USB ports
- the included card with the Cloud 2s does the same thing (cuts out)
- I have also used a logitech G633 (also usb connected without MixAmp) and does the same thing
- I cannot get my hands on a headset with two 3.5 jacks, but when i do I will try it out

I've spoken to multiple support reps and I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps... i've even gone to static IP with all the necessary ports open on the router and on the PC.. i even disabled all firewalls and uninstalled all VPN software.

My last ditch effort is to login to my ISPs Modem ( not just my router) and see if there is anything blocking it there.

my xbox works fine...
I record Overwatch gameplay for Youtube regularly, and my Elgato picks up party chat (private Xbox parties) with no issue. But doesn't seem to EVER pick up in game chat, while solo queuing? I've got funny ideas for videos, but they'll lose some entertainment value with the random people that you meet in 3v3's coming through on video?

Like I said, I can pick up private parties fine, but not in public game chat. I have my Xbox set up to route chat through the TV speakers AND headset (because the Elgato records from the TV audio, not the headset) so I can't think of any issue why this might not work...

*note that I have not tried recording public game chat in any other game, JUST Overwatch, so this could well be a platform problem, not an Overwatch issue.

Any enlightenment or help would be greatly appreciated.

Channel is linked here in case anyone is actually interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU8afwEiRl5IEw571iGXC4A/videos

Thanks!!
> Ports 12000-64000 - UDP - for voice media

This is a joke, right? You need 52000 ports to get voice working? You do realize that Overwatch is not the only application on most players' home networks, right?
08/16/2016 08:49 PMPosted by DefaultName
Hey, i play Overwatch on Xbox One, and not only does my voice chat not work anymore, it doesn't even tell me who has joined voice chat or let me join voice chat. Why is this?

Cannot Log into any Voice Chats. I checked silence status on Xbox Live and I have not been Silenced.

on 1/7/17 My Voice Communications stopped working I cannot enter Voice Chat on Team/Group/ or any others Nobody can hear me and I cannot hear them. I have to use Xbox Party where then Voip works fine. So It's not my headset.

I have checked my settings I have put them on Auto Join and On I have also made sure Its wasn't muted also checked my Social settings along with resetting my settings to default. None of this works and it is game breaking in competitive games.
01/07/2017 12:35 AMPosted by PewPew4U
> Ports 12000-64000 - UDP - for voice media

This is a joke, right? You need 52000 ports to get voice working? You do realize that Overwatch is not the only application on most players' home networks, right?

Short answer: No, usually they need one or two at most. But you need to allow outbound traffic on those UDP ports to the internet. Usually these days for incoming traffic this is a non-issue - stateful firewalls and routers will recognize udp response traffic from blizzards servers*

*e g say your computer connects to blizzardvoiceip.us on port 443 with source port 59981, that port is an identifier for the computer when response traffic from blizzardvoiceip.us turns up "oh right, that's for the voice chat program"

01/09/2017 10:04 AMPosted by Fadepro
08/16/2016 08:49 PMPosted by DefaultName
Hey, i play Overwatch on Xbox One, and not only does my voice chat not work anymore, it doesn't even tell me who has joined voice chat or let me join voice chat. Why is this?

Cannot Log into any Voice Chats. I checked silence status on Xbox Live and I have not been Silenced.

on 1/7/17 My Voice Communications stopped working I cannot enter Voice Chat on Team/Group/ or any others Nobody can hear me and I cannot hear them. I have to use Xbox Party where then Voip works fine. So It's not my headset.

I have checked my settings I have put them on Auto Join and On I have also made sure Its wasn't muted also checked my Social settings along with resetting my settings to default. None of this works and it is game breaking in competitive games.

If it's the same issue I talked about earlier, this is likely the one Blizzard will not help with despite some odd choices for their VOIP - because there are way too many different routers and firewalls that would need adjustment and trying to fix it can break other things.

In short: You may have a router/firewall doing ALG on on SIP traffic, in which case you need to disable that ALG, at the very least for the SIP part of blizzard voice traffic (UDP ports 5060,5062,6250).
08/06/2016 02:58 PMPosted by Jagowoshi
Network/Router/Firewall issues may prevent players from joining Overwatch Voice Chat Channels, or may cause the Microphone to appear permanently muted. The following troubleshooting steps may help resolve the issue:

1. The use of VoIP (voice over IP) is regulated/limited by some internet providers and/or governing bodies in certain areas. Please check to ensure VoIP is allowed in your area.

2. Right-click on the sound icon in the Windows task bar and choose Recording Devices. Test the mic you are using with Overwatch there and ensure it works properly. If you are using the Default Device setting in Overwatch then make sure the recording device you are using is set as the Windows Default Device.

3. Check that the latest software/driver for your audio device has been installed. The most current software for your audio device can typically be found on the website of the manufacturer of the device.

4. Make sure all unnecessary background applications are closed prior to launching Overwatch, especially those related to audio (e.g., Discord, Skype, Mumble, etc.), as these could cause a potential conflict.

5. Verify that the ports needed for Overwatch and for voice are open:
    Ports 1119, 3724, 6113, 80 - TCP - for Overwatch
    Ports 6250, 5062 and 5060 - UDP - for voice control signals
    Ports 12000-64000 - UDP - for voice media
    Ports 3478 and 3479 - UDP - to aid in setting up voice

Note: Blizzard does not directly support proxies, firewalls, modems or routers. For assistance configuring your modem, router or firewall; please contact your ISP or hardware manufacturer. If you are comfortable doing so you can also use a site like [url="https://portforward.com/router.htm"]portforward.com[/url] to help with configuring the modem and/or router. Additionally, please consider temporarily disabling any firewall(s) for testing, if needed.

6. Update Security Protocols:
    Make sure Overwatch and the Battle.net App are closed
    Open Internet Explorer
    Select Internet Options
    Open the Advanced tab
    Scroll down to the security section
    Uncheck the boxes to disable SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0
    Check the boxes to enable TLS 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2
    Hit Apply

7. Make sure the router has the latest firmware installed.

8 - If your Voice chat volume is gray and you can't change it, you may have a parental control disabling streaming in-game, which prevents the voice chat to work!!!
On xbox one.
5 days now since chat of any sort has stopped working. *Except for a xbox party chat, so I mean ingame chat.*
I have checked every setting I could think of.
Any idea ?
*Also it was fine in the morning but after playing in a 6man it wasnt anymore. *
pc - tried to join a voice chat a few days ago, i could only hear the people in the chat if i set my default recording device to "stereo mix". they still couldn't hear me though, and my built in mic didn't seem to be working. okay, whatever, bought a headset. it works fine, but in order for it to work i have to have the microphone selected as the input instead of whatever stereo mix is. i'm worried that my group will be able to hear me but i won't be able to hear them, anyone else have a wacky problem like this?
Xbox 1
My in game chat worked for the first few days after i installed the game but randomly quit working and hasn't since. I have tried reinstalling the game, changing from wifi to a wired connection, and turning my xbox off then back on. Nothing has yet to work for in in game chat, although the xbox party chat is working.
Why is it that every other game works fine but overwatch doesn't? Just use normal ports for !@#$ sake.