Mei's biggest problem is her M1

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 14 Next
While Mei currently doesn't see a ton of tournament or competitive play, I don't think shes super far off.

Currently her ult can feel a bit unwieldy and inconsistent, especially when you compare it to other similar ults such as Reinhardt's. We're internally testing allowing the ultimate projectile she throws to pierce barriers (such as Reinhardt's shield), and increasing the radius a bit on it.
08/11/2016 04:19 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
While Mei currently doesn't see a ton of tournament or competitive play, I don't think shes super far off.

Currently her ult can feel a bit unwieldy and inconsistent, especially when you compare it to other similar ults such as Reinhardt's. We're internally testing allowing the ultimate projectile she throws to pierce barriers (such as Reinhardt's shield), and increasing the radius a bit on it.

Well I guess this does puts a smile on my face. I don't main Mei, but I like she's mentioned.

I don't think she needs some huge redesign or buff but she should be more reliable for freezing high mobility targets. What is supposed to reliably counter these if not Winston and Mei?

Seems like a good change. As for her ult, decreasing the time to freeze may make it more consistent so that characters can't run out of it aka Lucio speed boost.
@Geoff; please don't forget the wall collision bug (resulting in you or teammates falling next to your wall, instead of being on top of it). Pretty high gameplay impact bug considering it's such a unique part of her kit!
sounds like a good place to start. piercing barriers would make her ult slightly better than reinhardt's for CC if you also increase the range.
08/11/2016 04:26 PMPosted by Tiesieman
@Geoff; please don't forget the wall collision bug (resulting in you or teammates falling next to your wall, instead of being on top of it). Pretty high gameplay impact bug considering it's such a unique part of her kit!

This is already fixed in an upcoming update, but we're actually working on trying to push this specific fix up sooner for you guys!
08/11/2016 04:26 PMPosted by PraetorPat
so that characters can't run out of it aka Lucio speed boost.

But I really like doing that. When I'm Lucio I laugh at Mei's ultimate. Hardly anyone ever gets caught in it, especially if I amp speed. It's a great way to counter her ultimate and one of the best uses for speed boost, please don't take that away.

As to Reinhard's shield blocking the robot...I wasn't aware it did. The only things that seem to stop Mei's ult outright are a very well timed deflect or D.va DMatrix.

I sincerely hope the plan isn't to make Mei's ultimate not able to be countered by running out of it or a timely barrier/deflect.
Mei should be a hard counter catcher for genji. Low damage to freeze but easy to catch so every genji trys to avoid mei.

Even if you make her ultimate better her performance during the periods where she doesn't have her ultimate up remains the same, which is still lackluster. If all she is useful for (that is to say if the changes to her ultimates put it on par with the better ultimates) is her ultimate then she's basically in the same position because why would you pick her over another character who can also perform well outside of their ultimate.

I think you guys are trying too hard to sidestep the main problem for reasons I can only assume that you don't want to overhaul her. Mei needs more attention, like McCree level attention.
08/11/2016 04:31 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
This is already fixed in an upcoming update, but we're actually working on trying to push this specific fix up sooner for you guys!

Great to hear. Looking forward to S2.

Actually do mei and feel underpowered. after projectile hitbox patch, mei is on seriously bad state with hanzo.
08/11/2016 04:25 PMPosted by Meringue

I don't think she needs some huge redesign or buff but she should be more reliable for freezing high mobility targets. What is supposed to reliably counter these if not Winston and Mei?
This is really something that needs to be addressed. If Mei's slow isn't good for countering fast heroes, then what IS it for? What is her role supposed to be?
Is her blizzard supposed to go through walls?
I think giving additional 100 shield to mei is fine.

Can you test shield piercing WM scoped shots while your at it?
08/11/2016 04:11 PMPosted by Ginhyun
08/10/2016 09:26 PMPosted by Froggy
Make iceblock have a small aoe explosion when it shatters with a slowing effect to all enemies within 2m radius. This would give her some breathing room and another tool in her kit to control the speed of the offense characters.

Do you mean the new ice block ability I mentioned in the first post or cryofreeze?

I mean, when she uses ice block to protect herself from damage & heal, exiting deliberately with E or when it finishes healing, ice block shatters causing AOE dmg and short term slow effect to enemies nearby. Ice block becomes both a defense and tactical combat tool. I don't think it should do a lot of dmg (40? same as melee?) but enough to augment the the rest of her kit.

Mei doesn't need a lot really. Her kit is fun but it lacks constancy that a team can rely on. Making Iceblock cause shatter dmg and slow effect will improve her overall dmg out put but without requiring major tweaks to her M1 & M2.

The only tweak I recommend for her M1 is to increase the width of her M1 freeze spray so i can freeze multiple enemies at once. This helps her become more of a teamplay character since she clearly can't freeze two or three people and kill them all herself. It also makes the M1 fire less of a precision and tracking skill which her current M2 has covered.

I do like some of the suggestion to add a slowing aura around her ice wall. As it becomes another tool in her kit to control the flow of combat. Which is what I believe the character is really all about.

Btw anyone who thinks they should remove the delay on her right click didn't play her in the beta for that week when the Devs did exactly that. Trust me when I say she was OP. There is a reason they put it back on. :)

Thanks for the response! Could you guys maybe look at the call out timing as well? It is called so early that almost everyone can dodge it, delaying it half a second may work even without widening the range.
08/11/2016 04:57 PMPosted by Bumbletron

Thanks for the response! Could you guys maybe look at the call out timing as well? It is called so early that almost everyone can dodge it, delaying it half a second may work even without widening the range.

Dong Zhu, bu xu Zou!

tick, tick, tick tick, tick.
Is it possible to just make it so Mei freezes you faster based on having less health so she can't just freeze tanks and run off when they come to kick her !@#?