Healers are not fun enough to play

General Discussion
IF you are not having fun playing support, you are doing it wrong. I'm a DPS main, and I have more fun playing support.

Try playing zenyatta, he's not squishy, any player who runs close to him is a asking to be killed, if you time right click right, you can insta kill reapers if you headshot them.
I like zen a lot, he's very fun. Even prebuff.
08/07/2016 06:33 PMPosted by Poh

How hard can it be to make a hero feel rewarding when they heal.
Do devs just not think to make it fun, do they just want healing to be an after thought or a necessity?

This is incredibly subjective. I find playing Lucio rewarding. Making sure I'm have everyone in LOS (when my team isn't making that impossible), playing keepaway with enemy DPS, scoring a kill when the enemy figured they could just run away.
Zen is very hectic, between managing attacks, healing and discord, and that can be fun too. In contrast, I find Mercy kinda dull, but I've heard from lots of people who feel the opposite.

As to the OP, I personally find people that treat healer like some booby prize, leaving it for the last man in are bad players, with little interest in actually winning a match. Unless you're some Genji virtuoso a Lucio will add way more to your team than another DPS.
08/07/2016 06:33 PMPosted by Poh
I'm amazed how no game dev has made healing fun

Like really what is the difference between healing and DPS they're just two different numbers involving similar inputs and results. Is it the lack of feed back? Visual interest for the player? no elimination of threat or feeling of over coming an obstacle?

How hard can it be to make a hero feel rewarding when they heal.
Do devs just not think to make it fun, do they just want healing to be an after thought or a necessity?

I think that's the wrong way to look at it. I think when it comes down to it support oriented players, like myself, and DPS oriented players find different things rewarding. For me, I find healing fun and rewarding because I like the feeling of the team relying on me, the constant awareness and decision making, and the usual gratuitousness you receive when you do a good job. I guess I like feeling important (maybe it's a character flaw) and helping others than the feeling I get of "just a cog in the wheel" that I get from playing a DPS. On the otherhand tho, as a support player, when you make mistakes or having a bad day, you also never hear the end of it. This is what makes playing it unfun for me sometimes too, but overall I enjoy it more than DPS.
08/07/2016 05:56 PMPosted by SorenK
In most (not all) games, one of the last two people to pick their character gets stuck playing a healer. Two reasons that people don't want to pick healers (aside from not being as efficient at PEWPEWING), is that they are so squishy, and ultimately, they are not fun/interesting enough to play.

Give them some INTERESTING abilities (not buffing/nerfing current abilities) and maybe things would change. Let Mercy just fly, or Ana go stealth, give Lucio a different attack - let him channel his ability that bounces people back. Anything to make them more interesting and less of a chore to play.

I pick last not cuz I dont wanna play a healer (Lucio is actually one of my top 2 favourites) but because I dont really care who I play. I'll let everyone else pick who they want and then I'll fill whatever role is still needed. If that's a healer, I'll probably roll Lucio. Tank? Either D.Va or Reinhardt. Otherwise, probably Reaper or 76. Not a big fan of any of the defense guys.
I think Blizzard did a great job with making the healers really fun to play.
Ana is the most fun I've had in this game.

Pewpew, I'm helping!
i dont really care for Lucio though. his character design (and his skins) look straight up stupid and hes just annoying. you dont deal much if any damage and you cant keep from dying except with your ult your boost and heal combo is not quick enough to stop death. I just wants someone that FEELS effective and can defend themselves. which is why i play Zenyatta, but obviously hes SUPER SLOW and cant stop someone who wants to get in on you unlike lucio or Ana.
Ana is alot of fun to play with some aiming skill actually.
Lucio is alright though pretty straightforward. Timing his ult to change the course of a game can be a blast.

Zen I have lots of fun playing and can score lots of dmg/kills when played well. Discord sniping is very satisfying.

Haven't played Ana yet, but she looks like a lot of fun. Will give her a try even though I suck at sniping.
08/07/2016 08:10 PMPosted by MacKnife
Lucio is alright though pretty straightforward. Timing his ult to change the course of a game can be a blast.

Zen I have lots of fun playing and can score lots of dmg/kills when played well. Discord sniping is very satisfying.

Haven't played Ana yet, but she looks like a lot of fun. Will give her a try even though I suck at sniping.

Well, I can say I suck at sniping too (hate playing as Widowmaker and sometimes I lucksman as hanzo), but Ana is really fun, and I think sniping is much easier than with Widow. Besides, although this will probably be nerfed, ult an ulted Genji and see him wipe the entire enemy team. It's always fun to watch. (not so much when it happens against you though)
I'm super glad that there are some of you out there who really like or love to play one of the current healers! The problem is that there are not enough of you : /

And all I'm talking about here is making healers more fun/interesting to play! Who wouldn't want that? Give each of the healers another interesting ability (not just buffing already existing abilities).
Please try to understand, my feedback is not about your individual taste, it's some overall feedback for a general issue that seems to be happening in the game - and some silly ideas (I'm sure other people could think of better ones) as to how to improve the situation.
08/07/2016 05:58 PMPosted by AlexHuaTian
Healers were never fun to play in any video games. It takes a specific kind of person to take on that role.
I don't agree. I've spent more time on offense and tanks but Mercy was fine mostly, it's only mother*** Genjis that now in every single game make it impossible to even remotely enjoy it. Zenyatta is also fun to play but again. **** Genjis. And the fact that you can't afford another healer because then you will lose in the firepower.

Are you serious? Booping 3 people off the map at once with Lucio doesn't amuse you?
Nope.
Lucio has a braindead playstyle where he's neither this or that. He doesn't really heal I mean it's an aura and you don't even watch it mostly, have little control over it. And he does little to no damage even tho he has a weapon. No interesting abilities aside from the boop part but most people at this point know better and avoid it.
I love playing healers. Always have. The post should say that they're not fun for *you*
Zenyatta is fun as hell right now.
08/07/2016 07:57 PMPosted by LordxMugen
i dont really care for Lucio though. his character design (and his skins) look straight up stupid and hes just annoying. you dont deal much if any damage and you cant keep from dying except with your ult your boost and heal combo is not quick enough to stop death. I just wants someone that FEELS effective and can defend themselves. which is why i play Zenyatta, but obviously hes SUPER SLOW and cant stop someone who wants to get in on you unlike lucio or Ana.

Wha......? You serious? Can't keep from dying? As Lucio? Between the constant healing, incredible movement speed, wall-riding, knock-back and his ult, how are you struggling to stay alive with one of the most durable non-tanks in the game? Do you also struggle to land shots as Winston?
Nobody wants to play support because supports can't carry (except maybe Lucio). If you have five strangers in your game, your first instinct is going to be "these players are awful, let me play a hero that can carry them".

Unfortunately for the people who are playing by carrier pigeon, they get stuck with "go support" or "lose" as their options.
Zenyatta is fun af now. I can heal and I don't have to worry about having !@#$ty offense players.

Cause I can kill whoever I want myself, basically get on fire off of eliminations and not heals. I'm a strong black omnic that don't need no man.
08/07/2016 06:39 PMPosted by Grinchdog00
Are you serious? Booping 3 people off the map at once with Lucio doesn't amuse you? Saving your tank with a bio nade from clear across the map doesn't hype you? The breakneck speed of keeping people alive with ana and Mercy isnt remotely thrilling? Wow. I don't know how those things alone arent enough to be called fun.

You must get excited about watching paint dry