Lack of new content is getting ridiculous now

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
I dont get the hate for the loot boxes. Yeah its random, but it has ZERO meaningful impact on the game itself. Its a perk, its for fun, its not harming your ability to play or enjoy the game.

You dont even see your skins for the most part...

Downvote me.
Gimme maps.
actually this game has got more content in the first 3 months than I expected it to

it's not the type of game that should receive frequent content updates.

unless they want to milk mindless idiots out of money.

Cosmetics are not content. It's cash grabby fluff. Other than Ana, OW has received no content since launch.

This game needs to become a real game worthy of the buy in, which it's still a ways off from becoming. For upwards of $40 we got a free-to-play quality game with three game modes, no server browser, no story mode (for a game that's supposed to have such DEEP INTERESTING LORE), bad game balance, bad matchmaking, bad hitboxes, bad tickrate, curiously designed maps and a wholly unknown long term plan because Blizzard can't be bothered to promise anything since they can't even be sure of the very things they're working on.

Oh, and we got microtransactions. For a buy-in game.

This is seriously the most low quality game I've ever spent triple A money for. That being said, I got my forty bucks worth in game time and knowing that Blizzard promised the actual content added will be free. But yeah, they haven't produced a 40-60 game yet and until they do I don't think they're deserving of money for loot boxes, even if I feel compelled to help fund the future of this game.

I'm well aware that development takes time, but with that in mind I can't help but wonder why this game didn't spend another one to two years being fleshed out before full release. I guess with the failure of Titan they needed the money now rather than later.

I just think OW deserved to be better than a game made for a quick buck.
They've discussed having an internal debate over how often they should release new content. I think they've decided to slow roll it way more than they should. Here's what I think

New hero: every 3-4 months. I think a new hero should be released at the end of each comp season. Maybe slow it down to every 2 seasons once the pool starts to risk getting bloated. I think the game needs 30-32 heroes ASAP. I don't think it's in danger of feeling bloated until it's got over 40 heroes.

New skins and other cosmetics: Release these as often as possible. This is a win win win for everyone.

new maps: Once every 3-4 months, I think each hero should be released alongside a new map as well.
In my opinion, Ana was ready when Overwatch got released. I am 100% sure that they had 1 or 2 additional heroes and they withheld them from the game so they could easily add them later.

Same goes for skins. Do you really think the "design" team or how they are called designed 4 legendaries for each Hero and that was it? They already have 6 or 8 ready for a later time.

Same goes for maps. They have them ready, they tested them, they will add them at some point this year, maybe next year.

So no. It does not need additional time & money to design skins or come up with hero ideas.... They carefully space the time between new content updates, making them just long enough so the community gets angry but no one leaves, yet. This way they will maximize profits with minimal effort on their part.
One thing did trigger me is that one of Jeff's last post about the recent new content came off as "You should be thankful we given you ana" vibe. Or was it just me?

Feel like Oliver Twist pleading for more content, but Blizzard and their White Knights smacking me down, telling me I'm a pleb and to be thankful for what I got, now go buy more loot boxes.
Good things take work. Do you want them to just throw unfinished projects into the game?
Just...wow. 10 weeks and already complaints that there is not enough new content... That has to be a record. Some people are never happy.

$40 is well worth it for just the content it had at release.
08/08/2016 11:34 AMPosted by Accelerator
actually this game has got more content in the first 3 months than I expected it to

it's not the type of game that should receive frequent content updates.

unless they want to milk mindless idiots out of money.

Cosmetics are not content. It's cash grabby fluff. Other than Ana, OW has received no content since launch.

This game needs to become a real game worthy of the buy in, which it's still a ways off from becoming. For upwards of $40 we got a free-to-play quality game with three game modes, no server browser, no story mode (for a game that's supposed to have such DEEP INTERESTING LORE), bad game balance, bad matchmaking, bad hitboxes, bad tickrate, curiously designed maps and a wholly unknown long term plan because Blizzard can't be bothered to promise anything since they can't even be sure of the very things they're working on.

Oh, and we got microtransactions. For a buy-in game.

This is seriously the most low quality game I've ever spent triple A money for. That being said, I got my forty bucks worth in game time and knowing that Blizzard promised the actual content added will be free. But yeah, they haven't produced a 40-60 game yet and until they do I don't think they're deserving of money for loot boxes, even if I feel compelled to help fund the future of this game.

I'm well aware that development takes time, but with that in mind I can't help but wonder why this game didn't spend another one to two years being fleshed out before full release. I guess with the failure of Titan they needed the money now rather than later.

I just think OW deserved to be better than a game made for a quick buck.
+100 well stated. I also distinctly remember Kaplan saying that there would be "Tons of content" added to the game over the summer. Here we are 1 week into August and all we've gotten is 1 hero and a completely broken ranked mode.
People want new maps and new game modes that aren't some entirely unrelated football like mini game.

So yeah, we got 1 new hero, but the thing is we didn't even really need a new hero just yet, we already have many (not all viable sadly), we need maps and other FPS game modes.

Overwatch released with very little content for a $40-60 game and they already went full on gambling MT without releasing anything meaningful that could somewhat justify it by covering the cost of creating new content.

So I agree with OP, it is getting ridiculous.
ANd the lack of 60+ tick server....seriously the people working at blizz must make alot of money.
First off, I am not complaining. My $60 was well spent, and I really like this game still. Most people have one (or more) characters they still love to play. I don't think more characters is what we need.

I think more maps would make a huge difference in replayability. I am pretty tired of some of the maps. Honestly, they could re-use some of the maps they already have for different game types, and that would be cool too.

If you had a server browser for custom games, then we'd have endless replayability. That would honestly hold my attention for a few months until we could get more substantial new content.
08/08/2016 11:28 AMPosted by idSurge
I dont get the hate for the loot boxes. Yeah its random, but it has ZERO meaningful impact on the game itself. Its a perk, its for fun, its not harming your ability to play or enjoy the game.

Downvote me.

Ok think it this way.

EA is releasing the new Mass Effect game, you paid full price but all the cosmetics (such as hair styles, uniforms, facial features etc) for making your character uniquely as possible for you is locked behind a paid lottery system. You can also earn loot boxes if you lvl up each time, which can take 1 hour per lvl. To soften the blow EA tells you can get duplicates from these random loot boxes, but you can also get a small amount of currency from dupes to buy a single cosmetic item you want.
1 month later EA adds some "exclusive" cosmetics into the game, but this time you can't unlock these cosmetics with currency you saved up, and also there is no point of hoarding loot boxes because the old loot boxes will not contain new items. On top of that the cosmetic items has a time limit to make it more "exclusive". It is up to you to play for 1 hour to lvl up and gain 1 loot box which only contain 1 new exclusive item and possibly currency which you can't spend to buy said new items. Or spend money to buy more loot boxes and fingers crossed you get the items you want.
But EA defends all this because it is all cosmetic items, you should be happy to play as the default character and be grateful they added these exclusive items in the first place.

How well do you think this will go down?
I agree with the OP.
If i compare Overwatch's Start Content with other AAA titles ... and correct me if Overwatch is not a AAA game.

The 12 Maps we got, and 21 Heroes are not really allot. Yes i understand nowadays making Graphic takes time, but other games ... like the Warlords of Draenor Expansion to WoW had allot more in it with the world and Dungeons then Overwatch.
Or Fallout 4, or older titles like Borderlands2/Presequel ... there was just more "Game" too it.

You can now agree or disagree ... but it is not that hard with the money they make from Loot Boxes to have a couple guys make a Map a Month ... especially since all the Maps we have right now where already there in Beta as well.

But let me guess, they rather make a new Event with new Event Only Loot Boxes ... that seems to be better content then new Heroes, Maps or Game Modes.
Entitled much?
I view it like this, I consider a game a good purchase if I get 1 hour of ENJOYABLE playtime for every dollar I spent. With how much time I've spent on the game since I've bought it, it smashes those metrics.

Very worth the money imo.

The extra free content is a bonus.
Things that werent mentioned in this thread.

Balance Tweaks that most of the people here have suggested.

Golden Guns.

Competitive Mode.

Weekly Brawl.

Cheat detection.

I think 90% of the Forum population think that no one goes to work in the OW dev team that they only go to work when their Billion $$ is almost gone after spending it on their Yatchs or what not. lol

People have very wild imaginations.
08/08/2016 10:54 AMPosted by Shizmoo
This game has sold an extreme amount on consoles and PC and also rakes in massive cash through the cash shop. So what do we have to show for that after 4+ months? 1 new character and rng cash shop boxes. This isnt acceptable.

They are still figuring out a way to charge money for it without getting sued for lying.
08/08/2016 11:37 AMPosted by TDC
Good things take work. Do you want them to just throw unfinished projects into the game?

Competitive mode feels unfinished, no?
08/08/2016 11:28 AMPosted by idSurge

Downvote me.

Did.

Also you don't understand the hate at the Loot Boxes. Its not about the Random Content, its not about the Cosmetics in them ... at all.