Can Someone Reaffirm That Future Content Will be Free?

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Highly Rated
I'm not a huge fan of microtransactions, but it's never bothered me because I rarely find a cosmetic that makes me want to spend money.

I bought this game for $60 with the knowledge that I would be buying an experience that I could enjoy for at least several years. Free hero and map updates supplemented by optional microtransactions seemed fine to me. Buying Origins Edition was my way of throwing my support behind future content, but I've been made to doubt that that that content will be provided as advertised.

Say it isn't so Jeff.

Edit: Jeff said it isn't so.
Doubt they want to kill off the game by putting heroes behind a paywall if that's what you're worried about. Switching heroes is a core aspect of the game's balance. Put a price on Sombra & co. and people will start leaving soon.

As for what they did during the Summer Event, considering the amount of people who spent absurd amounts of money on loot boxes I doubt they'll let us purchase exclusive skins for regular credits. The event was too good a cash cow to give up on something like this in the future.

This is not to say that future regular skins won't be purchasable with credits. The Summer skins weren't purchasable because they wanted them to be exclusive, whereas future normal skins will lack the "exclusivity" trait and should by logic be released for free.

So yeah, unless they want to get sued for false advertising future maps and heroes will be free.
How can future content be free if life isn't free?
pays over 300usd... into overwatch.... doesn't care if it's free or not.
Sometimes we want to give everything to everybody. For example, a few weeks ago we gave everyone a new hero -- Ana.

It's this quote that has me a bit worried.

Maybe it was just worded badly.
In your mind what did you think would keep the game going with new characters and maps past the first year or two? what about 5 years? what about longer? Im still not really convinced that lootboxes alone will do it.
I like the game as is but id also like to see it grow and continue to develop past what is even currently being thought of.
Surely there will be free things maps skins characters, but after the first year or two do you really expect to continue to get only free additions?
08/10/2016 07:32 AMPosted by ALT
Sometimes we want to give everything to everybody. For example, a few weeks ago we gave everyone a new hero -- Ana.

Definitely worded badly. The guy is merely trying to say that sometimes we get free stuff (new heroes and maps), sometimes we don't, like exclusive cosmetics. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.
08/10/2016 07:32 AMPosted by ALT

It's probably the part where he uses the qualifier "sometimes" in relation to a hero that has you understandably worried.
They were explicit about maps and heroes being free. Adding special cosmetics you can't buy with gold is different.
They can't sell characters and maps because it will divide the playerbase between those who have these new characters/maps and those who DO NOT. Which in turn will more than likely reduce the overall playerbase.

As for cosmetics however bet your !@# you will be paying for these. Blizzard are making a killing from cosmetics (900 MILLION in the first quarter). So OFC they want more of where that came from. Get your purses ready ladies because you will be PAYING FOR COSMETICS. All day every day, every wednesday and friday.. saturday.. monday etc
08/10/2016 07:23 AMPosted by ALT
I'm not a huge fan of microtransactions, but it's never bothered me because I rarely find a cosmetic that makes me want to spend money.

I bought this game for $60 with the knowledge that I would be buying an experience that I could enjoy for at least several years. Free hero and map updates supplemented by optional microtransactions seemed fine to me. Buying Origins Edition was my way of throwing my support behind future content, but I've been made to doubt that that that content will be provided as advertised.

Say it isn't so Jeff.

When we add Maps and Heroes to this game, they will be free.
08/10/2016 08:51 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Say it isn't so Jeff.

Like Jesus Christ himself, the only perfect human ever, had haters. So no matter what you do or say, people will always hate you Jeff.

That being said, I REALLY hope you keep your word on this. And PLEASE never, ever do a special event like this again unless you make DAMN clear that you CAN or CANNOT buy items with real cash

Say it isn't so Jeff.

Thank you for the confirmation, I wish it would stop the forum spam, but I sadly doubt it will. :[

Say it isn't so Jeff.

As it should be :)
Highly Rated

Say it isn't so Jeff.

For a price.
-
Mercy :^).
This feels like it will be more controversial than it should be with the recent summer skin controversy...

Edit: A more direct response to the criticism of the microtransactions would be appreciated. I dislike them quite a bit personally.

Edit: I'm a bit confused why this post is getting downvoted when the other ones I post saying the same thing are upvoted?

Edit: Annd I'm upvoted, alrighty, thank you that's kind of you random forum members!
08/10/2016 08:52 AMPosted by Arct1c0n
<span class="truncated">...</span>

So no matter what you do or say, people will always hate you Jeff.

I wonder why?????????

Say it isn't so Jeff.

Look jeff is bored again and is responding to forum post's that have
"Jeff please respond"
Highly Rated

http://i.imgur.com/AzZMAFM.png

Say it isn't so Jeff.

With that statement it certainly means there will be many more event that can't be bought with in-game currency which I am fine with.

However, will there be new skin that can be bought with the currency? Or it will simply be used for new heroes skin?