Please can we have Save Replay and spectate only feature?

General Discussion
08/11/2016 08:41 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We are very excited to get the opportunity to work on both of the features that you mentioned -- a replay system and a spectate only feature.

Both have been on our schedule for some time but have gotten bumped for different reasons. The same people who would work on those features ended up being re-prioritized to working on high bandwith server technology, Season 2 competitive mode changes and matchmaking improvements. We also have another feature request in front of the replay system -- the ability to save highlights. Some of the work here is a step towards replays (another top requested feature) so it makes sense for this to come first when the time comes.

We're as excited as you guys are for these features. We're really hoping to get time on them.

I would like to say, that a great plus to the Spectate feature would be the option to add / connect the twitch stream of said person, and so that when you click on the "Spectate" it would take you to that person's Stream if online, maybe ingame player or just external.

That would really boost up the interaction for all of those Streamer's that don't really have those many viewers and starting up.

Also my second suggestion, would be, please add a text line under the queue, so that it says "Searching for Competitive" or "Searching for Quick Play", because it's really annoying to get invited in full group and to be already queued and instantly put into ranked without anyone saying anything and you not knowing if it's quick play or competitive.

Best Regards,

Shimmy
08/11/2016 07:17 PMPosted by joshisnot11
08/11/2016 01:40 PMPosted by Butterr

I too would love the ability to save both highlights and games that I've played, so I can personally improve on my gameplay and savor the good moments, that could have been PoTG.

Is there not a standard app for saving footage on PC? I guess because Xbox has had it for a while I assumed it was easy on PC.

There's no standard, there's a plethora of software available from different developers. Nvidia Shadowplay, Microsoft Xbox app for windows 10, Open Broadcast Software, among others. People just don't research it and because there's no keyboard button saying SHARE they don't know how to do it.
08/11/2016 10:45 AMPosted by Naughtyxx
08/11/2016 08:53 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Lots of information coming next week.

Gamescom is really..... SOMBRAcom ?????

As I keep saying, it was Emrakul all along.
08/11/2016 08:43 AMPosted by MrFurious
any way we could get info on new season 2 competitive mode features and improvements?

We are very excited to get the opportunity to work on both of the features that you mentioned -- a replay system and a spectate only feature.

Both have been on our schedule for some time but have gotten bumped for different reasons. The same people who would work on those features ended up being re-prioritized to working on high bandwith server technology, Season 2 competitive mode changes and matchmaking improvements. We also have another feature request in front of the replay system -- the ability to save highlights. Some of the work here is a step towards replays (another top requested feature) so it makes sense for this to come first when the time comes.

We're as excited as you guys are for these features. We're really hoping to get time on them.
Pretty cool!

Why don't you hire more people? Lots of very smart American programmers are unemployed and you work for a company worth like $15 billion.

Just saying...
Yeah just hire more people so you can work on more than one thing at a time. If season 2 has problems, this stuff will just get delayed further.

The "list" is getting longer and longer and some of the stuff on there is pretty basic for a competitive shooter.
08/11/2016 08:49 AMPosted by kirsch
golly, with their "brilliant" "marketing" of the "great" summer event items, it sure would be nice if they could hire some people and add some cool features to the game instead of having to "redirect" everyone into the bare minimum we need to make the game playable

One of the problems that led to Titan(The game that basically created Overwatch for those of you who don't know) being a failure was the team was too big a smaller team was what made Overwatch a success

Just wanted to say that I can't express how awesome the communication has been between the OW team to the community. Thank you. Excited for the changes!
Yeay, 60 tick servers are already live. Thanksies.
Am sure this has already been considered but just to mention, spectate only would mean a spectator cannot mic or type in chat to anyone /whisper etc, friend or not for game duration for competitive of course as is currently allowed with chatting while spectating in quick play..
08/12/2016 02:38 AMPosted by ilimlya
Am sure this has already been considered but just to mention, spectate only would mean a spectator cannot mic or type in chat to anyone /whisper etc, friend or not for game duration for competitive of course as is currently allowed with chatting while spectating in quick play..

Yeaah you can be in other chats/voips with your friend. So there needs to be at least a 3 minute delay.
08/11/2016 08:36 PMPosted by SubZero
Pretty cool!

Why don't you hire more people? Lots of very smart American programmers are unemployed and you work for a company worth like $15 billion.

Just saying...

Adding more people has heavily diminishing returns. They could double the team and things would not get developed anywhere near twice as fast. In fact, at some point you hit a too many cooks in the kitchen problem.
08/12/2016 02:43 AMPosted by Foogley
08/12/2016 02:38 AMPosted by ilimlya

Yeaah you can be in other chats/voips with your friend. So there needs to be at least a 3 minute delay.

3 minute delay on entire match for spectators? That is a good idea else people can easily give away key info to in game players via external chat/voip if spectating in live real time

a very big thank you, Jeff, for replying, and a big thank you to all those who bumped this topic for it to get noticed and for the positive upvotes.

i know it was mentioned before regarding the saving highlights part, but wasn't quite sure about getting to save the whole match itself or to spectate only. thanks for the clarification, certainly a lot of things to look forward to in season 2!

So now that we will have the ability to save highlights. how about a top 3 plays of the week picked by you guys I know you have been working really hard just 2 cents to throw in the bucket

Keep up the good work!
08/11/2016 06:57 PMPosted by DeeWee
Today i played 6 ranked matches. One after another. I made the most kills and dmg, i really played well. After watching some pros, I should at least be at 65 with no problem. But why do i always get that sort of refugee mates, that are only flaming and useless as !@#$`? Just why? When i loose, i loose so many competetive points. I thought this isn't league of %^-*!@s, but I was wrong. Sorry guys, we were tricked into another Riot game

Clearly you don't deserve 65
Made sense to launch game maybe with lower tick rates at launch but now it doesn't make sense anymore and i am glad they updated it :)
I'll defiantly start playing more now :)
08/11/2016 08:49 AMPosted by kirsch
golly, with their "brilliant" "marketing" of the "great" summer event items, it sure would be nice if they could hire some people and add some cool features to the game instead of having to "redirect" everyone into the bare minimum we need to make the game playable
Please never start or manage a business. I would hate to see all the people you hired end up jobless when the business goes under.
08/11/2016 08:36 PMPosted by SubZero

Pretty cool!

Just saying...

lol that would be better suited for their HR dept. If you feel you are qualified then go for it http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/directory.html#region=Americas
based on jeff's wording i thought high bandwidth would come before the season 2 changes. since it turned out to be true, i suppose the replay system isn't too far off.
08/12/2016 10:09 AMPosted by Izanami
based on jeff's wording i thought high bandwidth would come before the season 2 changes. since it turned out to be true, i suppose the replay system isn't too far off.

Replay will take a long time. It's a big feature. Don't forget, I mentioned that we will address saving highlights before replays (the work helps with replays anyway).

But doing replays correctly is a lot of work... just trying to set expectations in a realistic place.