Mercy was a renown surgeon at age 17?

General Discussion
The picture from Ana's origin was said to be 20 years ago. She's currently 37, so she joined Overwatch at the age of 17. By then Overwatch had recognized her ability as a renown surgeon and has a masters in Nanobiotechnology. How can that be possible?

I'm in medical school and in my country it takes 6 years after you graduate from high school to complete your medical degree and 4-5 more years to be a surgeon and then an additional 2-4 years to take a masters on another medical branch.

I'd say she bought her degree of online and started from there lol.
she's probably some kind of attractive genius. i think those exist. if she's anything like artemis fowl, she probably did all that college stuff by age 12 haha.
08/17/2016 10:28 AMPosted by StylishCat
The picture from Ana's origin was said to be 20 years ago. She's currently 37, so she joined Overwatch at the age of 17. By then Overwatch had recognized her ability as a renown surgeon and has a masters in Nanobiotechnology. How can that be possible?

I'm in medical school and in my country it takes 6 years after you graduate from high school to complete your medical degree and 4-5 more years to be a surgeon and then an additional 2-4 years to take a masters on another medical branch.

I'd say she bought her degree of online and started from there lol.

Have you ever heard of a female top tier fighter pilot? Or female top tier e-sport athlete?

It's fantasy for a reason, things that don't happen in real life happen in fantasy.
In Overworld it is possible!
Her talents where dicovered early so she blizzed school and university.
Interesting that your point of comparison to a video game hero was yourself.
She joined starfleet really early. Like, right out of the crib.

Someone should call Anderson Cooper.
Mercy doesn't age anymore. She's perpetually 37. Has been for 20 years.

Tracer doesn't age anymore either, but for different reasons than Mercy.
Hey, if a person is alarmingly smart and talented enough, they'll be rushed through many courses because they already understand it. People graduating from high school and colleges at very young ages, for example.

There was a relatively recent 10 year old who graduated high school because of how easily he understood what was being taught to him. Imagine that plus powering through college courses just as quickly. Mercy being somewhat of a genius could have had her doctorate by age 15 for all we know.
There are several kid geniuses who go in and out of college before becoming an adults, sometimes before becoming a teen. I'm kind of surprise that there is one in a video game, but I think it's cool to have that. I really enjoy stories where everything is not spelled out.

Here's an article on some real life ones.
http://www.teachthought.com/uncategorized/the-10-youngest-college-students-of-all-time/
wtf it's a video game why are people treating this like the real world
Ever heard of Doogie Howser?
A few answers!

• While Mercy is extremely intelligent and completed her education at a younger age (and in a shorter amount of time than usual), she definitely did not join Overwatch at age 17
  • Mercy and Tracer both age
I've heard of more than one child prodigy that finished college before they were 15. It's highly unlikely but plausible.

Besides, this is Overwatch--a group of people who proved themselves exceptional at whatever it is they did. Having a child prodigy in the ranks isn't that far-fetched--even if she wasn't a child when she joined.
08/17/2016 10:40 AMPosted by Michael Chu
A few answers!

• While Mercy is extremely intelligent and completed her education at a younger age (and in a shorter amount of time than usual), she definitely did not join Overwatch at age 17

• Thank you so much for the answers.

Then it's either the info about the picture was 20 years ago was false or she knew the Overwatch team before she joined Overwatch.
    A few answers!

• Thanks for answering some lore topics lately, this is really interesting for some of us.
    A few answers!

• "answers"? all you've done is give us more questions

just lay out a timeline FFS, you've done nothing to address the quandary the OP raised.

why does figuring out the who's who and what's what of this story feel like putting a puzzle together? a puzzle that is missing pieces, with pieces from different puzzles randomly mixed in.

throw us a freaking bone
    All I know is Genji x Mercy should be an official thing.

Also it's totally possible that Mercy rebuilt his !@#$%. A man in the UK recently had his ^-*!@ rebuilt after losing it in a childhood accident. I can only imagine what they could do with Overwatch technology.
    She studied under Doogie Howser and Buckaroo Bonsai.
    A few answers!

• Ow, my headcanon!
    I always wondered about the aging thing. Thanks for clarifying!