Season 2 - Why no Stopwatch?

Competitive Discussion
People use it since closed beta and it's working well.
I really don't like the time bank system where a match takes an hour or so, just because you have to play the same map over and over again.
We've made a lot of improvements to reduce match time in Season 2. Lots of little changes that should add up to make a big difference. We feel like Time Bank is a system that has a lot of the same advantages Stopwatch does while retaining more of the natural drama that's built into the core gameplay of Overwatch. These new changes bring us even closer to Stopwatch, in many ways.

And that's really odd that you're seeing hour long Time Bank matches. Our stats show that the average Time Bank match in Season 1 lasted 16.37 minutes.
08/15/2016 11:51 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

And that's really odd that you're seeing hour long Time Bank matches. Our stats show that the average Time Bank match in Season 1 lasted 16.37 minutes.

Thank you for your response and I'm sure that was just a bit of hyperbole. Some times they feel like they take an hour but obviously it's easily less than 20 mins most of the time.
We've made a lot of improvements to reduce match time in Season 2. Lots of little changes that should add up to make a big difference. We feel like Time Bank is a system that has a lot of the same advantages Stopwatch does while retaining more of the natural drama that's built into the core gameplay of Overwatch. These new changes bring us even closer to Stopwatch, in many ways.

Have you considered making these stats public? They sound like they would be super interesting to look at.
I'm mostly fine with time bank, the one thing I would like is that for capture points it should count the ticks (those 3 notches on the capture gauge) to determine who made more progress towards the capture.

For example, if both teams are stuck on point A on Hanamura, but team 1 gets 2 ticks towards the capture while team 2 gets no ticks, team 1 wins (currently this is considered a tie). This is similar to how it works for payload where it compares how far you push the cart even if neither of you get to the checkpoint.

I'm sure it's a lot faster at lower skill ratings, but at 70+ it's usually around 40 minutes for a Time Bank match.
It may be 16.37 minutes of actual game time, but it is definitely longer than that overall time.
I like the idea of time bank. I still think it would be nice to have a stop watch rule set implemented for custom games.
I personally enjoy time bank much more. Stopwatch was in the game dirty bomb which I played for a bit, and it was very unsatisfying to just have the game... Stop. Time bank is essentially just as fair as stopwatch but it makes it a little more exciting and doesn't feel as clunky. It also gives the possibility of a comeback, something that's impossible with stopwatch. I think it's much more satisfying and feels much better than stopwatch, it feels very clunky.
08/15/2016 12:48 PMPosted by Flea
It may be 16.37 minutes of actual game time, but it is definitely longer than that overall time.

This. Total time from exiting the queue to leaving the game after the score screen is usually at least half an hour, unless there's a stomp. Not that I mind that much. A single competitive match is obviously much more of an investment, and as long as we're not actually spending an hour on a game, I like spending a little more time on a competitive game. There's always quick play for when I just want a little bit of OW to relax after work. Quick play really is absurdly quick.
Stopwatch is a flawed solution and I really appreciate Blizzard working hard to give us a better alternative.
08/15/2016 12:11 PMPosted by Candle

Have you considered making these stats public? They sound like they would be super interesting to look at.

So much this.

I get the concern of information misinterpretation or possibly exploitation, but more transparency would be incredibly appreciated.
I don't want to see stopwatch and ties are perfectly fine for a league mode like competitive is.

Tournaments can use differents ruless as tie-breakers such as a round on a KOTH map.
08/15/2016 11:45 AMPosted by Dogx
People use it since closed beta and it's working well.
I really don't like the time bank system where a match takes an hour or so, just because you have to play the same map over and over again.

It "works", but personally I never liked Stopwatch scoring systems. I love that Jeff and the team are digging in their heels and trying other ways to make it work.

I think Time Bank with ties being a possibility will be a great way to go.
08/15/2016 12:25 PMPosted by Terotrous
I'm mostly fine with time bank, the one thing I would like is that for capture points it should count the ticks (those 3 notches on the capture gauge) to determine who made more progress towards the capture.

Yes make it happen!
It felt very punishing to get a tie after almost capturing the final point while the enemy didn't even get near it...
Maybe even make it 5 ticks or a scale of 0-100 of capture %, so the team which reached the highest % during a game on a point wins...