Autohotkey aimbot cheaters are still a major problem

General Discussion
Every single move programmed into a macro key is a legal move. The macro just strings a bunch of them together. It's a problem but i don't think it is one that can be detected. THey can't do anything about it as is evidenced by their solution to the fire spread reduction macro people were using with Soldier. They couldn't address the macro so they just nerfed his gun spread instead.

I know it sucks but you guys are asking them to do something they cannot do. Just one more obnoxious thing about playing shooters on the PC. For all the good, the hacks and macros and crap really are a significant downside.
08/22/2016 06:46 AMPosted by STYL
STOP. First off. You cant ban AHK it wont work. Its open source you cant stop someone who really wants to use scripts.

Second. !@#$ you. There are no hacks that you can use through auto hotkey. I have a million scripts I run on a daily basis from automating work tasks to controlling media on my computer.

The "triggerbot" yea that is actually garbage and will hurt your playing. They work off a thing called pixel detection and they have been around since the very first FPS games...and have always been !@#$.

I'm tired of little %^-* birds like you trying to get AHK user banned in any game we play just because you're ignorant abut the program or scripting in general.

I've been working with AHK and Autoit for a long time, there are no legitimate cheats with these scripting languages.

Dont worry about script kiddies trying to make triggerbots and %^-* and look for REAL injected cheats made by actual paid coders.

Wow. That's some real anger there. Calm down.
Ahhh reminds me of this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcS5CH0dk6k
Remember back in the day when you can open a game's config files and create autohotkey scripts/binds yourself, and no one gave a single crap?

TF2, Counter-Strike and Quake 3 Arena remember.
This is all great in theory until you realize that it's way harder to implement than you can imagine. I use AHK for particular tasks during my workflow. I should not be forced to remember to turn it off just because someone can use it to cheat the game. I've never so much as considered it for that possibility, but by your standard if I forget even once, I get banned for no reason.

Either leave it as it is, or figure out a way to have Overwatch or whatever their anti-cheat system is called, detect whether or not a script is actively affecting the client.
Blizzard is trying to eliminate macro/autohotkey use by making it mechanically not possible to give an advantage, while this takes alot of careful mechanic tweaks, it is doable, the alternative is to go after these people using anti cheat software, which is a much less effective and harder to achieve method, the macro coding will constantly change, so their anti cheat software will have to as well to adapt to the new code.

The reason I think they are choosing to eliminate this through mechanics instead of anticheat software is that these programs are 3rd party and/or hardware based, meaning their anti cheat would have to do some pretty invasive system scans to detect them, which is an ethical gray area for a company to be in, many people might not be too fond of the idea of blizzard tracking every program being run on their computer whether they are cheating or not.
Yea, I've never seen a game make one of the most fundamental aspects of a shooter have the OPPOSITE effect, like making S76 become LESS accurate by making short controled bursts.

It's just crazy and it punishes regular players because it even weakens him at midrange where he's meant to shine.
I think it will be very hard to do. Like in cs:go we have something called external hacks where it runs a layer ontop of cs:go so its running individually away from cs:go so the anti cheat cant detect it the only way valve found a way to stop this was doing the replay system where people reviewed replays of potential cheaters. But with that came people getting banned for no reason sometimes like high level smurfs playing with friends getting banned for being legit, Im a main LEM all my friends are silver so I need to bought a new acc to play with all of them I got banned for cheating apprently after that happened i never touched that game again. And valve really doesnt give a !@#$ if people complain about banning people because theyre game is like 15 dollars but this game is 40-60 so of course people getting wrongfully banned will cause a higher "flare" of people getting butthurt if they did get wrongfully banned. So in my opinion its a sensitive topic and hard to implement
I mentioned in the OP the program is legitimate and primarily is used for reasons other than cheating in games. Ideally we would want a system implemented that could detect it interacting with the game, but this is not going to be reasonable given how it works. That would be the preference though, because then bans can be handed out. The worst part of the cheaters using this in the game is that they are evading bans even when their cheats are countered. So we continue to have cheaters who will move on to the next thing not losing their accounts.

An alternate would be locking you out of the game if you have autohotkey code running. Obviously having the program or a script compiled with the language residing on your HD would not be an issue. But if it is running, hence residing in memory, then Overwatch could give you a notification that you are running AHK or similar and cannot play the game until that process is terminated.

One way or another, they need to handle it. Otherwise we will have a game that will become more and more infested with cheaters using these sort of cheats if there are no account actions that are being doled out for their use. The worst offense of these cheaters is that legitimate players are having their gameplay experience ruined indirectly by actions to counter cheaters; see S76 spread recovery nerf.
You can't hate on me for this, but Blizzard can't just ban everyone who using scripts/macros in a legit way or not. Keyboards and Mouse come with them this generation, I have razer and logitech gaming mouses/keyboards that come with it. What if I had the macro system open in the background but never used it? Blizzard is just going to ban me for using a peripheral that they also use? That makes no sense, just focus on internal injection hacks and figure out a different way to ban macro users that actually are cheating, not just using it to help themselves with peripherals.
08/22/2016 07:29 AMPosted by STYL
08/22/2016 07:18 AMPosted by Noway
"This is an AHK script that searches within a defined parameter for a players health box. When a health box is found it aims at that player. simple enough. There is a high likely hood that this could get you banned, so use with caution."
This is what I found on the first OW cheats website.
But no, it's impossible to do, no one could.
"High likely hood"

Yea the scriptwriters making those know its like a 98% chance that will be detected I think scripts like this are made to mess with stupid people like OP. External cheats like color aimbots pretty much died in early 2000s since they are just so useless and so easy to detect.

If it's not injected then you dont have to worry.

I'd be more concerned with people making their own direct x wallhacks. They are easy to make and not always easy to detect. I think these have been the biggest issue plaguing PC FPS games. Not AHK scripters.

Wrong!
Anything that hooks into a game and reads memory can be detected seen by many users who already tried it. The game crashes depending if the program reads certain data or not.
An AHK script however is almost impossible to detect since it does not in any way hook or read memory from the game.
The only way for Blizzard to ban users like this is based on mouse movements (Not Illegal, but harder to tell)and monitor your programs running in your background (which is illegal unless stated in their ToS)
You can easily make something that just searches based on the coordinates of your monitor and have it look for certain pixels based on an image and have the mouse move to that location which is very hard to detect in anyway unless you in fact monitor or collect data from the user which in return is still illegal to do.
You don't even need AHK to make something like this. The best solution for blizzard would be to get rid of red outlines and hp bars, but we all know that wont happen.
the most likely thing would be for them to ban based on mouse movements which is still hard to do.
The struggle is real :(

https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=18&p=103769
I don't know what the best solution would be, but I've seen aimbots in action on kill cams as recently as tonight and they just decrease the fun of the whole experience of the game. Even something like a macro that performs a Q-E-Shift combo like someone else in this thread mentioned: by definition, that requires less work than manually pressing those keys yourself, which puts other players without that automation at an unfair disadvantage. It's really not that much different in principal as a triggerbot or aimbot.

It's still part of the Core Gameplay Mechanic that's being automated as an advantage that other players might not have, which inherently introduces balance issues no matter which character you're playing as.
^That being said though, I wouldn't want users to be automatically banned if they have macro scripts running that are unrelated to the game. That would be unfair to them.

But forcing those users to disable those scripts while Overwatch is running? That seems like an elegant solution in theory, but I'm sure in practice it'd be an absolute mess to implement, and if it's not going to marginally increase Blizzard's profits to do so, I doubt we'll see any traction on that.

:(
08/23/2016 01:07 AMPosted by Astinad
I don't know what the best solution would be, but I've seen aimbots in action on kill cams as recently as tonight and they just decrease the fun of the whole experience of the game. Even something like a macro that performs a Q-E-Shift combo like someone else in this thread mentioned: by definition, that requires less work than manually pressing those keys yourself, which puts other players without that automation at an unfair disadvantage. It's really not that much different in principal as a triggerbot or aimbot.

It's still part of the Core Gameplay Mechanic that's being automated as an advantage that other players might not have, which inherently introduces balance issues no matter which character you're playing as.

Not really because think about WoW some newbies and players have no clue about macros or just don't use macros which are implemented into the game, it is still a unfair disadvantage to the people using it, but its legal and allowed. It is their loss that they aren't losing it. Unless Blizzard comes and make it clear that we can't use macros even if it has nothing to do with the game, then it would make sense, but for now I don't see the problem using macros. I don't use them but some people who run into a someone using a macro, its their loss because they also aren't using a macro just like WoW
Problem with this is are you going to ban people from playing with keyboards that can be programmed with macros? I could put a bunch of macros on my keyboard and mouse so that combos would be one click and such. But I don't, for one I doubt it would give me much of an advantage but even if it did I don't want it.

Just do what Arenanet does with GW2, ban people using macros, but make it clear to the community wether or not macros are allowed. If I remember correctly in GW2 even using a continous doubleclick macro to open bags risks you getting banned just because they don't want you macroing combos getting an advantage in PvP. Should be pretty easy to detect if the keypresses are always the same amount of time from eachother or too quick. If it happens x amount of times ban the account.
08/21/2016 12:53 PMPosted by Pooka
This explains why there are so many triggerbot mccrees out there lately

This is something entirely different.
Since i got a keyboard that supports Macro keys, using the logitech gaming software.
Can anyone explain what is allowed and what is not allowed?

i personally use the macro keys to enter in commonly used lines in team or game chat.
For those worried about forgetting that this software was running, it would be quite easy for them to throw a notification up that it was detected upon launch and ask you to close it.

I had an outdated version of FRAPS on my machine and had it running when I started OW. I got a big warning window that this software was unsafe to run with OW (it was just warning me about potential crashing / incompatibility). Obviously, this was just a warning about the game running properly in my case, but it wouldn't be hard to do the same kind of thing with AHK software.

"hey you're running AHK, please close this before launching OW as it is not allowed per our EUL and could result in account suspension / bans."

I don't think that's unreasonable.
One week till Season 2 starts. This aimbot is still functional and being used. It's users have still not been banned.